Best Wheels on a 360 Spider? | FerrariChat

Best Wheels on a 360 Spider?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Targaflorio0199, Oct 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Targaflorio0199

Targaflorio0199 Karting

Jun 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Targa
    So bit of a dilemma.

Bought a 2005 360 Spider which was sold with 430 wheels a few months ago.

At the time it didn't bother me, but now thinking maybe it should have the OEM 360 star wheels. 18" from memory (the 430 rims are 19"). At a club meet recently and heard the comment "The 360 with the 430 wheels". Bit annoying.

Any opinions on what rims suit the car best?

Don't want to go Stradale 360 wheels as they were on the Modena - not the spider.

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I have the Aluminum Modular wheels on my Spider. See attached. I like the look and they were one of the options that drew me to purchase this particular car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ihavearedferrari and EastMemphis like this.
  3. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    First things first. Clubs and club meets are usually full of high amounts of douchery.
    Second thing, If you are being swayed to not like or be happy with the car you purchased by others you could be a good fit. Just F'n with you man.
    I've seen plenty of 360's with the 430 rims and I think they look great. My favorites are the 360 modulars like posted by ShadowLAP. Of course you might get the comments about the dated exposed bolts thing and that takes us back to 1 & 2.
    Enjoy your car, I'm sure it looks great.
    Cheers!

Michael B and ShadowLAP like this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 19" wheels give you a much better choice of tires and to me are better looking than either stock wheel. 18" BBS Challenge wheels are another alternative, are wider than stock by 1/2" F & R and were designed for 360s.

5. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    chipbiii and Apollo 11 like this.
  6. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I personally love the 430 rims on a Modena but prefer the starfish style on the Spider (and that’s what I have).

I was so close to buying 430 rims but the more and more pics I saw of them on Spiders I decided against it.

killer58 likes this.
  7. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  8. Targaflorio0199

Targaflorio0199 Karting

Jun 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Targa
    ml65, Oengus, Tarek307 and 3 others like this.
  9. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    If you are happy that’s the main thing :) I do reckon they look very nice with that black!

I get all sorts of ‘advice’ at meets haha

Targaflorio0199 likes this.
  10. Targaflorio0199

Targaflorio0199 Karting

Jun 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Targa
    Totally! My main concern tbh was keeping the car OEM 360, But at the end of the day - my car, my rules lol

Having said that, I'm adding a Yellow Challenge Stradale dial soon so......

11. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I do have that yellow dial - looks very nice. I was lucky it was already there when I bought the car.

If you decide to go starfish wheels later, there are usually sets always available for decent prices. Let us know how you go with the dial!

12. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Mine came with modulars and I changed to starfish... I like modulars too but starfish are a little lighter, I think match the look perfectly and are the easiest wheels I've ever owned to clean.

13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I briefly thought about changing the wheels on my Spider.
    I like most of the standard alternatives, particularly the modulars.
    But at the end of the day, I really like the Starfish rims, so I’ve kept them.

14. 9650max

9650max Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2011
    Starfish all the way. They look perfect and classic. Modular look dated.

15. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Love the 360 with both the Starfish and Challenge wheels! (especially in grey!)

I have a full set of the Starfish wheels I'm going to be putting up for sale shortly, if anyone has interest. One does have some curb rash, but the others are excellent! Let me know.

Kevin

16. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It's your car - do what the hell you want . But I recommend keeping the OEM wheels for resale time - F car buyers are very fussy on those things

one4torque likes this.
  17. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I've always thought that the 430 rims look better on a 360 than the 430. If ever I come across a reasonably priced set I will make the switch

18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    these are the way to go...way nicer than challenge wheels in my opinion. they look great on the 360

Targaflorio0199 likes this.
  19. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Your wheels look fantastic! they fit the car perfectly, don't change them!

hessank and Targaflorio0199 like this.
  20. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    I'm a big fan of my 19" HRE's, but I do really like the OEM starfish. I'm looking for a manufacturer to make me a set of 19" starfish replicas so that they fit the wheel well and match the offset of my HRE's. They sit flush with the fenders which I prefer to OEM offset. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MalcQV and brookliner7 like this.
  21. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Agreed...don’t care for modular.

only thing about starfish is, they look too small to me, which dates it as well. 19” starfish would be perfect. Until then 430 rims are the best all around, and a reasonable value.

FWIW, when I put CS wheels on my car, my wife thought I had things backwards...she thought the starfish was the upgrade lol
    I’m still not completely in love with the cs wheels...prob put them on the market next year. Bought them based on others opinions...wink, wink.

22. jo.e

jo.e Karting

Jan 6, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jochen
    I think the OZ Ultraleggera HLT are a good solution in 8,5x19 ET27 and 11x19 ET35 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 in 235/35 and 285/35. Lighter than stock, lighter than 430 wheels and enough place to put a ceramic brake on the 360 if you want.

UrbanHero, tifosi101 and hessank like this.
  23. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    As so many have said, your car....your rules. I'm not a fan of the 430 wheels on a 360 but not because you shouldn't put 430 stuff on it...just don't like the design that much. Modulars are nice but they are heavy and look dated on this car, even when they were new. On a GT, okay but not on a Modena. I like the starfish rims if you are trying to keep it stock. Going up to 19's opens up another world. CS wheels on a spider, yea those will work and I believe they were optional on the car anyway. I'm torn between the CS wheels and the 430CH centerlocks as far as what I like better. But if you work on your car, centerlocks present their own challenges....wink wink...

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Do what pleases you, but I like the OEM starfish wheels. The modular OEMs and almost any 19” wheel, 430 OEMs included, are heavier, which negatively affects vehicle dynamics. The 360 doesn’t have a lot of low end torque, so having to spin up heavier wheels makes a significant difference.

The only problem is getting modern rubber in the right sizes, but people in other threads have figured out the right sizes in MP4S, which are the current “best” setup. Be careful with going too wide or with too much offset. The fender wells look ample, but really are not. If you push the wheels out to fill the wells, you will have fender interference problems. Often that can be solved by rolling the fender lips, but sometimes that isn’t enough. If you like to drive your car hard, as it’s meant to be, don’t compromise vehicle dynamics for looks.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

25. ml65

ml65 Karting

Jun 22, 2009
    Farmingdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Mike L.
    Having owned a 430 and currently a 360 manual, I love the 19s of the 430 on the 360, better stance proportion etc,
    Where are picking up that Yellow tach from, I was thinking of doing the same thing.