Best way to watch F1 today | FerrariChat

Best way to watch F1 today

Discussion in 'F1' started by jdfelter, Oct 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdfelter

jdfelter Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2004
    I have been following this for 50+ years, and recently the commentators are making it difficult to enjoy what racing is taking place.

On F1 TV Pro the commentary team is hard to take. Cliche filled speeches and way too much hype.

Buxton makes up new ways to pronounce words in English. He seems desperate to be a celebrity, witness his outfit today on the grid in Mexico.

Collins speaks a language I am not fa mil iar with, stress on syllables like I have never heard before and expressions / descriptions that are silly (sticky uppy bits). This is technical analysis?

Lawrence Barretto is a cartoon character.

The various drivers can be informative. Mostly back markers who add some color.

The women are a whole different group. Can anybody say that any of them are their first choice to go to for insight?

Imagine the accomplished drivers thoughts when they have to engage with this crew. The pay drivers and never have beens are just happy that somebody wants to talk to them.

The teams have PR people and speech coaches that can explain to the drivers, for many of whom English is not their first language, that every sentence does not have to contain "yeah". This would be a challenge, similar to having a Kardashian not use "like".

Drive to Survive is a different level of pain.

Does anybody have a solution to this problem other than watching races with the sound muted?

JJ likes this.
  2. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Muted. I have the sound on until the DRS is activated. Normally the leader is going to run away unless tire strategy/accident or rain. This season its been predictable with Max so fast. I might turn sound on after the race for a few min of feedback from driver or others. Thats the best way. What you are missing is fake hype about a race, even with 20 laps left is decided.

schumacherf2006 and jcurry like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If I could construct an F1 commentary superteam (within the realms of reality) it would consist of:

Main Commentary team:
    Martin Brundle majority of races, Button the races Martin can't make it (Martin does around 3/4 of races last couple of years, I suspect health issues), otherwise Marc Priestly (Ex Kimi mechanic).
    Karun Chandhok
    Jolyon Palmer

Rest/Analysis
    Natalie Pinkman on Friday team and pitlane report rest of the weekend (she's very easy to listen to)
    Craig Scarborough technical analysis
    Peter Windsor friday/saturday/sunday post event analysis (he already does this on youtube but still)

I'd forcibly volunteer Crofty, kravitz, herbert, Hill, lazenby and Buxton to be test pilots for Kim Jong Un's moon programme. Destination not neccessarily important, so long they're strapped to a bad-korea made rocket I'm happy.

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Bas no nico?

6. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    Buxton is meh, but occasionally they have Benjamin Edwards, plus Joylon Palmer is good.

I'll take the F1TV feed over the horrible Sky feed any day. Both have a Mercedes bias, but F1TV at least don't actively attack drivers they don't personally care for like the Sky feed does. Crofty and his screaming with Kravitz and his need to be the story, makes them impossible for me to listen to.

I miss the US feed on SPEED and later NBC. Varsha, Hobbs, Matchett and Windsor were fantastic.

7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Legends

TurboFreak650 and Kimi2007 like this.
  8. 250boano

250boano Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2022
    Europe
    Full Name:
    DD
    Anthony Davidson should also feature somewhere! I've never known him to be opinionated.
    Very mechanically astute and good at asking questions that spur interesting answers from the drivers

DF1 likes this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I agree. Hobbs Matchett Windsor. With the crappy yellow graphic on the left of screen. Tag Heuer timing I believe?

Kimi2007 likes this.
  10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't think he's interested in doing a reasonable amount of races every season. He's happy to do the occasional one it seems like.
    AD is pretty decent as well, agree.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What’s become of Matchett? He was very good.

absostone likes this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I swear Crofty is going to be responsible for my brain Aneurysm one day.

Jack-the-lad and Kimi2007 like this.
  13. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Agree on AD. I think some of you hate him, but I can live with PDR as well.

Bas likes this.
  14. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    Writing some books and enjoying retirement.

