Best performance tires for the street? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best performance tires for the street?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PininfarinaSF, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    The longitudinal grooves in the Michelin make it more prone to deformation, less precise...

2. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Hmm - why then do all the F1 tyres have the longitudinal groove, it is to improve the precision - I'm not sure your information is correct

3. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Because of FIA limitations. By grooving the tires they make them handle less well in bends->less transversal acceleration handled->lower speed....

4. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Yes, and the grooved F1 tires actually far outperform the slicks they ran just five years ago.

How?

Improvements in the chemical makeup of the compounds.

The Pilot Sport Cup is the premier tire on the market today for those splitting time between the track and daily driving. The tread pattern doesn't matter, the compound is the priority.

5. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I dissagree with the Kuhmo statements made above. While they are a great value, they are not the best tire available for a high performance car. I have had them and was very dissapointed in their tramlining, wet performance (when worn a bit), and the sudden loss of grip when pushing the car. Where as the S-03 and Michelin Pilot Sport are very easy to control at the limit and give plenty of audible warning before breaking traction. I would have no problem putting Kuhmos on my daily driver, but not a car that is capable of high performance driving. Just my .02 cents.

6. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    George,

All the tires mentioned here are far too exotic for a Geo Metro. Call Tirerack.

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    George, you do know that one image of you standing inbetween your cars will 'quell the haters.'

8. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    I'm not sure it would, but I would be glad to post as many as you like if people would stop bashing me.

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I for one have no reason not to believe you or not, nor do I really care that much, but I am just trying to help out as a neutral party.

10. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    LOL Solly!!!!!!!!

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    God bless this kid if he has the cars in his profile. I wouldn't mind having one of them at his age (which was only a few short yrs ago for me)!
    A friend of mine just got the F1 GS-D3's for his camaro SS. IF you drive in the rain, these are great tires. If you will never see rain, then you could go with something that wasnt made to handle rain as good as the D3's. Maybe the BF goodrich G-Froce KD's are good? anyone have any experience with them?

12. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    I was almost going to post some pictures, but its a little more fun to let the jerks make fools of themselves. WOW, theres a doctor/corporate CEO and some other business men talking smack about me, maybe if there that worried about it, they don't have what they say they have themselves? Atleast I'm more mature than some people on this board. I thought the point of the board was to promote the hobby of fine italian autos?? Much thanks to everyone else that is only paying attention to the auto content.

Anyways, I think i'm going to go with the Pilot Sport Cups if they make a large enough size, a lot of people on this board seem to like them and I've read a lot of great things. Are the Pzero Corsas and the Pilot Sport Cups pretty equal in handling and steering response or would you prefer one of the other?

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Hey Georgie - where do you hang out in AZ? are you a member of FCA? have you even been on any of their drives? There are a couple of Lambo owners who come along almost every weekend. Do you get your cars from the local dealer? Who services your Lamb?

I'm sure everyone would welcome you, even without a Ferrari right now. Just think how much time you'll save applying for membership when you take delivery of your Enzo.......

14. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Im not calling this new user a liar at all. It is hard to believe that someone so young could own those cars, but maybe his family has lots of cash...you never know.
    Anyway, pilot cup sports will not last long at all compared to a top of the line performance street tire and from what i understand, they are pretty expensive.

15. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    Mr. Papas, I live in scottsdale. I think my FCA membership just recently expired, I didn't renew it since I don't have the car anymore. I got both the 355 and the 360 from Gary Simon at scottsdale ferrari. There was actually a blue 575 that looks like yours there when I took delivery of my 360 in december 02, might it have been yours? That is a gorgeous car. I never wound up attending any of the FCA meets because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit in lol, but I would love to take the lambo out on some of those drives. Do you spend most of your time in arizona or california?

16. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to call people's attention to the Sumitomo HTR+ tire. I have a set of these on my C36 and I love 'em. Great in the rain, decent in the snow, plus they aren't terribly expensive. I'm sure they're not suitable for a Ferrari, but if you have a high-performance car you drive all year round, give them a good look.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR%2B

17. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Wow! This Pilot Sport Cup on a M3 CSL was beating the 360 CS on the Nürburgring! Both were stock cars!

good choice for the ring

cinquevalvole