Best state to live in | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best state to live in

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by GuardsRed, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas: No income taxes, no car sniffers (except Houston and Dallas), its hot enough that monochromosonals wear next to nothing most of the time.

2. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I live in the DC area and traffic is a nightmare around here. Went to college in Raleigh, NC and realestate is dirt cheap down there and easy access to the beach and pretty decent weather and a great sports town.

3. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    San Diego CA

On any weekend in winter I can:

Go to the beach
    Drive with the top down.
    Go skiing
    Ride dirt bikes or Dune buggies in the desert.

Eat lobster and drink Carta Blanca in Puerto Nuevo Mexico.

All of these are within 2 hours of my driveway.

Erich
    There is more to CA than LA

4. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    I don't know but I would start with a list of zero income tax states and compare it to a list of great driving road states. Then bingo!

5. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Florida:

great weather all year round (today high 70s and sunshine)
    no income tax.
    no emmissions
    long haul roads
    latin chicks
    multi cultural (I live there :))
    homestead protection laws
    sh*ty educational system = cheap labor = cheap prices :)
    no frost south of Orlando
    inexpensive housing
    great beaches on both sides
    3 good race tracks, including Sebring

Speedlimit raised to 70Mph

6. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I prefer Florida. Beautiful weather most of the year, no state income tax, and beautiful women.

7. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Martin,

Surely by "all year round" you mean Oct. through April. I've spent a lot of time in South Florida during the summer months and it's BRUTAL! Then again, it's better than South Jersey. :)

8. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    I'm not sure paying no state income tax should be high on your list. Those states either get it out of you another way (say, property taxes or higher local sales taxes, gas taxes, etc.), or simply have no money to maintain important things like, say, smooth roads for your Ferrari to drive on!

9. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
  10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Erich: what's LA? :D La Jolla is an AWESOME area! Some good friends live down there.

--Dan

11. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Florida gets tax from tourist.

12. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Cougs aren't that bad, I'm just a HUSKY... woof! :)

13. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Well after 23 years in the DC area, I had to escape... so now I'm in FL.. land of sunshine and no state taxes or emissions. VA emissions and safety inspection laws are ridiculous, not to mention the fact that VA and DC are the only two places in the US that you can't use a radar detector. However, DC is still the most beautiful city I've been to, so I still work there, but I get to go home on the weekends to sun and beaches :)

I lived in Seattle when I was a kid and loved it.. I plan on following DrTax's plan and buying a few small homes around the country so I can go where I want depending on my mood and the season/weather. FL in the winter, back to the mountains of Washington in the summer, and maybe a place in the desert as well just for kicks... I'm thinking my townhouse in FL with a Diablo in the garage for cruising the beaches, a place in the desert with a 550 for those long stretches of highway, and a place in the mountains of Washington with a 355 for ripping through the mountain twisties.. I could never settle on one place.

-R

14. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Dan wrote:

Erich: what's LA?

Exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactly

Erich

15. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    My god that photo is beautiful! OK guys Im packing up and going to the University of Alaska at Anchorage...There has to be a Ferrari up there somewhere.

16. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Jordan,
    There are some driving "hazards".

17. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I've lived a lot of places, and in the USA, I really like New England a lot. There is a lot going on - a center of business, culture, trade, finance, shipping, etc, etc. And if you want to go to Europe, you're not too far.

I have also lived in California (LA). I wouldn't live there again unless I was really loaded, retired, and had money to burn. I have been to San Diego and its really nice, but it's getting a lot of "overflow" from LA now it seems.

One place that stands out as being beautiful, temperate, and enjoyable to live to me is the San Francisco area. I've only spent short times there on occasion, but it does seem really nice from what I've seen.

I've heard CO is nice too, and heard Washington (state) is nice also.

I think Chicago is probably a lot like New England (visited but never lived there), but you don't have the oceans. New York is much like Boston too - although I slightly prefer Boston to NY. A lot of people say FL is a nice place to live... nice to visit but couldn't live there. Same with Texas.

You have to bear in mind that, basically, there is a cost associated with living, and "no income tax" doesn't save you as much as you may think. NH has no sales tax and no income tax (but pretty high prop. tax) and there are a LOT of things NH doesn't have that other states have. It depends on your preferences, but if you look at the most populated states, the 'richest' states, and those that have the highest standards of living, I bet New York, Massachusetts, California and Connecticut are on the top 10 lists.

18. 4rebob

4rebob Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Robert Taylor
    Jordan,

UAA !!! Come on up, I'll buy you lunch.

Mule,

When are you coming home?

19. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    18 Months and counting.

20. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Your secret is safe with me.

21. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Mule, that polar bear never seems to give up. Here he is again, attacking a nuclear submarine. Won't somebody throw that poor animal a bone? His name must be Starvin' Marvin.

22. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    You give him too much credit. He usually just sits around.

23. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    How can you beat this view? By the way, the mountains are about 120 miles away.

24. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    What are the roads like up in Alaska? I've been to Ketchican twice, pretty cool town with lot's of good drinking. The most popular bar in town had a Hawaii born guy working there, so he gave us a discount all night.

I'd probably choose Florida. You can buy property in the sticks and still go in to the city for all sorts of fun. Orlando is my favorite place I've lived. And the weather is pretty mild, plus you get great thunderstorms.

25. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    East coast has horribly humid summers. Really hate that. I don't enjoy being soaking wet by the time I get to work.