Best way to get a 488 GTO Allocation? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Best way to get a 488 GTO Allocation?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by yumaverick, Aug 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 720S will probably take some share, but I really wonder what will happen with the GT2RS - in France it's priced at the level of the 812S (although there is probably less need to add options to the base price since the GT2RS has already a specific equipment).
    Initially the 812S will have some availability issue and there are anyway Porsche fans, but still I think the GT2RS pricing could make it a not so compelling proposition.

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    My understanding is the point system outlined above is a fairly new thing so would have no relevance to 599 GTO's and 16M's for example.

3. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Correct

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Point system? I have a nice bridge to sell anyone who is interested.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There are guys on this board who post frequently that wld be in the top 1 percent of all. Owners using those metrics and they've struggled to get normal LES (tdf), never mind the supercars (laF)

6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    The biggest screw up is the allocation differences between the US and Europe
    Quite a few buyers from Europe posted new Speciale's as their first Ferrari's
    That would never happen here in the US

7. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Like me :D :D

8. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    +1

9. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    and the children drunk lemonade.........life in a northern town!.......

she's got Betty Davis eyes!!

10. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I'm not sure why folks can't get there heads around the process of buying a new Ferrari, but as I learned quickly in my first purchase, demand for their cars almost always exceeds their production capacity, and that naturally leads to waiting lists. When I first inquired about a new 488 Spider I was told 20 to 24 month wait time. I created the order, paid the deposit, and then spent 12 months harassing my sales contact (which really had no affect, but he's a great guy). As we got closer, like others, I was making weekly changes until I was told no more changes were allowed. My 488 Spider is scheduled for build next month, and hopefully delivered Nov/Dec. In the end, it will likely be close to the 20 month's originally quoted.

What was interesting to me, is I personally know 2 owners (one from this forum) that ordered long after me and ended up with an allocation before me. My initial reaction in learning this was "what the f***" how is that possible?? Where is the fairness in that process?? BUT, when you look close at what is happening, it was easy to see that the dealership was taking care of a repeat buyer, one that had already had several new buys from the dealership. I put myself in the dealership's position and understood the logic, especially given the limited allocations the dealership receives. I know its still is unfair on some level, but it's reality when shopping for a new Ferrari. If you want the car, you do what most "new to Ferrari" buyers do, you pay the deposit and wait. For those that are not willing, there are other choices.

So...for now I continue to enjoy my used 458 Spider, the best exotic I've ever owned.

Jim

bberg009 and exoticcardreamer like this.
  11. tomorrow

tomorrow Rookie

Nov 8, 2017
    USA
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I'm trying to get a 488 GTO allocation too and I'm a bit lost. I've had more than one dealer tell me that it helps to constantly buy and sell cars, even to the point of ordering a new portofino and flipping it right away. I can see how this would help my standing with the dealer, but it doesn't seem to square with the "points system" mentioned here, nor with a logical reading of the factory's point of view. After all, buying and immediately selling a car does not add to demand or reduce supply. Are these dealers wrong or is their influence in allocating cars sufficient that this actually makes sense to do.

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    If the 488 VS is a limited edition (which I still doubt), allocation could be handled at Ferrari level (with the mysterious points system) ; on the other hand is it's only a special edition for which demand is likely to exceed supply, I believe what will be key is the relationship with a dealer.
    Time will tell, I am still crossing my fingers :)

tomorrow likes this.
  13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017

Allocations for cars other than the ultra limited models (ie. LaFerrari, Speciale Aperta, etc) are decided by the dealer alone. They will basically prioritize the people that have done the most business with them. In other words, they will reward the customers that made them the most money.

Buying and selling cars through your dealership is great for the dealer since they are making money off your car multiple times.

tomorrow likes this.
  14. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Interesting thread. Ordered a 488 VS

Challenge64 likes this.
  15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Congrats - Will this be your first new Ferrari or have you had subsequent purchases ?

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I got a 458 speciale for a friend of a friend. They arent too hard to get. Getting a v12 LE - those are hard to get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Unless you're dealing with my dealer. He ignored my repeated requests for a 458 Aperta
    BTW my buying history goes back 20 years and twelve Ferrari's :mad:

tomc likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Why bother? Screw it. Of all the ferraris ive owned the ones i enjoyed buying and owning the most are the ones i bought used

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Can't give up the habit I guess :D It's my crack cocaine

bberg009 likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Lol. Just say no

21. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    #71 Motorwerks, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2017
    I agree with this. And buying a ****ty floor model Cali or other leftovers for way over market value is as stupid as it sounds. The advent of competitors like McLaren, Lamborghini's Performate, Porsche's GT2RS, etc. will slowly tame Ferrari into just making their damn cars and making them available to buy. There are too many other options out there now and in the future.

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Sorry, impossible imo :D

23. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    The 488 replacement, "588" or whatever it'll be called will be more exciting and drivable (and attainable) than a 488GTO. Just get that...

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Most probably it will have better performance, but excitement is purely subjective so that different people will have different assessments.
    The 488 GTB has better performance than the 458 Speciale, and for different reasons I prefer the 488 GTB, but I completely understand many prefer the 458 Speciale.
    For me adding turbochargers has more benefits than drawbacks, but many do not think so; the next step (for the "mainstream" 488 replacement) will probably be adding some electric system, it will probably help the performance (specially for standing starts) and many will like it for that, while it might be the step too far for me...

bberg009 likes this.
  25. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    We just went to a Ferrari dealership weekend event with FCA last month, and was told to sign in on a Ferrari roaster so that we would get "credit" for attending. We also were asked to do the same at the annual Ferrari club national event in Daytona this year.

When asking what "credit" was, they Ferrari Italian representative cryptically said "it shows your activity with the brand" and it was "positive for future relationship".... I have never heard this before a couple of years back,, is this new, or does anyone know what this is?

bz458 and jumpinjohn like this.