Bigger wheels on F12 | FerrariChat

Bigger wheels on F12

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by hassan jarrar, Aug 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hassan jarrar

hassan jarrar Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    TheMBOD
    Thinking of replacing 20' OEMs w 21' all around. May also lower suspension by 1/2'. Any adverse effects on ride and handling?

LMH likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - check out the F12 section where there is probably some relevant experience

3. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    Any time you increase wheel diameter without an increase in the tire’s outer diameter, your ride quality will decrease.

The sidewall on a tire acts as a spring. If you decrease the amount of sidewall, you decrease the amount of rubber to absorb bumps.

Lowering a car can also compromise handling. It doesn’t have to, but it can.

What goal are you trying to achieve?

If your goal is to make the car faster, then you need to A/B it on a track in similar conditions to see if you are actually faster. Seat of the pants doesn’t work, because you can have a slower car that feels faster due to a tougher ride.

If your goal is looks, then decide how much comfort you want to sacrifice for looks.

Either way, realize that the next owner may not have the same goals as you. With any car, it’s easier to find someone who will accept an unmodified vehicle. If you are fine with having a reduced potential pool of buyers and/or a value that may be less than an unmodified version, then modify away to your heart’s desire.

I’m not say do or don’t do it, but take the time to think about what your goals are and proceed accordingly.

LMH likes this.
  4. hassan jarrar

hassan jarrar Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    TheMBOD
    Thanks you for the amazing feedback. I have actually decided to go 21 back and 20 front but w meatier sidewalls for the exact reasons you mentioned. Lowering the car by no more than 1/2 inch. I am doing it for aesthetics only. Keeping the original wheels of course in case of sale. Thanks again fro your valuable advice.

5. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019

Best of luck!

As long as people are really honest about what they want to achieve, they can make mods that make sense for them.

It’s like someone who wants to be super strong and have a six pack, without using steroids. You might get a six pack and be stronger than you are now, but you’ll never be as strong as the guy that is focused on strength who looks like he has a gut. It’s all about identifying priorities and accepting the trade offs.

6. tobymax

tobymax Rookie

Nov 1, 2009
    Franklin, MI
    Did you ever pull the trigger on the wheels? I am considering doing something similar on my 2016 F12 and was curious on how its working out.