Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by garybobileff, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Haha that blooper betrays my interest in F road cars stopping at the 365GTC/4 and the Boxer;). The current origami specials are not my thing, though the 296 seems headed in a better direction.

Oh Italy invented charm:)!

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes, CF my post #800 I had confused him and Ivana with jean de la Moussaye and Roxane Pulitzer, that post:

I found this in a local Italian paper about his 2005 demise...in a Renault...he deserved a better last ride...

https://ricerca.gelocal.it/iltirreno/archivio/iltirreno/2005/12/24/LG1PO_LG101.html

3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    The Good:

Attempting to reinvigorate the Rally. They did the best they could given our roads.

Their rebranding and effort to have a consistent design theme. Nice touch.

The “Mille Miglia” style awards given on the concours afternoon. It wasn’t in the best spot but the idea is good.

The front lawn was pretty good. No where near as great as past years but it was adequate considering.

The Bad:

Turning the track day (60 miles away) into some elite country club event open only to those who paid thousands of dollars.

The ridiculous pricing.

The growing proliferation and focus of modern cars and the terrible way they were arranged.

Organization. No one seems to know what the we’re doing and the morning ran terribly.

The Ugly:

The way they treated the judges and the usual crowd of young spectators who used to hang out in the parking lot.

Their ignorant focus on so and so’s second cousin removed from Enzo’s nephew and believing it’s some how important to the event.

The quality of the dinner for the money.

The idea that it should be a lifestyle event only catering to those “In the circle”.

Their multi pronged PR attempts to make it seem like it was the best event in years.

(yet proven but I’ll take a bet) moving the event to Miami to fit their lifestyle ideals and better incorporate an auction with their new partner RM. ;)

Buchpilot, dodici, GatorFL and 8 others like this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Especially with Omicron and travel restrictions you wouldn't list participation as good?

It also appears most people that attended said they had a good time, that is the main point I believe.

TTR made a good point in the other thread. Not like the Jet Reception and Yacht Hop wasn't a lifestyle event. ;)

5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'd say participation was average to good. Most definitely not the "best ever".

Of course people has a good time. How could they not? I mean it would be pretty hard to **** up a day like that. you might find this really shocking but I had a great time too. :)

That is a great point. Yes those were certainly lifestyle events by definition.

To be 100% open and honest there is a difference IMO between those Palm Beach events and the "new" Miami standard. I'll concede that both can be obnoxious in their own way but the current Miami flavor of "lifestyle" is arguably the pinnacle of entitled little trust fund ****** bags who think their **** doesn't stink. :) Trust me, I've been doing the Miami scene since '97 when my wife modelled. It's changed a lot since your last event. I think you'd last ten minutes with the new crowd before you'd want to throat punch them. ;) The new Ferrari guard appears to be cut from the same cloth. Just look at what they did to Cavallino Ristorante and what they are doing across the brand.

For better or worse things to be headed in that direction despite what I think. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Another variable is competition. Everybody and their brother here wants to run an event. We seemingly have them almost every month. This weekend is the inaugural Motorcar Cavalcade. Then we have the Design District, Exotics on Las Olas, Cars on 5th, Amelia, Supercar Saturdays, etc., etc. Hell, we have a monthly local C&C that is open to everyone for free that regularly pulls 1,000 cars.

I want Cavallino to succeed and be around for a long time. That is why I'm passionate about my opinions. Lol, I'd even accept it moving to Miami IF it was for the best. I would never go again though (not that anyone cares). I don't set foot in that cess pool unless I'm getting paid. Even then I double my rate as a ******** tax to put up with the entitlement and traffic. :) But based on what I'm hearing from collectors they would have a hard time getting cars there. It's just a logistical nightmare for anyone north of Dade. They would really have to sweeten the pot to get them there.

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I live 30 minutes from Miami.
    I avoid it at all costs.

Lusso123, JAM1, Texas Forever and 3 others like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If I owned a valuable Ferrari, I'd have second thoughts on signing up for an event in Miami. Security is a big concern.

