best way to lose belly fat? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

best way to lose belly fat?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bocaf430, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I'm 38. Until 36, I was thin as a rail. Never cared what I ate, never really exercised (with the exception of officiating). Never gained an ounce.

Then one day I woke up with a belly. I knew it would happen eventually, and I wouldn't know what to do about it. And here I am.

Just went on a no-carb diet last week to get back to where I want to be, at which point I'll start to reintroduce carbs and cardio slowly. At least, that's the plan.

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I took drugs for 4 months, took off 28 lbs, and I've kept off 20 of those - that was three years ago. I also cut out all sodas, and listing to the advice of the nutritionist, "If its white - its bad".

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ninja Remix!

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I've lost and kept off 20lbs since last January. I lost most of it in the first 3 months of 2016 as it was a big change with my diet and exercise, but now I'm at a steady 162 lbs (5'10"). Feels good to be able to wear 30" waist pants again.

I had a run up of 5 lbs the end of 2016 from Halloween through Christmas given all the food, but I've lost it all in the last 3.5 weeks. I think this year I'm going to try to put on muscle now that I've lost the fat...

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It's 90% the diet. Eat less and ban all sugar, fat and increase protein.
    Working out helps and so does steam/sauna (helps with eliminating excess water, helps you drink more thus helps you digest and eliminate toxins etc..).

I noticed that unless i diet, my belly stays the same even if do crunches every day and run 12 miles a week + the usual lifting. But when i do diet (i basically will eat fish or chicken and veggies), i see the difference in my belly after a week.

6. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Abs are made in the kitchen.

Super simple. Eat less, avoid trash foods and mix some exercise into your routine. There's no magic, it takes hard work.

7. pbvinn

pbvinn Rookie

Apr 10, 2016
    High intensity interval training
    Fasted cardio

^^ Beyond those 2, it's all about diet. Ground turkey, brown rice, broccoli, sweat potatoes, those fun things

8. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This. Weight loss is 75% diet. Eat smart, exercise and be patient!

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I see you've adopted the Workout Like a Ninja program. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    There's 3500 calories in a pound of body fat. You should be eating about 1800 calories a day. Do the math to figure out how much you're consuming, how much you should cut back, and how long it will take at that rate to deplete those extra 3500 calories per pound.

Educate yourself on the calorie content of foods. Including the candy bars, chips, ice cream, and other snacks you enjoy. Instead of looking at a candy bar, you should be looking at a wad of 250 calories (which is equivalent to jogging for a half hour). Unless you eat out all the time (which is bad), you can only eat what's in your fridge and cabinet. So only keep healthy low fat food around, and never shop for food when you're hungry.

Fat won't be the first thing you burn when you get hungry, but eventually you will. If you're not hungry, you're not doing it right. The key is to accept and appreciate the hunger. Remind yourself it's keeping you sharp, on edge. Hunger means you're catabolic; breaking down the excess and burning it for fuel. Skipping a meal is easy if you keep yourself busy or distracted. You won't get hypoglycemic, the body tightly regulates blood sugar. That's why starving children in third world countries aren't constantly collapsing from "low blood sugar," and you won't either if you skip a meal.

11. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

yogurt for breakfast
    smoothie for lunch
    steak or chicken salad for dinner with 2 coors lights....worked for me

12. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Weight loss clinic that issues drugs helps you change your habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I note the many ideas that have come across this forum. What I see is that people will point to some weight-loss program, diet, dietary regimen, supplements, exercise or training. IMO, all of those ideas have good points and can be effective to certain degrees depending on the person's individual situation. Some of us have lifestyle, dietary or medical issues. Not all causes of our weight issues are the same and the causes can also be combinations of factors, some of which affect us at different times or points in our health programs.

Weight problems do not have a single cause however at the basic biological level there are definitely common basic mechanisms at play. Our problems can be broken down into layers whereupon the top layers are psychological or behavioural, the middle layers dietary, age-related metabolism, hormonal or medical pathology and the very basic layers are the basic biological processes that run our bodies.

The ideas and experiences expressed here tend to focus details on the top and middle layers, with fewer details on the basic layers. However, at the end of the day, it's how our bodies work that determines whether we put on the pounds. So you need to understand the most basic layer of our weight problems before we can make intelligent decisions about the upper layers.

