Best racing suit? Logos on suit? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best racing suit? Logos on suit?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Brian C. Stradale, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Research indicates that the coolest and most comfortable material to have is Knit Filament Nomex. Well, during 2003, Simpson introduced Knit Filament Nomex suits...

Like the Stand21, the whole suit is made of the stuff.
    Their MTO.25 is a 2-layer with TPP=25.
    But the price of the Simpson lands between the Pyrotect and the Stand21... closer to the Pyrotect.

QUESTION:

Does anyone have one of the new Simpson suits with the filament knit fabric?? Is it "breezy" like the Stand21's are??

Thanks!

Thanks,

Brian

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Best check with the sanctioning bodies you are likely to run with. The groups I run with require Nomex underwear with 2 layer suits, and that will be much hotter that a 3 layer without underwear.
    Some sanctioning bodies require Nomex underwear no mater what the suit, but many don't require it with a 3 layer rated suit.
    It all depends on who you run with.
    If all they want is any old suit, I'd be inclined to go with a light single layer, without knit cuffs, and take my chances on a fire.
    The chances of a late model Ferrari catching fire is fairly remote, and the best suit only provides a few seconds of protection.

PS, all Stand 21 suits are 3 layer rated.

3. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    I've heard it said more than once that more racers die from heat stroke every year than from fire. I don't know a source for that stat though.

4. mattcoles

mattcoles Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    If you embroider your overalls the embroidery must be done with fireproof stitching only going through the first layer of the suit. and if you add patches to be by the rules of most series you have to stich them only through the front layer of the suit, not all the way through as this adds tiny holes and puts un fireproof material into the suit..

Even though I have many F1 driver suits, such as Schumacher, Hakkinen, Dc etc and every now and again they even go against this when sponsors change at the last minute and sew all teh way through the suit, so i guess the rules are not always strictly enforced!

thanks, MC
    http://www.f1gp.tv

5. Edwin_360

Edwin_360 Rookie

Aug 3, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    i use the OMP TECHNICA LIGHT SUIT and am very happy with it. it is light, comfortable, and i like the feel of it. i paid $ 1,300 for it.

i also had a Simpson, cheap model, that was itchy and uncomfortable.

edwin

6. bmiller411

bmiller411 Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bruce B Miller
    I wear a fire suit when ever I'm working around race equipment or near the track. I feel better safe then sorry. You never know when or where a fire will happen. In my 25 years as a motorsports photographer, I've seen or been near the unexpected.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Our Southeast chapter only requires an up to date helmet. I always wear a suit myself. Why take chances? I have seen more than one Ferrari burning on the side of a track in my 13 years of FCA membership.

8. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
  9. bmiller411

bmiller411 Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bruce B Miller
    At the FC Event in Las Vegas this year, there was a 360 challenge car that caught fire just pat start finish. Diver belled and was ok.

Ferrari do catch fire just any other car - race car or not.

10. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I've always gotten my racing equipment from Demon Tweeks out of the U.K. They have fantastic prices and ship world wide.

When I first started racing I got, and still have, a Stand21 suit. It's nice but if I had to get a new one I'd probably go with SPARCO.

Demon Tweeks also will have the suit custom made to your measurements at a very nominal cost. And yes they use NOMEX thread as it comes directly from the factory.

Even with the exchange rate and shipping it's less expensive than buying here in the states.

For example Christmas special, SPARCO Sprint 5 Suit (two or three layer nomex)
    $347.31 - $409.18
    http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=SPA108548B

Other FIA approved suits here:
    http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductList.asp?cls=MSPORT&grp=MC001&pgrp=MP001&tlgrp=M001

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I went to a seminar given by the CEO of S21 hosted by the Racer's shop in Redondo beach , Ca. . He had a very constructive lecture on thermal problems/heat exhaustion in the race car. He is acutely aware of what the driver faces in the cockpit and shows some very convincing data for the positive benefits of S21 suits. Me...I just go fishing in the summer and put the car away until winter. I'd rather race in the rain than bake in the sun.