Best V8 ever for now and on. The Pista | FerrariChat

Best V8 ever for now and on. The Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by j09333, Oct 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    English is not my language so I wish I could write better.

For me, sports car bench mark is GT3.

Even RS feels less sporty than GT3 mainly because the aero and grip level overwhelm the engine.

GT3 has more engine than needed and thus makes things interesting sideways all over the place.

Once you get what it takes to control, then GT3 is just the best toy not some tricky unbalanced danger machine.

Now comes Pista and finally I can say it is better than GT3 or better than any V8 Fcar in the past. 360 430 458 and 488.

Here is why I think.

Main thing is the torque build up to the max rev.

458 lacks the top end torque. Sound builds up but car not pushing over 8000 to 9000.

It is just mismatch between what you hear and what you feel.

488 was better in terms of torque build up but it shut you cold and hard when hitting around 7500.

488 lacks the rpm. We begged for software update or some that it could make it rev to 7900.

488 feels unfinished because of this.

But Pista lets you go all the way up to 7900 or 8000. Niddle touches and stay there.

Torque is enormous and very intuitive. It feels like NA but better all the way.

Handling is improved. Just Ferrari magic.

They found the sweet spot of balance between front and rear. Front firm rear soft. It lets you play or cruise any surface. Marvelous!

Sound is lacking compared to 458 or GT3 but it is top when it comes to turbo V8. I am not complaining at all.

Side ways better than any because of torque.

Top end torque is important when doing sideways.

Pedal to metal and sudden loss of top end torque means sudden recover of grip and results in snap oversteer.

Not for Pista. Not for GT3 either. But I had some moments in 458 and Portofino.

Design is subjective but I am happy with the look.

These sums up. Chris Harris was right and nailed it.

When everyone including myself complaining the end of NA and disappointed somewhat with 488, Ferrari gave us this masterpiece.

Before GPF and other electronic safety devices, Pista will be a uniq machine for the time comes.

It is simply the best V8 F ever.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Best Turbo V8 maybe...F8 and Pista. Best NA V8 is the Speciale. Which will be more valuable in 5 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xfrgtr and IloveGT like this.
  3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I don't know and I don't care. Speciale wins I guess but it doesn't matter.

How it drives matters to me and 458 and Speciale wasn't satisfying to me but Pista is.

Katonk, LVP488, junc and 2 others like this.
  4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Sheesh, value comment just one post in without the op even mentioning it.

Katonk, Bhh, Surfah and 10 others like this.
  5. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    First time I have heard that driving a Speciale is not satisfying enough...this is at odds with many professional drivers and credible magazine articles. Maybe you are referring to the required uptick in performance between the models then I would assume you are a very advanced driver with mass track experience. Good for you as I know the F8/Pista are faster and have more downforce which they should as they are current models.

6. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Ok...different views I guess. Pros know better than me and I am not implying I know better than pros.
    I am just expressing what Pista feels to me and how it serves my need.
    Maybe I made too bold title lol

Good day :)

Lukeylikey and Katonk like this.
  7. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    You assume I mean value in regards to dollars, I actually mean value in regards to enjoyment, pride of ownership etc. I don’t buy Ferraris to make money and to be honest I don’t worry if it goes down in value...

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What will be valuable in 5 years? 400k invested in the S&P.

Now back to OPs post- great review! Super excited to hear your thoughts and comments after driving the car. I too think the GT3 is a great machine but the Pista is just next level. Congrats on a beauty!

9. will89

will89 Karting

Dec 29, 2013
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Will
    I completely agree with the review. I had somewhat lower expectations from the Pista based on endless negative reviews comparing it to the Speciale.
    250kms into ownership, I could not have been more wrong on my initial concerns. I cannot stop driving it and it is definitely a long term keeper in the stable.

Besides, you know you are driving something special when you can keep appearances driving around with a Chiron :);)

10. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    Great review. Some really insightful observations - appreciate you taking the time. I haven't driven a speciale for a while - but I suspect you're right. Like so many other NA cars, turbos (which sound worse) have made them feel like their lacking power and torque. It's amazing how this has readjusted my sense of speed.

I note you've got the spider. From speaking to others, none of us got the initial build photo - i.e. we got the final 2, but did not get the fairly generic chassis one with undercoat. Did you get one?

Caeruleus11, FordGTDriver and j09333 like this.
  11. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    I can't wait to get mine in about 8 weeks!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Me neither.
    My dealer sends pics to me. Only got final one. Myferrari is not working with my account..strange.

14. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I love driving my Pista and 458. I don’t have a Speciale. But, wow, we live in a great Ferrari time right now for this kind of performance and quality coming from them. Given that I was driving a 1963 Thunderbird right after college that would have a semi-frequent coolant fire, a glovebox that would open up and spill everything when making a left turn, and only 3 working door locks and 2 engine rebuilds in 3 years, I count myself fortunate to drive the F cars. And have the enjoyment of talking with all of you about them! Ok, I am in a good mood :)

Caeruleus11 and j09333 like this.
  15. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    The coupe seem to be coming through ok, not sure why the spider isn't. It's frustrating as I have a wall with all my build pics on it and it looks odd if one is missing. Fingers crossed I can get one.

jo9333 try this link for my ferrari
    https://login.ferrari.com/account/login?returnUrl=%2Fconnect%2Fauthorize%2Fcallback%3Fclient_id%3Dmcs_client%26redirect_uri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fmy-new.ferrari.com%252Fen_EN%252Fidpauth%26response_type%3Dcode%26scope%3Dopenid%26state%3D3BE8A27E-B7DE-D4DB-C5D9-476AEF922B3C%26nonce%3D9E33FE2C-70EC-0ABB-2024-1E0AD397080A

j09333 likes this.
  16. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    bizzare post, professional drivers opinions and critics should be irrelevant to your own satisfaction or enjoyment of a car

17. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    j09333,

Great post! I realise that English is not your first language, but you did a remarkably good job of describing your experience, and I found it very informative and thought provoking. Like you, I also love the feeling of swelling power that comes with a turbo car. I loved my Speciale, but actually preferred my 488. I thus anticipate that the Pista will blow my socks off. Thanks for making me even more impatient. :)

Regarding production pics, I have so far received two photos; the generic white and the body colour on the cradle. I was told my car was 70 last week, so I am waiting for the money shot now

Caeruleus11, Thecadster and j09333 like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    250 kms and he states " I cannot stop driving it "

19. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    They are just data points, why is that bizarre? I think data is important but of course your opinion about your experience is most important.

20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    For English not being your language, you did d*** good. Bravo. Very well said and a thoroughly enjoyable read.

j09333 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent write up, thank you!

I have about 460 miles on my Pista now and I cannot stop driving it either. It is a fabulous car!

Just a small point about reviews: I remember the first Speciale reviews, they almost all said the Speciale wasn't that much better than an Italia. These reviews are out there so you can go watch the videos or read the articles. Looking back now, what does everyone think? Most think the Speciale is better than an Italia. Some of the early Pista reviews were similar to state its really not much over a 488 GTB. I predict we will look back and find an even bigger difference from the standard car. The Pista is really that amazing. Bravo for the great writeup and bravo to Ferrari!

j09333 likes this.
  22. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

. The Pista and it won’t even be close. Inferior technology and 150 less horse won’t be worth more.

SoCal to az likes this.
  23. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    but also worth mentioning that here a standard 458 and a standard 488 as the same price pretty much on the used market, people just aren't that keen on the 488 in the uk for whatever reason