Oengus and HotShoe like this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we didn't have any issues at all, but all private properties Ritz Key Biscayne, mansions, etc. only one public was Design District, but it was in the morning and we had security.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    I live in West Palm Beach and there isn't a chance in Haiti i would ever take a car down to Miami. NEVER.....

Lusso123, bball16, JAM1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I stayed twice at the Ritz in Key Biscayne and was not impressed. They can't even keep the pool clean. And I haven't mentioned the breakfast buffet yet.
    Not that it really matters here, of course. Just saying.

Marcel Massini

Jack-the-lad, Terra and Texas Forever like this.
  11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I booked and stayed at a Ritz once. Well. 'Semi' stayed. I checked in, Ritz in Atlanta, got to my room, was unimpressed (then a young Soldier, on my first 2 days of leave in a long time, anxious for luxury), and went down stairs, checked out, stayed at the Double Tree down the road, 2x as nice, AND with warm chocolate chip cookies! :)

Terra and Texas Forever like this.
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Kind of like me and L.A. (45-60+ min. away) or O.C. (30+ min. away). :rolleyes:
    Other than occasional business necessities or (pre-pandemic) entertainment (arts, dining, museums, opera, theater, etc), neither has much to offer for me anyway. Certainly wouldn’t want to live in either, as most of the areas are too far from good/plentiful (interesting) driving roads.
    OTOH, I don’t believe there’s much, if any such anywhere in FL either. ;)

Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Just read it, fun piece:D!

14. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This. This right here really annoyed me.

Granted, there are rumors going around that PBIR was sold to a warehouse developer, but not sure if anything has actually come of that.

Still, too far from Palm Beach and owners only. I didn’t mind paying the $30 entry fee at PBIR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

You summed it up well Anthony and since I won't have time to write the new Cavallino owner, I will say this:

Mr Orlandini I wrote for Cavallino for ten years 1992-2001, a very substantial quantity of comprehensive research articles -up to 15 pages each in two or three parts- and also race reports such as Le Mans in person, all the Schumacher F1 years 96 to 2001, test drives of 333SP, 250LM, pontoon fenderd testa Rossa etc, other event coverage etc including the actual official Cavallino Classic event report in Cavallino for numerous years.

I care about this event and hope that you will listen to the constructive comments of those who want to see it continue in the right way not become an ultra elite stalag.
    I wish you Boca lupo (italian expression for good luck).

Marc Sonnery

PS: I put here my article list not to fare bella figura but to make it clear I put a lot of myself into this magazine and event in those years.

CAVALLINO Issue 68 April 1992 Summary photo, Cavallino Classic I: main photo plus another. Issue 69 June 1992 Letter with information on 512S'. Issue 72, December 1992 First ever article: cover article, 8 pages, 512S longtails. Issue 74 April 1993 3 full pages of positive reactions to 512S longtails story. 2 photos in summary page, 1 in Cavallino Classic report. Issue 77 October 1993 348 at Le Mans page 40: ½ page. Issue 78 December 1993: two more letters in reference to 512S longtails article. Issue 80 April 1994 photo page 4, page 14, 19, 34. Issue 81 June 1994 275GTB #6885GT part 1, 7 pages. Photo page 35. Issue 82 August 1994 275GTB #6885GT part 2, 5 pages. Issue 83 October 1994 Ferraris at Le Mans 3 pages. F40 racing news page 37. Issue 84 December 1994 2 photos page 37, page 40. Issue 86 April 1995 1 summary photo, 3 photos page 14, page 15 (believed to be first car to car moving shot in Cavallino). Issue 87 June 1995 photo page 41, 43. Issue 88 August 1995 9 photos page 20, 21, Ferraris at Le Mans 95 3 pages. Issue 90 January 1996 First cover photo, M.S. name added to contributing editors list. First salon photoshoot, pages 26, 27, 30, 31. An evening in a French Chateau with Le Mans winner Olivier Gendebien and...a tornado text: 2,5 pages. Issue 92 April 1996 2 photos page 12, page 13. Presentation of new F1 car: F310: page 42 start of uninterrupted F1 coverage to summer 2001. Issue 93 June 1996 Second cover photo and salon photoshoot pages 24 to 29 inclusive. The Challenge of the Nurburgring text, 6 pages. F1 season starts text, page 43. Photo page 44. Issue 94 August 1996 photos page 21, 38, 39, 40, 41, 43. F1 season continues text, pages 45, 46. Ferraris at Le Mans 1996 text, 4 pages. Issue 95 October 1996, 4 photos page 5. Positive reader letter page 11. F40GTE Anders Oloffson interview 3 page text. F1 season continues text pages 45, 46. Issue 96 December 1996 F1 season continues text pages 40, 41. Issue 97 February 1997 212E (Montagna) revelations text 6 pages. Issue 98 April May 1997 F1 car F310B presentation 1 page. Cavallino Classic text report, begins annual coverage of C.C.: 5 pages, 3 photos. 250GT TDF test drive at Spa my first test drive for Cavallino, 5 pages text and photos. Done by special 36 hour return trip from US to Spa Francorchamps, Belgium. Issue 99 June 1997 312 Prototype history part 1: 9 pages. F1 season begins text p. 58.

