Best restaraunt not in New York City | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best restaraunt not in New York City

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by zjpj, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    Harvest on the Hudson in Hastings NY
    MT Fuji is really an experience in Hillburn NY
    chart house resturant in weehawken is pretty good from what i hear as well

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'm suprised you liked Harvest in Hastings. The physical plant is gorgeous, but its one of the most poorly run restaurants i have encountered. We lived not far from there, and when it first opened we frequented the place. The chefs keep changing, and so did the menu. The front desk was vacuous, and the manager never paid attention to the fact that we were regulars. They ****ed up every order i ever placed there, the service was by amateurs with attitude and little clue, and after i told one of the owners what was wrong, and went into a spiel about recognizing regulars and taking good care of them, he acknowledged it. The next time i was in there he looked at me like he never saw me before. **** them.

3. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    As long as we are talking Brooklyn, we might also want to include Grimaldi's Pizza (underneath the Brooklyn Bridge, down the block from the river cafe). IMHO, the best pizza in New York (i.e., compared to Totonno's, Patsy's, John's, etc.). Anyone else?

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Yeah, did Grimaldi's (aka Patsy's) from the get go, great pizza when they are on, but i've had some soggy ones there. My highest recommendation goes to the pizza at the Trattoria Del Arte (aka Cafe Nose) across the street from Carnegie Hall. Its a first rate restaurant disguised as informal, rustic dining, and in addition to the pizza (about as thin as can be made, a whole pie for one, they even make "white" pies with clams), they have an incredible array of antipasti. A little nicer than your average pizza dump.

5. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Il Toscano in Douglaston, Queens (adjacent to the train station) is excellent. Anyone on the board been there?

6. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti

I was only there once, it was because my friend works there.... this years superbowl party was there and i had a blast, food was buffet style, but everything good. I can see where your coming from, but judging fromt he fact that he works as a waiter and has a supercharged 2002 viper (which he spent over $120,000 on...i take it others like it. I have had no "paying" experience there, but teh owner seemed very nice. But then again that could have been due to the amount of alcohol i consumed :)

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There are good resturants in NYC? Huh, imagine that.

Dr "There ain't no place like Texas" Tax

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Hey Doc, I've been to Mo's BBQ many times!

DL

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Darth, which one is that? I don't into town much anymore. I'm thinking that there is a Mo's in the Spring Branch area. Is this the one you're talking about. We gots lots and lots of BBQ in da Bayou City. In fact, I regularly eat at the one in my back yard!

DrTex

10. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    On FM 1960 (Spring Bypass). Great Brisket! And they used to deliver Fed-Ex.

DL

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'll check it out. That's not too far from me...

12. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Doc,
    Lemme know if/how you liked it.

DL

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Flames will be on the list to try. It sounds great and I like the idea of being outside in the good weather. My wife and I are big Luger fans (Brooklyn only, the Great Neck location just didn't seem to match the original) and so will give Flames a try.

John

14. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

If you are just talking plain ol' awesome food my vote is WITHOUT A DOUBT for "Arthur's" in Hoboken, NJ. A quick train ride from the city, you cannot beat the steak and fries... add a nice tall glass of beer and you're VERY happy for about $26 a person.

Thank me later.

Nick

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Park & Orchard in East Rutherford is very good. I don't think it's quite as good as it's reputation (it's won awards from Wine Spectator, NY Times, etc), but it is way above average with prices that are lower than many lesser restaurants. The wine list is great, food is very good, and the portions are very large. They always have about 6 "by the glass" wine selections and they are often very good -- we typically sample those to discover new wines to drink at home. I'm not sure why, but the wait staff is less professional than the rest of the restaurant -- still it's a fairly special restaurant that is priced on par with "run of the mill" places like Outback. (http://www.parkandorchard.com/)

16. Ferrarispeed28

Ferrarispeed28 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    NY/AZ
    Full Name:
    Evan

Oh well you can really eay there and I think the one in Brooklyn is better though..