Best Time to Register your Car with the DMV? | FerrariChat

Best Time to Register your Car with the DMV?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ghost, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Guys,

When is the best time to register the car with the DMV? I currently have all the paperwork with me, including the Buyer’s Order, Odometer statement, Title, etc. Car is on its way to me, and should be here in 10 days. On one hand, I want to get the car registered right now, so that the registration is complete, and I have the license plate, etc. by the time the car arrives. On the other hand, there is also an argument for waiting, to make sure the car arrives safely, and there are no issues. Plus you get a little more float on the money you would otherwise pay in taxes. :)

Thoughts?

2. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Depends on your State law; here in Colorado you have to have a VIN verification by a local authorized shop, smog certificate and proof of insurance first, so here you have to have possesion before you can register a car. I did however get insurance the day the deal closed, 10 days before car arrived, just in case.

Colorado also requires all cars be insured and registered no matter what their condition - even a complete frame up restoration;