Issue 100 August 1997 positive reader letter page 7. F1 season reaches a peak text 2 pages. Issue 101 October 1997 3 pages of positive reaction to 212E Montagna article. 312P text part 2; 5 pages. Le Mans (24hour) interviews 3 pages. F1 reports: 1 page. Issue 102 December 1997: cover photo 712P text and photos 6 pages. 212 Inter Pininfarina text and photos 7 pages. F1 reports 1 page. Issue 103 February 1998 reader letter on 312P article. Speedline wheels text 2 pages. Issue 104 April 1998 cover photo, summary photo. Cavallino Classic text 5 pages, 7 photos. Presentation of F300 F1 car 1 page text. Issue 105 June 1998 F1 reports, 1 page. 250LM #6051 test drive and bio (cover photo of the car by Jerry Wyszatycki) 9 page article. Issue 106 August 1998 F1 reports 1 page. Issue 107 October 1998 Ferrari at Le Mans text three pages. F1 reports 1 page. Issue 108 December 1998 F1 season conclusion. 312P salon photoshoot at Mas du Clos collection 4 pages. Issue 109 February 1999 La Piccola bio article 10 pages text and salon photoshoot. Issue 110 April 1999 Cavallino Classic report 5 page text. F1 F399 presentation 1 page. Book review(unsigned) 1 page. Issue 111 June 1999 6 page reader letter in response to la Piccola article. 333SP bio and test drive fastest car ever tested in Cavallino. Only journalist test drive of a 333SP in US media, 9 page article cover and summary photo. Photography by another photographer (Jerry Wyszatycki). F1 reports 1 page. Issue 112 August 1999 Cover photo Dino F1 V12 bio text and salon photoshoot 10 pages. F1 team logistics article with interview of Claudio Berro: text and photos 3 pages. F1 reports 1,5 pages. Issue 113 October 1999 250 Testa Rossa bio, test drive and salon photoshoot 8 pages. F1 report 1 page. Issue 114 December 1999 1 page reader letter in response to 246 F1 article. Reader response letter to 250LM article, M.S. reply. F1 season conclusion 1,5 pages. Issue 115 February 2000 reader response letter to 250TR article. Interview of Didier Theys on his 360 Modena test drive, salon photoshoot with moving shots 4 pages. Issue 116 April 2000 Presentation of F1-2000 2 pages. 360 Modena challenge car presentation text and photos 3 pages. F550GT bio text interviews and salon photoshoot 11 pages. Cavallino Classic report 12 pages, 11 photos. 3 photos on page 70. Text and or photos by Marc on a total of 30 pages in this issue. Issue 117 June 2000 F1 analysis, endurance racing update, 550 Millennios 2 page text Issue 118 August 2000 F1 analysis, 333SP report, 360 Modena on track: 2 page text. Issue 119 October 2000 reader letter on Dino F1 V12, Marc response. Chris Amon and Derek Bell interviews on 312 F1 10 pages. Ferrari Challenge rally Adirondacks text and photos 5 pages. F1 analysis text 2 pages. Issue 120 December 2000 F1 in depth analysis Schumacher champion at last: 3 page text. Issue 121 February 2001 cover photo. Summary photo. Reader response letter to 246 Dino F1 article. 268SP part 1 bio text and salon photoshoot 13 pages. Longest ever article in Cavallino, without counting part two. Issue 122 April 2001 268SP part 2 bio text and test drive. [Michael Schumacher’s F1 driver’s] Title in perspective. Issue 123 June 2001 cover shot and salon photography of 360 Spyder. F2001 presentation and race analysis. Summer 2001: M. Sonnery decided to suspend most freelancing due to a full time job. Ferrari 250GT SWB Breadvan #2819 research material, text and photoshoot turned over to the excellent Alan Boe; article continued and finished by him, published in Cavallino issue 135 June 2003, with cover shot.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it was OK, but certainly not dollar for dollar! I've never been to Breakers, much better?

