best year for 550? | FerrariChat

best year for 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by kephren, Jun 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kephren

kephren Karting

Jun 27, 2004
    the front range
    hi all,

after searching the forum and google, one question remains: is there a particular vintage 550 that has some desirable feature that makes it a better choice than another year 550? perhaps something unglamourous like an updated fuel system or electronics or some such? or perhaps they're all the same?

thanks
    k

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    there were a few TSBs and other "known issues" that never worked their way up to "recall" status. as a result, as with ANY model of ANY car if you can buy one closest to the end of production you'll statistically be in the best shape.

two issues of note - maybe others can mention some more.

(1) the early motor mount design was nothing short of silly. i think they let one of luca's secretaries design it instead of hiring a mechanical engineer. there is a TSB on the motor mounts, but no recall. also, i don't think it was identified and replaced with an updated part until the 575M was in production - so i think ALL 550s might have the "original" design from the factory. many 550s have had them fixed, sadly.

(2) i'm trying to get to the bottom of the spinning actuators issue, including *****ing out FNA. the upper shock mount was replaced at some point, and this supposedly (supposedly) addresses this issue. i'm not convinced yet, but i'm waiting for more data. the parts manual shows different assemblies, but does not include detail about when the changeover occurred.

there may be more little items like this, though i'm not aware of them.

doody.

3. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I am very interested in a changeover, if you discover one...My '01 has a 126xxx VIN, and I have found 5 575M's with VIN's LOWER than my car! They were protos/show cars, mine was built in late Oct 01, delivered in 12/01. I have noticed a few things different from the old '00 550.

LMK
    Lee