Bicep tendon tear | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bicep tendon tear

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Crayzee1, Dec 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Yesterday I had an appointment with the surgery. We went over my MRI's (or rather he did and I nodded when it seemed appropriate) and I have a few bone spurs that are quite prominent where the tear occurred. I may have misunderstand him, but I thought he said that it could have been an aggravating factor in my tear. The cosmetics of it doesn't bother me, what concerns me is the increased loads on the remaining tendons.

I enjoy doing the obstacle course runs and the associated working out that goes with training for the challenge. I'd rate myself as very active. As someone else said, I'd rather be put back together as intended. My question to you, should I be concerned about further injury because of my activeness?

My surgeon also said he would clean up the bone spurs in my shoulder when he is in there.

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Definitely the best conversation is the one with the guy who will cut your shoulder. He's right about the bone spurs "possibly" contributing to the rupture. Bone spurs are degenerative changes, as I mentioned as being a possible cause, though it's degenerative changes to the tendon. Having a degenerative joint in one area (the joint surface, causing bone spurs), can mean there are changes elsewhere in the joint (the tendon). But in reality, it doesnt matter any more. The tendon is not going back "as intended". Your surgeon will anchor it back on stretch to the right length, but not back inside the joint where it came from. So any bone spurs that may have contributed (which is unlikely), have no tendon to injure any longer. The other short head of biceps tendon is not in the joint and will be fine. Even if you want it "fixed" consider how much work you want done on the inside of your shoulder, particularly if it feels fine. I'm a minimalist surgeon, so I just take care of what needs taking care of. Human bodies are not cars, so the "while we're in there, we'll just take care of X" approach has not always served in my patients' best interest. That does not mean it's never appropriate. Hence, talk to your Surgeon. Just make sure you decide rather thn letting anyone else decide for you. That's why I felt like writing here, as people were trying to give you good advice, but advice based on a completely different problem. The surgeon you talk with face to face will always be better than any of us. If you aren't comfortable with him, then get another.