From personal experience, the single most effective basic knowledge about weight control came from my early years of cycling with friends and mentors who were former racers or experienced cyclists. Have you ever wondered how professional cyclists, regardless of whether they were champions or "mere domestics" are able to race in long tours, almost daily up to 100-200 miles per day regardless of success over 2-3 weeks, doing that over and over again several times a season? I'm not talking about their performance, I'm just talking about the simple ability to just get across the finish line after doing something useful in the day's race. Most professional riders just go out and do a job, helping their team leader(s) in some way.

Professional cyclists have been doing this for many decades and there is a simple science behind competitive cycling and the training season always starts with a focus on one of the most basic level of human biology. Racers go out and trim their bodies of unwanted bulk left over from the off-season. If you examine the simple weight-trimming regimen used by professional cyclists, you will have far better understanding of why your favourite weight-loss method works or doesn't work. I am not saying you should adopt the entire training program of professional cyclists, I am suggesting people to understand the 1st phase of the cyclists' training program, the art where they discard unwanted weight, and also gain a good level of aerobic fitness.

At the most basic layer of our biology is a very simple mechanism that governs how food interacts with our bodies.

14. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    To cycle 200 miles a day for weeks, requiring long-term energy output that most even avid gym-goers are not going to come close to matching, it seems that the nutritional requirements of a professional competing in specific high energy endurance events is different to an amateur training for general fitness and aesthetics. It would not surprise me if the calorie requirements of a professional cyclist was thousands a day above an amateur working out 3-4 nights a week.

Could you be more specific about the knowledge you have gained on biology and which practices employed by professional cyclists that could be adopted by amateur fitness enthusiasts?

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I for one don't want a cyclists body. Lol

I wonder if the doping enhances weight loss.;) :D

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    This is the best advice. I always go back to this.

Been eating protein shakes since Jan, dropped 20# so far and my clothes fitting much better

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Your assessment is correct but you make the wrong assumption. Professional cyclists have a much bigger time-critical challenge than just our long term weight loss/management programs so their intensity and duration is much greater and shorter than what normal health-conscious persons would need to achieve over a MUCH LONGER PERIOD of effort.

The point of my using professional cyclists' weight loss approach is simply the SCIENTIFIC PRINCIPLES behind their methods and not that we can achieve the same rate or level of weight loss/management over the same short period of time. We're not training to win the Giro D'Italia.

Of course I could but it's also been my experience that the best advice given quickly and freely is usually spurned and lost on the audience. It's better to prod people to think for themselves.

The principles are actually very simple and can be fully expressed in one or at most two sentences. It's also foolproof. Some people make tonnes of money by using these simple principles to create stuff or programs to sell and most of them conveniently omit or conceal the really important information, which takes no time at all to explain or understand.

What I can say at this point is that weight control has to do with how your body perceives hunger and how it produces energy. Cycling, especially professional cycling where extreme endurance and strength are required, involves very precise control of how energy is produced by the cyclist.

18. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Understood.

Let me be very direct, but please don't take this as being disrespectful. The more you allude to the information without actually providing it, the more exasperated I'm getting. I haven't the patience to sit through a 1-hour infomercial before getting to the salient two sentences and you'll lose my attention unless you quickly get to the technical point. If it takes two sentences to explain it, please just type those two sentences. I'm likely to be able to keep up, I'm a trained scientist in a biological discipline so give me both barrels. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #94 4th_gear, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    +1 to 4th_gear - please just type the two sentences, or even three if it will help us!

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm really surprised these simple principles haven't been brought up. If you had a cycling coach it would have been basic knowledge. OK, to put you guys out of your misery, here are the first clues:
    Presuming that you know what glycogen is and where it comes from, "...our bodies prefer to first use glycogen as fuel, but if you are trying to trim down (your fat), you don't want to be burning glycogen when you are doing that."​
    So how do you avoid that?

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #97 4th_gear, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Pick me! Pick me!

<80% HR threshold. Coggan zone 3 tempo work on a bike. Fasted (not faster!!) rides.

24. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I feel good when I'm in the Red Ferrari and drive by the local peloton going the opposite direction. "Allaz Allaz"

25. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's so ****ing simple basic knowledge that you can't just ****ing say it. Clearly I've not had a cycling coach, so let's move on from that point, shall we?

Give me the ****ing answer, not more ****ing clues, insinuations, and leadings on. Zero patience for this ego-stroking game you're playing.

Give me the answer, and I'll go away and read about it. Otherwise, I'm done with this ****.