Best Way to Sell My F430 Spider? | FerrariChat

Best Way to Sell My F430 Spider?

Discussion in '360/430' started by psb1013, Sep 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    #1 psb1013, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Unfortunately, due to some unexpected recent financial problems, I'm forced to sell my 2006 F430 Spider. What is the best way to sell the car.....privately or on consignment (through my local dealer)? Obviously, I'll get more money by selling it privately, but are there certain benefits by selling it on consignment?

By the way, if any of you might be interested, I'm posting the car later in the classified section. But here are some of the specs:

-- 14K miles (but I've only owned the car for 4 months and driven less than 2K miles)
    -- Rosso corsa ext./beige int.; black top
    -- Original ball-polished 19" Challenge-style rims
    -- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires in excellent condition (less than 1 yr old)
    -- Custom carbon fiber/alcantara steering wheel w/Italian tricolor center stripe; and carbon paddle shifters
    -- New Pioneer DVD/CD pop-out screen stereo system w/Apple Car Play and Android Auto
    -- New AP ceramic-coated headers
    -- New Kline exhaust system
    -- Scud Swiss LED daytime running lights
    -- Scud Swiss F1 Smart Relay
    -- Clutch replaced in 2017
    -- Clear Bra
    -- All books and records

neil e dale likes this.
  2. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    sell it as a private party, better for you to lower the price from start instead of giving 10-15% (?) away and try to reach higher numbers. Just my 2 cents.

best of luck no matter what you decide

I'm 360 Canuck and whatheheck like this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry to hear. Sell it yourself to avoid mark ups by the middle person.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Consignment might be quicker, ie they already have a buyer in mind, plus easier (to me anyway) to deal with sales. contract and funds transfer, etc....

Nothing wrong with trying yourself, I just hate wasting my day for some tire kicker or low baller to come see the car.

5. zone1

zone1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2018
    SF Bay
    Could try selling it on Bring A Trailer. Ferraris seem to sell for slightly lower prices on that site, but it is a great way to cater to enthusiast buyers

killer58 likes this.
  6. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I've always consigned my cars as I don't want people a) coming to my house and b) driving my car. I found the guys at the Ferrari dealership pre-qualify everyone and very rarely let someone actually drive the car and then when they have an offer, they call you and you decide yes or no. If yes, they do all the paperwork and they send you a check... well worth the % you pay them in my opinion.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  7. gperson

gperson Karting

Jan 2, 2008
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Griffin
    Autotrader!
    About $90.00. Ad is good till sold!!
    Have sold many cars thru Autotrader.

8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Bringatrailer.com seems to be the online site to use. You can set a reserve. If you don't get your price, then use a dealer

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Isn’t BAT more geared towards bargain hunters? That’s always been my impression. If I was looking to move a car with spotty history, needs some work, etc at a discount for a quick sale, that’s where I’d go.
    But OPs car sounds better than that and should have an easier time selling itself. Problem is, winter is coming.
    I’d go auto trader, negotiate more if necessary until the spring.

10. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have several friends buying on BAT. You can post a 100 pics or videos of your car if you like. Then people can ask questions and anyone can respond. Just like this chatboard. Really hard to fool anyone

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    At the end of summer is a bad time to sell an F car.
    That represents a financial cost to folks who live in snowy areas since the car will be parked for 6 months at least.
    With that in mind, if I had to sell mine I would do it on consignment so that it is available for viewing during the winter months as well.

12. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Good advice. Also, the dealer will keep it nice and fresh in the showroom and keep everything in working condition. I think I will go this route.

13. zone1

zone1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2018
    SF Bay
    What does a dealership generally charge for selling a car on consignment? Is it around 10% of final sales price?

14. Ahmed_Z

Ahmed_Z Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2010
    Washington DC area
    Full Name:
    Ahmed
    I sold my F430 privately last year, actually to another Fchatter. I considered consignment with my local Ferrari dealer, but they wanted 9% plus the cost to actually run it through inspection (like $1,500). While I thought they may get a higher price than I could selling it myself, 9% was a bit high and I didn't think they would get enough to make it worth it to me.

You can try BaT, but I don't think you'll get what you desire on that site. It's also fall, not the best time to be selling a convertible. If you want to move it quick, drop the price $8-$10k (which is the range where my 2007 similarly spec'd coupe sold). Good luck.

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The one in my area charges 10% so 9-10 may be the norm.
    One problem you may not be aware of is there have been a few car jacking done on test drives.
    Last year a guy in my area got killed after a test drive. Has nothing to do location/crime.
    A nice car for sale would attract a criminal anywhere, hence the attractiveness of the consignment process.

16. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    I want to sell it but I'm not desperate. I'll put it on consignment but if I don't get the price I want until next spring, I'll just take it off consignment and drive it. At the very least, I don't have to worry about maintaining it myself over the winter.

17. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    still for sale ? carbon brakes ? thx neil