Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by garybobileff, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you for posting: incoherent parking lot, Bob Tallgren would be furious.

Cars used to be positioned artfully with of course the older ones near the hotel now it is a complete shambles with new "products"getting priority.
    And to those saying the event is a success...after 30 years of course there is existing good will and it has a nice turnout but the track event was a complete disaster with not even ten percent of the car count of the best years of the classic at Moroso where 100+ Ferraris were sharing tracktime. The fact that no enthusiasts were allowed is just a failure despite all the excuses; only corporate greed matters now.

Wonder if the name Cavallino Classic will be replaced by Cavallino lifestyle...

GatorFL, Texas Forever and HotShoe like this.
  3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    So much better now! Fantastic looking automobile.

tritone and Luca Fornetti like this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Challenge, SCFerrari, tritone and 5 others like this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    do original colors matter on these older cars? the 410SA seem to always change colors w a new restoration.

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Very much so.

Marcel Massini

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #583 TTR, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    I’d say, like any other “possessions” in life, it depends on the preference of their current owners.
    Anyone not liking a current color (or any other detail/feature) of any specific car, new or old, can always changed it to their preference after they become its owner.

Well, kind of like if someone acquires an previously existing event, let’s say exotic car related, they can change its agenda or image to whatever they prefer it to be or represent.
    Some, especially those accustomed or used to the “old” event, may not like these changes, but…

tritone and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #586 TTR, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    BTW, instead of merely anecdotal, second-hand references to the attendance at this latest Cavallino, does anyone have drone videos or photos from higher elevation, like a balcony or roof terrace at The Breakers taken at a given/same time(s) during yesterday’s and some previous years shows, i.e. illustrating apples-to-apples comparison of density of cars & crowds ?
    Just curious.

11. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks Chas, for additional field photos.
    So far, they, along with those by others have allowed me to count 5 Daytonas, 3 Bs, 2 Ss.

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I’m sorry but I find your sudden support of Cavallino here out of character for you.

I don’t ever remember you cheerleading this hard when John was in charge. Why the change of heart?

Rifledriver, Lusso123, JAM1 and 3 others like this.
  15. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    No. That is the JDM 'stanced' Daytona.

Doug., Il Tifoso, Daytonafan and 6 others like this.
  16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    please explain further.

Gman likes this.
  17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    was john barnes seen at the event?

18. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    It was a bad joke. Sorry lol

I assume it’s an illusion or angle, “bending” the light/wheel like it’s shown

Il Tifoso and tritone like this.
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Regarding John Barnes, it is worth noting, while some may take issue with certain decisions John made over the 30 years he owned the Cavallino Classic, let’s not forget that he created it, grew it, fostered it and made that event the most significant Ferrari Concours d’Elegance in the world. I have great admiration for what he and his wife accomplished.

20. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

it is...i saw him drive in and it was fine

21. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

sounds about right.

22. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Well said!

I have known John and Alicia since 1997. I have been to every single Classic from that year onward and I even worked with John at the magazine for a brief period.

The Barnes are some of the most generous and gracious people I’ve ever known. They truly loved the marque and it’s fans as evidenced by their tireless efforts. Although I am a “nobody” they always went out of their way to help me with zero expectations of anything in return. In a way I owe my success to them.

Unfortunately for whatever reasons, John and Cavallino never got much love here. I suppose when you run such an event long enough you ruffle some feathers along the way. Imagine trying to appease so many people who aren’t accustomed by nature to hearing the word “no”. Not an easy task!

I suppose yesterday’s event and the new ownership has awakened some old rivalries in a way. It’s not hard to read into that undercurrent here and see who’s cheering for who.

I was at my usual annual Classic party Thursday that has become a tradition among many guests. Perhaps I can best some up the current situation by saying most are “optimistically concerned”. That was the consensus.

It isn’t about serving crow or one side getting revenge over the other. It is simply about a group of true enthusiasts not wanting to see the Nations best long standing Ferrari concours die or mutate into something else. After all, many have spent over thirty years of their life supporting this dream.

As such, I’m sure I can speak for almost all when I say we only want to see the Classic continue for many decades more. Hopefully this year was just a minor stumble in a long and successful future. More importantly, may the new owners come to understand what makes the Classic unique and may they continue on the right path.

Regardless of any future outcome I’ll be proud to tell my kids stories of Classics past and smile when I start each tale with “I was there when…”

Forza.

SCantera, GatorFL, sherpa23 and 15 others like this.
  23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    14029, 14135, 14999, 15299, 16545.

Marcel Massini

Oengus likes this.
  24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe