Better F1 Transmission Oil Recommendation | FerrariChat

Better F1 Transmission Oil Recommendation

Discussion in '360/430' started by echo220, May 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. echo220

echo220 Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Looking for recommendations for a better substitute for the factory F1 transmission Oil. I'm after something that's more geared towards racing. An oil that could even perhaps lower the operating temp of the F1 and E-diff.

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    For racing maybe check on what the challenge cars use.
    The F-1 system and gearbox use different fluids.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    MG- The F1 system and E-Diff both share a fluid supply.

The Donax TX Ferrari recommends is a Dexron III automatic transmission fluid. Have never heard of racing automatic transmission fluid, but other recommendations for F1 systems have been Tutela CS Speed (Ferrari recommended on earlier Ferrari F1 and power steering systems) and one pro recommends Pentosin CHF11S, a very expensive power steering fluid.

Looking further down the road, Dexron III ATFs are being replaced by Dexron VI ATFs if you are brave enough to try one. Have not studied the specs on the Dexron VI enough to offer advice. Valvoline makes a good Dexron VI ATF.

What do they use in the Challenge cars or is it the same?

First thing I would try is one of the heat sump covers Ricambi sells for the F1 pump. No risk in that one.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #4 MalibuGuy, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
    Thanks Taz. I was thinking 360 modena. (I don't think my 360 has E-Diff.)
    In the 360, I changed from Dexron 3 to 4. It is backwards compatible meaning you can run Dexron 4 in Dexron 4 applications. Theoretically, 4 is better than 3.

I don't know what to think about the heat sink covers for the F-1 pump. One of the problems which causes failure is that particles of metallic dust deposit on the electricl coils and cause an electrical short. One of the F Chatters even made a video which showed that after the coils were cleaned the pump worked again.

So in this instance, the heat sink covers may not have been helpful.

5. echo220

echo220 Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Any idea if any of these would be a good substitute:

Torco RTF Racing Transmission Fluid
    Torco ATF
    TCI ATF
    Redline Racing ATF

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sorry, not me. Maybe one of the pros can chime in, but F1 fluids are kind of scary, which is why I do not hesitate to spen $20-25$ on Tutela CS Speed.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have used the Redline D6 but can't comment on the others. Remember, most racing ATF is modified to increase shear resistance. That isn't a problem in the F1. You are looking for a more consistent viscosity across temperature.