best used sports sedan? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

best used sports sedan?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by riverflyer, Aug 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mercedesbenze55amg

mercedesbenze55amg Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    I own a 2004 E55 AMG, and for a highway cruiser its great :) If you want it as a track car go with the BMW M5, also the new M5 does come with a stick shift. The E55 AMG is akin to a drag car, the M5 is a track sedan, and the RS6 is more of a winter, all weather fun car ya know?

2. mjc123

mjc123 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2004
    CA; TX; MT
    For under $50k, you can't beat an e39 M5.

3. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    a 2002 or 03 nissan maxima with a 6 speed. It can be had under $20k and comes with 255 hp. Won't be as fast as the other cars mentioned, but it really can scoot. Might get one myself but just found out that very few maximas were sold with the 6 speed even though it was listed as "standard". A "rare" Nissan indeed...

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, Dave, but it will still be ugly as hell. Great car though, too bad about the design. I have found several dinan s2 cars that put down 470hp so that might be a good compromise, although might also break the bank.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I would be cautious about the power claims and also the dinan mods. I recall with the first cars (m5/z8s) there were a few problems as they developed things, but I have been out of the m5 loop for some years now.

--Dan

6. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I like the Infiniti G-35 sedan. Also the Chrysler 300 SRT-8 (not really sure if its under 50k, its 59995 here in canada)

7. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    My strong suggestion would be test drive a CTS V series..

New they are selling for 44 grand...The car has 400hp and handles great. The motor is from the Corvette Z06 and its unbreakable and extremely inexpensive to maintain...

The car handles excellently ...has brembo brakes and a 3 year /36K mile warranty...

If you like the car and decide to keep it another 3 or 4 years just before the original warranty expires get GMPP for about a dollar a day...

I took it out on my Z06 and I haven't needed it...

I drive this car hard and its just keeps on going...Changing the shifter is a ten minute job...the aftermarket shifter costs less than 200 dollars to boot..Now its just snick..snick!

Same for the CTS V...

I would suggest you drive any of the cars your considering and then decide.

One drive in the CTS V and should be hooked...

Its that much fun...and less money to buy and to maintain too boot..

44 grand BRAND NEW!

Good luck and just my 2 cents fwiw..

8. HarFerrari

HarFerrari Karting

May 27, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Isaiah Harf
    Between a 540i or E39 M5 I would definitely get the M5 - mainly because you are getting more bang for your buck - which you probably already know. Used car wise, I just don't see the point of a V8 5-series (eats the same amount of gas as a M5 yet 120 hp less) - if you can afford the slight price increase go for it.

What about a new TL or G35 Sedan ? - both can be had in 6-speed form and are reliable to the max. I recently drove a '04 TL and had a ball. Passenger in a G35 sedan weekly - good cruiser.

I really like the older Audi's too. A6 - the 4.2 300 hp or the S8 (390hp) and the interiors are first class. S8 classy car - and doesn't ride like a big flagship sedan - sporty for sure.

When it comes to German-handling I think Audi and Bimmer are more drivers cars than Benz's.

Just my opinion - have fun and test drive.
    Isaiah

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    JW, isnt the CTS more of a 3 series size car then a 5 series? (I honestly don't know)

10. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

#35 b-mak, Aug 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I sold my E39 M5 after 47k, 4 sets of tires, 3 sets of door seals(TX heat kills 'em), used a quart of oil every 8-9000mi, was wonderful car. Early production, 1st boatload in '99. Added springs, software, big screen nav, and used it like a light plane. Saw 140+ for huge amounts of time, saw 180+ about once a month. Sniff. I hope she has a good home.
    I regret selling it. I'm looking for driver like it, but none I like. 03 may suit, but local dealer is teh suk now. E60 M5 is fetid.
    S4 Audi @ 54k or RS4 @ 75k may be good. E46 M3 has 2 mainbearing replacement campaigns...BBMW=Bavarian Blown Motor Werks.
    MB, I don't do automatics.
    RS6 but old nav, not as nice as it could be. Fast though.
    Used XJR nice car. S-type R just never did it.

12. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    ok, want to save $30K, and have a hell of a fun time???

Mercedes 500E/E500, the oringal W124 one, V8 330 HP, 347 lb-ft tourqe, very fast and fun and cheap!

perfect examples can be had for $20-24K and the build quality on them is awesome.... and very very fast, a little too fast, i had one for a while..... but it was too fast...

and if you dont like the auto tranny, i think rennspeed makes a 6 speed option for it and all the money u save could go towards that...

also they are rare!!! only 1500 brought into the US, and i think around 10,000 ever made... its a damn nice car and a nice sleeper car too

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The special E500's are rare but my XJ6 out handles those cars when you're craving more than just highway miles and mine isn't the R version. Nice V8 but neither car are in M5 territory. XJRs are very capable but unless you crave the styling and interior, the CTS-V is a better bang for buck. I'd still take an E39 over any of these except an RS6 or a QP.