17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Breakers clearly is a different league. Fortunately.

Marcel Massini

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    BlackBird007 likes this.
  19. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I need to stay there eventually. Wish it was affiliated with a hotel chain, I have a stash of Marriott points that I could use there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotShoe, Terra and jm2 like this.
  20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Come during the off-season and it’s cheaper. It’s also less crowded which is nice. If you do make sure you get their breakfast buffet. :)

BlackBird007 and jm2 like this.
  21. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Can we all agree that...

1. Ferrari had absolutely nothing to do with the restrictions imposed by Canossa and Canossa alone.
    2. Ferrari ( nor Canossa ) at no time implied or stated that seasoned veteran judges were to be replaced by car salesmen.
    3. That no one here have the actual attendance numbers from this year or previous years, therefore what it currently being thrown around are opinions.
    4. The the Classiche only rule was introduced as a rumor only and at no time was it applied to the judging field.
    5. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that does not make said opinion fact.

My personal opinions

1. Cavallino is owned by Canossa, its their party, they can do, say, present, market, and restrict access as THEY see fit, it's their party.
    2. Show us where it was officially announced
    3. I am sure John Barnes and/or Canossa can provide actual ticket sales numbers, but will they?
    4. From what I have been told by good authority from Ferrari , is that the cars that Ferrari were to provide, were to be Classiche examples.. this did not extend to the field of Ferrari being judged.
    5. These are my opinions and worth what you have paid for them... LOL

TTR, Lusso123, BlackBird007 and 3 others like this.
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks for speaking out. The rest of us in the peanut gallery have nothing left to lose. You, however, do. I appreciate you speaking out.

BlackBird007 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Quick story: I was once on a flight to LA and seated next to an older woman. She mentioned she lived in the Breakers. I said, "wow, that is great. I'm a big fan of the Cavallino car show." For the rest of the flight I had to listen to how much she hated all those cars. Ah, ma 'man I need another drink...

FerrfanFL, Nembo1777 and jm2 like this.
  24. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    What a thread. I've decided a few things from reading all 34 pages (so far).

- While I wasn't able to attend my first Cavallino this year due to a schedule conflict, I will plan on doing so in 2023.

- Going to skip the expensive packages that sound enticing, as the only thing that seemed to please most were the Ferrari's on the lawn. Albeit some missing.

- Stay far away from the tortellini, or any dinner served on grounds for muchos dineros...by likely underpaid staff. That last part was disgusting to read.

- Pessimistic voices are always the loudest and most prevalent.

- Decide for yourself, attendance mandatory.

Texas Forever likes this.
  25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #850 Rifledriver, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    Neither party owes anyone attendance numbers. Thats their business.
    And no one with any understanding of what happened holds Ferrari accountable for anything of a negative nature. To do so would be through ignorance of actual events.