I know some people will say I'm nuts, but James Allen was a fine replacement for Walker. I thought he and Brundle made a good team.

ESPN was too lazy and cheap to get their own team together. They'd rather just pay Sky instead of paying the chump change it would've taken to keep the US F1 broadcasting crew, and that was a damn shame. Killed the voices of my Sunday childhood.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    As bad as Croft is, Kravitz is even worse.

Bas likes this.
  16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is a shame that we don' have a broadcast channel that simply has the sound of the race without any commentary whatsoever.

Challenge likes this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm ok with PDR really. Obviously both PDR and AD work for Mercedes but aren't overly bias which is quite impressive.

True, but Ted is only talking every now and then, not constantly like that fat head crofty and the jokes only he himself laughs at.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  18. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Martin Brundle on the main broadcast for races, no doubt. I don't hate Crofty as the other guy, they need just a talker alongside a techy/race driver guy. James Allen had a similar annoyance but fitting presence. Having 2 guys that actually know what they are talking about might actually hurt the race commentary. Finding a guy that has good chemistry with Martin is the important thing.

For quali and practices: Jenson Button, Nico Rosberg, Paul Di Resta are all great. Particularly Nico, he is extremely insightful with modern F1 cars.

top 3 driver post quali/race interviews: David Coulthard, Jenson Button, Martin Brundle. All good.

Skypad: Karun Chandhok and Anthony Davidson are both great.

Pre and post race commentary: Simon Lazenby is quite good at directing the conversation. Nico is A++ with his no BS and willingness to ask anyone and everyone difficult questions. Jenson and PdR are also very good. Naomi Schiff isn't too bad as a side role.

Rachel Brooks is fantastic in the Pen with the drivers.

--------------------------------------

Ted Kravitz can hit the bricks. Replace him with Karun would probably be fitting.

Damon Hill and Johnny Herbert can also take their snobby biased opinions elsewhere.

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Well, I guess I'm out. My TV supplier moved the F1 channels to the pay side of things.

So within 5 races, I went from commercial free F1 coverage to zip.

Crap.

20. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yep, and I had the pleasure of chatting with Varsha several years back at Road Atlanta on a random weekend. Nice bloke. Miss Hobbsie and Matchett, too. I'd be happy to have them back.

The only regular commentator I pay much attention to today is Brundle, who is very good during the broadcast, although not terribly effective during his attempts at grid walks. :oops: I cannot stand the pre-recorded "social commentary" pieces they've been forcefully inserting since 2020, hosted by Princess LuLu (surprise! :rolleyes: ).

That's why I have a FF button. And it's been used a LOT since 2020; never had to do that before due to content. I always don't watch kneelers (even for 2 seconds), although thankfully that fad seems to have passed. Truth be told, I'd like to have Walker and Hunt again, but time marches on.....

So Sky it is. At least you can't say they don't give you plenty of air time hours per weekend, but you have to decide which ones are filler.

absostone likes this.
  21. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    If you have an internet connection, you don't need TV, ever again. I cut the cord entirely 2 years ago and haven't missed TV.

22. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Best way to watch F1 today

Don’t. YouTube has 8 minute race recaps and you know everything consequential that happened in the race or qualifying. Saves you the other 2 hours plus of listening to a bunch of muppets jabber on. This is after more than 50 years of following the sport.

Llenroc likes this.
  23. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    ^^^^^^^this

24. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Totally.

Too sleepy. Natalie's better.

25. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    Crofty is too intense and needs to tone it down a lot. Kravitz seems to have got too comfortable with his own ego, and Johnny Herbert provides little to no value - which is perhaps why we thankfully see him as much as Danica. I like Natalie and Rachel - they both seem to interact well with the drivers. Naomi seems to be an after thought - perhaps it's me but I notice the Sky team (male and female) don't really listen to her or engage her in the same way they do with the rest of their team - and I tend to tune out when she talks.

I miss Murray Walker and James Hunt!