Best value in vintage Ferrari's today? | FerrariChat

Best value in vintage Ferrari's today?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Chicane, Jan 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    What, in your opinion, is the best value in vintage Ferrari's now and in the future? Specifically, what cars do you expect to appreciate over time, and what cars are hot now but do you believe will go flat over time.

Thanks.

2. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    I think the Daytona Berlinettas in the $200-300K range are comparative values against 330's, Dinos, 275s, etc. Buy what you love, but invest in icons.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Most vintage Ferraris are a great value in comparison to Hemi Cudas but if you are buying one as an investment, don't - you will likely do much better in the stock market.

Regards,

Art S.

4. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I think the 246 Dino's are really high, the 365 Daytonas are fair and flat. Look at the really old V-12's with low production #'s, even if they're a bit ugly and take a while to sell.

My vote is for the 195, 212, 250 GTE...

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I probably shouldn't say this, but my guess is 330 GTS. I want one.

Dale

6. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Best values are probably the C/4 and Daytona. As an investment, though, it will be those rare cars with race history, looks, etc. There is a reason why a smart individual paid "over the top" money of the pick of the litter TdF. The best will always be worth it. For "road cars", I would put my money on Spyder Californias. It's probably a toss up between an alloy body CA Spyder and NART Spyder for desirability.

In general, any open V12 vintage Ferrari should be good property. To put this into perspective, without acutally adding them up, Ferrari built approximately 1000 open cars up until they made the 348 Spider. Ferrari made over six times that in 360 Spiders alone.

Supply and demand will be at work here.

Steve

7. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    Definitely NOT looking for an investment, but at the same time I want to gauge the market and see where it is going as I will spend the next year looking at Ferraris.

What about cars that are not all “original”? Spyder conversions, not original color, bodywork, even if it is well done doesn’t this diminish the value of the car?

8. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    In my humble experience I believe strongly in two principles. One is that cars are not investments and should be simply looked like you would a vacation. If you love it and drive it and enjoy it and you don't lose your ass you will be lucky. Principle number two is always buy the best, the one with no questions, no problems, nothing weird. Buy the best car you can afford. Spend as much money as it takes. You will always be ahead of the pack and if things go badly you will always be able to get out earlier than the people who bought the deal with an off engine or an eccentric configuration.

9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    not vintage, but 288 gto's, are going to soar... and soon imo.
    Daytona Coupes will also continue to rise IMHO.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    +1

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

In the next couple of years anybody that had a chance to buy a nice 330gt for 60k is going to be kicking themselves.

12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I think they already are! It seems like 2 headlamp 330 GT 2+2s that are really nice (needs nothing, but not concours) are going for $75,000 or more right now (if you can actually find one). Same for 250 GTEs and the 330 America variant.

13. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Dont you have one already :)

14. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    OK, but what are the REAL prices for a 330GTC or a GTS (obviously more for the spider) in excellent, but not concours condition?

15. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    330 GTCs were more valuable than Daytonas a couple of years ago. GTCs have THE classic look and will probably catch Daytona value again.
    I also vote for Boxers. Good ones are all over $100K now in Europe and they're a fantastic value today compared to older Ferraris. Boxers are also easier to keep since they are pretty much rust-free.

16. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I think the best value in Vintage Ferraris is really rare cars like Testa Rossas or GTO's or cars of that ilk. They are unique, desired universally and there will always be buyers for them at any price

17. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    I suspect 410SA may be right, but I also think the thrust of this thread was regarding vintage cars a little bit south of $10 million.

18. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    "Chicane" you might want to re-phrase the question by range!

Best Value under $100k
    -

Best Value between $100k and $300k
    -

Best Value $300k to $900k
    -

Best Value over $1M
    -

19. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    A 410 is less than half that :p

Boxers and "modern" TRs do nothing for me, so......

20. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    Good point. I would be interested in best value under 100k personally.

21. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Forgive me for getting metaphysical here, but what is value? The denominator is dollars but only you can denominate the numerator. That "number" is it how it looks to you, or how you in it look to others, or how it is, all by your self, early in the morning at speed on a twisty road. This measures can get you answers from a Dino to a 308 to a GT4, it can also get you from a 250 PF Cab to a 275GTB ("they" won't know the difference between a short or long nose, alloy or steel, 3 or 6 carbs), to a 250 SWB. In between are dozens of cars, all in the long run are bad investments, but each can be wonderful to those who are holding them for their moment in time. Where it is not thought thorough, there is a most unhappy owner: the Daytona guy who tires of the effort of driving his new prize, or the 550 owner appalled by the cost of ownership. Where its right, it is fabulous as in the six 400I owners who brought their cars to Pebble - passion? They were more than a match for the checkbook guys on the lawn with multi million dollar cars restored by the greatest talent in the nation. So your Ferrari is not with us, its with you, smell them, climb under them, look at them from every angle, listen to them, most of all drive them, behind the wheel each are as individual as the children Enzo brought to life. One of them will captivate you, that is the one to pursue and borrow to enjoy for your time. The value of that car will be priceless.

22. luigibosco

luigibosco Karting

Jan 28, 2005
    Westchester County NY
    I don't know if this is what Chicane had in mind, but lets look at it very simply.

I've got $100K to spend. What can I get that will appreciate the most over 10 years? Actually, lets make it 150K. $100K doesn't buy squat nowadays...

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If by "best value" you mean the most car, and enjoyable driving experience, for your money, I'd go with a 365 2+2. They haven't had the appreciation that the other 2+2s have had, as far as I can tell, are fun to drive with all the vintage feel, and yet are still highly driveable cars.

I end up using mine as a daily driver for at least a few weeks out of the year, and it's very practical. Plus, they are excellent tourers, if you're into that.

However, if it's appreciation you're after, read what the other guys have said about cars not being investments. None of the 2+2s are going to be great investments, IMO, unless you are very lucky.

24. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    INVESTMENT.....If you buy the right Ferrari at the time, Ferrari's are a very good investment. Dont let any one tell you different. Do your homework. This applies to the whole range from 1948 to now. Some models have a "dont touch at any time" label, but try and look at what is becoming popular. The more you invest, generally the more you will make (or loose). Good Luck.

25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Modern car - 550 or 456

Older car - Boxer (but keep your checkbook handy)

Dale