Better brakes for the Countach | FerrariChat

Better brakes for the Countach

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Chadbourn Bolles, May 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    I have been asked by several Countach owners to come up with a brake kit. Therefore, using the Wilwood parts, for around $2300.00 you can get parts from Wilwood and with a few small mods, everything would be a BOLT on, no adapters.
    If you want to use your original rotors, the price would be around $1100.00 for a bolt on system. The system is matched to your original brake master cylinder, and brake bias stays the same.
    I can provide to anyone that wants them, the Wilwood part numbers and you can contact Wilwood and get them.
    Just using the calipers alone you would loose around 40 lb off of the car and have a much better brake system, and it is a bolt on, no adapters to mess with. Then if you want to use the Wilwood rotors you would loose around 80 lb off of the car.

See the pic, the one showing the stock ATE, caliper and rotor, then the one showing the Wilwood set up.
    There is about a 25 lb difference between each front wheel using the Wilwood setup, for a total +/- of 80 lb for the whole car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Peter K. likes this.
  2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    When I owned my LP400 I became aware very quickly that the brakes are not up to its speed. When the car was later (in 2000) in the UK with Steve Hart for an engine overhaul, it received racing brake pads. From that day on the brake efficiency became 60% better than before.
    I am sure you can get better brake pads today for a far better result than 18 years ago.

3. Interesting. Spill the beans and share the part numbers!

4. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Oh thank god we're addressing this finally! We all have been talking about this since the old Ltalk and Lpower days.

Put me down for calipers and rotors part numbers. Been on my mind for YEARS.

5. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Chad, you are not mentioning the pads. In the past we heard EBC had good pads like redstuff or yellowstuff, dont quite recall. What pads are you using?
    i can see a way for people to get better brakes and restore/save the originals.
    Also are all the caliper/rotors the same across all CT models? I dont quite remember from the top of my head.

6. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    EBC Redstuff are a direct fit for the original calipers and a huge improvement.

7. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    I have been running the Redstuff for years now on the Countach. I do not know if others running them have the same problem but they seem to need a lot of heat to stop really good.
    Before this thread I was going back to a regular semi-met pad, like I did with my Urraco. That car's braking improved quite a bit when I tossed out the Reds that were in there.
    I used to race bikes in the 90's and only used EBC pads and they were the best for high speed stuff.

8. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I am planning on doing this.. working on a few more questions and then can move forward. Planning on using the pads that Wilwood recommends for the calipers

9. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    how is wheel clearance with rotors and calipers?

10. Chadbourn Bolles

Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    how is wheel clearance with rotors and calipers?

Not a problem.

11. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Aren't the original fronts just the ATE 4 piston calipers utilized by BMW on some of their sedans in the mid 1970s to early 1980s?
    Yeah those are pretty heavy, all cast iron. But cheap to repair once you know that! :) Used on Urracos as well right?

I'm sort of surprised that Wilwood has a direct bolt on caliper?

Bob S.

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Try switching to the yellowstuff. I've heard good things and I'm about to put them on one of my cars soon. EBC pads now come with a scrub in coating to clean up your rotors while bedding the pads. I hope it works!

13. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Yellow stuff need heat to work appropriately, red stuff is much better for road use.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Everything I've heard and read is just the opposite of that. I used to have greenstuff on this car which was OK at the track but I got a lot of build up on the rotors.

15. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Yes..the originals are just off the bmw 7's from the day.. but if they are due for a rebuild then why bother rebuilding junk.. one common complaint for decades now has been this cars brakes... as in, lack of.

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Originality?

Those calipers are heavy but just fine on other cars (my interest) but not up to snuff for a car this powerful and fast if you're going to really drive it. And yet ... Valentino managed somehow ... lol :D

17. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    VB knows better than to criticize a countach

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Certainly his bank account does ... :p

19. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    and i due like and appreciate originality, but my car happens to be a driving, used car which already has modifications (bigger aluminum radiators, electronic ignition, kevlar clutch etc) if it were all original then i would certainly just rebuild the current calipers.

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh I understand. I'm not an originality zealot except for really obvious visual stuff, Pantera style ...
    I presume that Chad's solution includes greater pad area and perhaps increased clamp load? So this is is a F&R solution i.e. 4 calipers total?
    That might be rougher duty on original rotors? I p[resume thoise rotors are now very expensive? So maybe the rotor upgrade is the cheaper solution if you drive hard and drive a lot?

21. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Nice upgrade!
    I did the Brembo upgrade on my '91 Diablo (front and rear) and its nice to have the braking confidence to match the car's acceleration and speed.

22. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #22 Peter K., May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Originality.......less important when it comes to bolt, then bolt off, safety mods. Unimportant unless you are about to sell it or Pebble Beach it :) Then you can bolt the original stuff back on.

23. Chadbourn Bolles

Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    Aren't the original fronts just the ATE 4 piston calipers utilized by BMW on some of their sedans in the mid 1970s to early 1980s?
    Yeah those are pretty heavy, all cast iron. But cheap to repair once you know that! :) Used on Urracos as well right?

I'm sort of surprised that Wilwood has a direct bolt on caliper?

Bob S.

Actually Bob, they don't just bolt on like that. The mounting hole is too small for the Lamborghini mount bolt, something like 11.5 mm where the Lamborghini is 12 mm. No big deal, easy to enlarge that hole. Next the brake line hook up is in US spec, so you have to adapt that, again not a big deal.

24. 87-Countach

87-Countach Karting

Oct 12, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I think there are a few of us who would appreciate the information regarding the Wilwood calipers and rotors. Myself included.

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I beleive his offer is to sell them to you at the above pricing which frankly seems quite reasonable and if I'm wrong about that then I'm sure Chad will clarify this shortly.