Best place to buy Tubi | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best place to buy Tubi

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Stuh, Sep 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    you dont have to market a good product mate as it sells itself

2. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ajay,

Can you please expand upon this. I was told this week by Fcar main dealer that they (or any other authorized Ferrari Dealer) are not in a position to be able to install the Tubi exhaust system to my Ferrari (a new 360M).

They further advised me that as Tubi is not an authorized Ferrari product the official Ferrari dealer network are not permitted to supply or install these products.

They then reminded me that the Terms and Conditions of my warranty stated within my Warranty and Maintenance Booklet say, "The warranty expires if the vehicle has been modified mechanically or bodily or has had changes made in general without the authority of Ferrari (Spa)"

An explanation of the "not permitted" statement and the official warranty position would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

3. raks

raks Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    NW London
    Full Name:
    Raks
    The cats I could understand, but surely not the exhaust box as this normally is referred to as a wear and tear item. Although having never bought a new car, let alone a new Ferrari I wouldn't have a foggy ?!!

4. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I strongly suspect that this is the UK dealer network using legal clauses to squirm. Far from surprising in the UK at the moment.

Removal of cats is allegedly a no no, but I'm sure that anyone with a Tubi back box who suffered problems wiith anything other than the exhaust could argue loudly.

After all, Tubis are not exactly uncommon around the world (I believe US dealers fit them as options).

5. Jaz

Jaz Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    JAZ
    Thats right....in the US you can specify a Tubi as an optional extra... Could you ever imagine Rarri UK doing this.....

6. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Given this statement, how could Ferrari realistically say it invalidates the warranty here?

In addition, surely this is like saying that a Ford (or any other make) warranty is not valid if you go to Kwik Fit for a replacement exhaust within three years.

Does an exhaust qualify as a mechanical part under the terms of the warranty or is it classed as something else, like a tyre say. Replacing tyres clearly does not invalidate a warranty even though they are not necessarily recommended by the manufacturer.

Are there not competition laws that say you cannot take this stance?

Ken

7. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    an exhaust is enhancing the performance

8. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    You are mixing up the items covered by the warranty, with the terms and conditions of the warranty. It is the terms and conditions which dictate the validity of the warranty, but the parts that have gone wrong only dictate the validity of an individual claim.

Clearly an exhaust is a wear and tear item and probably isn't covered by the warranty. I don't have the words so I can't know that for certain, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect it. I think the terms are quite clear:

If you replace any part on the vehicle with a non approved part, then your warranty will expire. So, if you replaced your exhaust with a Tubi, but then one of the door handles fell off, then strictly speaking Ferrari do not have to honour the warranty claim and it is tough doo-dah.

Of course the situation I just described is quite ridiculous and one would expect dealers to apply an amount of discretion. However, I think that is exactly what you would rely on. If your cats went and you had a Tubi in place you'd have a much more difficult argument than if a door handle fell off.

The thing to do would be to keep the old exhaust and put it back on the car before making a warranty claim if you think the circumstances warrant it (no pun intended).

9. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
  10. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Those clips sound like they still have the cats fitted?

11. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Graham

This is the thread I originally found the sound clips in.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31395&highlight=capristo

Fchatter is HGParts who are a sponsor here - you could always pm him and find out more - if you can be ar5ed.

Cheers Kevan

12. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Thanks for the info Kevan but as you suspected, I can't be ar5ed :)

They just sound a little strangled to me.

13. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I was informed by a supplier of Capristo who had those clips that it was just the back-box.

Robert.

14. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    just downloaded em they sound the business

15. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I personally think the Tubi sounds better on the 355 its got a higher F1 pitch sound.

16. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Au contraire my friend.

The Tubi sounds flat in comparison to the Capristo. There aint no fatter lady than that found inside the Capristo :)

17. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    Is their uk supplier\fitter for the Capristo?

18. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    When you listen to he sound cards the Tubi just has that F1 noise.
    The Capristo has some F1 noise, but its has more low down V8 sound then the Tubi.

I need to really listen to one...

19. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    dont need to listen to tapes just listen to me capristo is the way forward i am getteing one over the winter

20. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I am getting my Tubi next week. I Geoffs Tubi on his 348 sounds awesome, actually better then 355.

Where are the Tubi sounds cards. We to compare.

21. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I am getting my Tubi next week. Geoffs Tubi on his 348 sounds awesome, actually better then 355.

Where are the Tubi sounds cards. We need to compare.

What does the capristo sound like on a 348 ????

Help, Have I ordered the right exhaust system.... I want F1 noise...

22. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Fair comment.

Those sound files didn't impress me either. They didn't do it justice at all and they were barely revving it. I wouldn't have bought one based on what I heard in them. Capristo's test pipes are silenced though so maybe it was fitted with those or, worse still, had the cats still on?

It's quite the opposite to the Tubi. Much less rumbling and much much more banshee like screaming. Christ it's loud!

If we ever meet in person it will be my pleasure to give you a demonstration :)

23. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Whats the price difference between the two system. Whats more expensive...

24. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Capristo is about £20 cheaper, that's all. Altogether it came to just over £2k for the full de cat system

25. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    I now have some 'live' experience of both Capristo and Tubi, from a pretty good position last night after we left The Lion.

First, Graham (Capristo, de-cat) passed me, with about 6000rpm on the clock. I'd estimate his speed to be around 80mph but he can confirm (or deny!) that. He was closely followed by Ade (Tubi, de-cat) going at the same speed and I would guess same revs (maybe they were in different gears, I dunno).

I observed two things: Firstly, the Capristo is significantly louder than the Tubi. Secondly, putting the volume to one side, the tone of the two exhausts is quite similar, although the Capristo is slightly more harsh. I wouldn't say it screams the way people have described. It may feel like it inside the car though.

One other thing to note - NEITHER of these exhausts sound like an F1 car. Not even close. I have never heard a road going car that sounds like an F1 car.

You should also remember that every exhaust (of the same make) sounds different to the next. For example, my Tubi sounds different to TonyH's, and we both have de-cat. His car is a 2.7, but even at idle they are quite different.