Best Restaurants You've Ever Been To | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Best Restaurants You've Ever Been To

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Ferrariguy2, Jul 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok, I'll take a chance. I just called American Express and had them make a reservation.

2. Lifeboatboy

Lifeboatboy Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    London, UK
    Dave - unless the rules have changed in the past 18 months, you need a collar and jacket. However, if you really want to make a 'scene' of it (I didn't the 1st time because I was on a work gig, but did 2nd time I was on a date, and decided to play the game), arrive without both, and watch the theatre unfold... Have a blast. P.S. Centurion concierge always have 2 tables on permanent hold until 2 hours before (ostentatious doesn't even come close). Have fun.

dstacy likes this.
  3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Lasserre looks to be quite reasonable for a 4 course meal... have not been.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    the last time we were at TFL it was still very good, Per Se - however I could seem some cracks ... service was not as good. this was just before COVID. but we are talking TLF in 2019. I know Keller personally, so I think he's just slowing down a bit... finding it harder to get key staff.

I do like Robuchon's places - have not been to the one in Metropole ... but in London probably one the best meals, and it was so un expected. the one in Vegas is a bit too showy, but the food is still very good, and to me that is what counts.

Le Grand Vefour in Paris I think just has the best of it all.. great food Guy Martin is excellent and he's at the stove every day... and location is beautiful and historic along with very good service... attentive without being overbearing, and still a touch snooty and formal. that is why its my fav.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Vincent's in Riga Latvia, the photos, in the first one, 2013, we were celebrating my main book coming out and also the novel I wrote at her suggestion, a very special day. Look at my desert; an iceberg to keep the sorbet cold...but don't let this make you think it is a gimmicky place, absolutely not, just brilliant. Second shot was 2015, can't wait to go back in July:)

http://www.restorans.lv/en/home/

When you leave or arrive in Riga, a beautiful city really worth visiting, it is very nice to take the ferry to Stockholm Sweden, it leaves at 5PM and arrives late morning the following day, a very nice mini cruise.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

arizonaitalian likes this.
  6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Okie dokie, you guys just made my life easier. I'll be in Paris 2 night. So Laserre on night one and Vefour on night 2.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I recommend Cafe Marly at the Louvre for lunch - relax, sit and watch the world go by while drinking wine and some foie gras or cheese... You cant get better view and a better place to hang out.... the architecture alone is worth it. while it sounds touristy, it's not. the food is good... not spectacular but good.... but location is perfect. even If you don't go into the museum at all. OR pre-dinner / post dinner drinks at Harry's on 5 Rue Danou..... bloody mary's and or james bonds...

my other lunch hang spot is the Cafe Vauban on place Vauban which is diagonal from Les Invlides... food is ok nothing special but great view, good wine, great place to relax outside, under the trees, chat, and absorb Paris. just enough view, people and food & wine.

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We hit the fresh markets each morning after coffee. So lunch is usually the baguette, brie, and bottle of rose, we picked up served in the Jardin des Tuileries or the Jardin du Luxembourg.

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    .....and we always schedule our train departure for early afternoon so we can have the lamb for lunch at Le Train Bleu.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Been through that train station a million times but never dined there, I need to put it in the agenda.
    Anecdotally that is where Mr Bean eats a whole lobster -with shell- and finds it hard work:D
    The waiter, played by wonderful and hugely popular actor Jean Rochefort, is perfect as the snotty Parisian dealing with ze eegnorhant foreigner turist:D

Just enter eating in Paris funny clip classic Mr Bean in youtube:p

armedferret likes this.
  11. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Dave:

Many of the tables and banquettes at Le Grand Vefour have little brass plaques denoting whose table that customarily was. When you call for a reservation ask for Napoleon & Josephine’s table by the window...your dining companions will be mightily impressed.

Alan
    N.J.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

arizonaitalian likes this.
  12. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    My favorites (not in any order):

Fluer De Lys - San Francisco (now closed) Hubert Keller
    Le George Four Seasons - Paris
    L'Osier - Tokyo
    Joel Robuchon - Paris & Vegas
    Quince - San Francisco
    Athenee - Paris
    Le Pavillon - Zurich
    Le Bernardin - NYC
    French Laundry - cliche' but really good food

13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    lol, I don't anyone has to worry about @dstacy meeting dress code! :D

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <chuckle>

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Haven't been to Harry's. Thanks for the tip, its on the schedule now.

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    His seat is up against the window on the collonade side, just as you come in. Colette is actually better as its in the corner. great view of the room. As a Napoleon fan I had to go 3x before I could get his table. It was not le Grand Vefour at the time of Napoleon - but Cafe de Chartres.... Jean Vefour came in the 1820's - but its about the worlds oldest restaurant as we know restaurants today. well worth the trip. Say Hi To Chef Martin for me!

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I love Harry's - my wife does not. It can get busy - and is usually filled with French vs. Tourists...I usually try to sit at the bar - service can be ... Parisian at the tables. the piano bar downstairs is way too tight for me...

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well, we're back home. We had dinner at Le Grand Vefour and Lasserre. I wish I could say we had a good experience at both.

Le Grand Vefour was a disaster. The inside seating was closed so all seats were outside. It was very obvious that most of their servers were new and very little knowledge of the entrees and menus. We ordered a starter, a couple glasses of wine, and an entrée, which were served promptly. Sadly my veal was cooked like a brick. Once we were served the entrée we never saw a server for the following 45 minutes. When I finally got up and went inside to inquire about a second glass of wine and some water I was apologized to and told they'd be right out. 20 minutes later I went back in, told them to forget about the wine & water, and asked for a check. The manager brought the check 15 minutes later and as he handed it to me said, "I'm sorry we didn't do well."
    Helen and I walked across the Palais Royal to the café on the corner and ordered a bottle of rose champagne, a cheese plate, and a chocolate mousse. It was pretty great!

Lasserre was a lot of fun. When we arrived they had the roof closed. Helen asked the head captain about it and he told her that someone had been pulling her leg. He emphatically stated the lovely gold ceiling wasn't going anywhere. He definitely had her going as he walked across the restaurant and flipped the switch. They both laughed.
    The plating was excellent. Food quality and service was top notch. The veal served with duck foie gras wrapped in the skin was just lovely. It was pricey but we knew that going in.
    How did I do on the dress code?

20. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Dave:

I’m very sorry to hear Le Grand Vefour was so far off the boil...that’s very disappointing. I’ll be in Paris shortly but I’ll be damn sure to avoid them until they get their mojo back (which they inevitably will).

I’m thinking of heading to Guy Savoy at the Mint again...our first time there was superb. Have you heard anything about Guy Savoy recently?

Alan
    N.J.

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the sympathetic thoughts.

No, I don’t have any “new news” on Guy’s but I’m with you, it was great the last time I was there.

22. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm impressed. I don't see any stains on your suit.

Well done!!

Texas Forever likes this.
  23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That’s why I have my arm pressed to my side, I’m trying to cover the Rago spaghetti sauce stain from the last time I wore the jacket! :D

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ….and by the way, to those of you heading over bring your wallet. Prices are WAY up. With the fall of the dollar against the Euro and the general increase in prices I saw prices that were between 30 and 50% higher than my last trip.
    It was NOT cheap.

25. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Any recommendations on the French Riviera?