Sunny

14. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Cornellcars, did you not find the CTS-V's steering as unassuring as I did? I was a bit nervous to take corners really hard because the steering didnt have enough road feel in it I thought...That said though, it definitely wasnt a bad car...but if I were in this buying situation I may get a pre owned M5 instead.

15. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Chalk up another vote to the E39 M5, I was hooked on the M3, had two deals fall apart on one and saw an M5 on a dealer's lot. The test drive had me convinced, the torque, the feel, the shear balance of the entire car was just amazing to me, especially at that size and weight. Plus it doesn't attract a lot of attention and I have found servicing it to be a lot more resonable than I thought it would be. Values have fallen on them to the point that I think they are a fantastic buy used.

I have been in the caddy, though never driven, and I would expect similiar speed, and probably much more to be had since mods on the Z06 are so easy. However I was turned off by the interior a bit, the BMW just felt like a more quality piece, although I must say the CTS is a huge step up for Cadillac.

Another option would be the E55, up to 2002 you should be able to find one well under 50k, more of a cruiser than the M5, more torque and an auto. A friend of mine has one and I like it a lot.

16. ja1997max

ja1997max Karting

Feb 10, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    M5.

I was fortunate enough to drive a *new* 2001 silver on black M5 with Supersprint exhaust on my 19th birthday and was blown away by the sound of the engine. Phenomenal car, an experience I won't forget owing all to my ex-gal who convinced this guy to let me drive his car.

17. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Consider a brand new 530 with 6 speed manual box, should get it out the door for 50k.

Even thought it does not have raw power of M5 it should deliver a smoother drive given its newer chasiss. Plus, the M5 looks are getting it dated now.

I choose the newer 530 for 50k over a used M5 for 40k+.

18. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    E39's great, though might not want one out of warranty. Manual E60 will be available (orderable) in 4-6 months. CTSV's a screamin' deal and worth a look (drive).

19. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    The M5 is a sweet car, same with the CTS-V. All depends, do you want Euro or American

20. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    This is great, thanks for all the thoughtful posts and ideas. I see I have some test driving to do. I have found quite a few m5's with some nice mods already done(paid for!) and still under warranty or with extended warranties.
    I tried out an e55 and just did not connect. I have always really liked the style of the clk55 amg. Anyone with seat time in that car?

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Did you miss where he repeatedly talked about a Dinan car? A 530 with a 6-speed isn't going to provide the same thrills given an equal chassis... :D

Jules: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... stop right there. Crusin' in an M5 and flogging it through the canyons, and ridin' in a 530 6-speed ain't even the same ****in' thing.
    Vincent: It's not. It's the same ballpark.
    Jules: Ain't no ****in' ballpark neither. Now look, maybe your method of canyon cruising and rubber squealing differs from mine, but, you know, touchin' that M5 shifter, and revvin' the tach on the Holiest of V8's, ain't the same ****in' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same ****in' sport. Look, regular 5'ers in this heavyweight car comparison don't mean ****.

22. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Honestly Jordan, I thought the steering was on par with the germans at high speed...it's iirc progressive and I can see how it feels a little sloppy at lower speeds, but I thought the feedback was decent (certainly not manual steering feedback, but better than MB and Audi by my estimation, maybe a touch behind BMW) and certainly not something that was constantly in my head doing 70-140...

23. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I feel like a Benz basher, but I think it's more due to the other cars you've mentioned and the type of driving you were discussing - I just personally find the MB offerings too 'soft' for the kind of spirited driving it sounds like you enjoy. I think any of the offerings from Bimmer, Audi, Caddy, etc that have been mentioned are a little more of an enthusiasts car - better feedback, crisper handling, etc. Even the CLK to me feels a little sloppy in braking, handling, etc...

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter

I've driven the CLK, although it was only the 5.0L one, and I have to agree that it is not a true drivers car. Although the AMG version does have some serious punch to it, it doesn't sound like something you'd get excited over. Although, the car is gorgeous I have to agree. If I were to get a MB, I'd take a serious look at the CLS500 or even the CLS55 AMG. Definatly a unique car IMHO and one of the best built Mercedes (or so it appears) in quite some time. I haven't heard one negative review of the car so far, and seems to be a real winner.

Walter

25. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Don't you have the Audi RS4 ?

It pulls quite hard....