bikes | Page 4 | FerrariChat

bikes

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bob minogue, Jul 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    so u went to hamburger university too. and where is your mcdonalds?

2. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    you better have good news tomorrow night

3. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    tomorrow night?? i'm confused darling

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Or what? Gonna have to ***** slap some respect into you young man :D

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    STD test results come in.

6. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    [aretha]give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me awoooahahawaoah a little respect give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me [/aretha]

7. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#82 360C, Jul 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are my 2 remaining Ducati motorcycles.

Race bike is a 955 CORSA "Customer spec" factory race bike. Raced in 1995, 1996 and 1997 by the Australian importers in the Australian superbike series. Also did the 1997 World Super Bike race at Phillip Island. Immaculately restored and flawless.

Road Bike started life as a 996SPS. Heaps of modifications with Corsa race parts throughout engine/chassis. Magnesium and carbon fibre everywhere, lots of grunt. Immaculate and flawless- 4000km's, maybe less (can't remember). Pee Pee did most of those too :)

Don't ride anymore, probably should sell 'em if anyone is interested.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Is that the bike Steve Martin rode?

9. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    why would a man with two brains ride a coffin with two wheels?

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Idiot!!! Steve Martin defected from riding Melbourne Suzuki's GSXR750 in Aussie superbikes, joined Ducati on the tractor, won the championship, regularly beating Troy Bayliss, joined the world championships and disappeared into oblivion.

11. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    *groan*

12. JoeK

JoeK Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    very nice i still like the look of the single swing arm.

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    oh come on...i did SOME km!! maybe a couple! but most? sheesh. do i have to pay a percentage of the depreciation too? :)

14. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    Scott - stunning mate

the older 748/916/996 shape is still by far my favourite.....the newer dukes dont give me the same emotional responses!!!

you say the roadie started as a 996SPS but it has 916 decals? typo i guess?

looks impeccable, carbon bodywork sets it off a treat

cheers

Aidan

15. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i can't believe it but i'm actually starting to notice the difference between bikes... i used to be able to pick the difference between a harley, a sportbike, and a dirtbike... now i can tell a duke, a bimmer/beemer :rolleyes: , riceburner, and several models thereforepreviouslyaforementionedofwhich.

amazing huh? :)

16. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    hehe you pick it up pretty quick once you start paying a bit of attention to whats out there

soon you start to be able to pick brands based on bodywork shape....

then you start to be able to pick YEARS of bikes based on colour schemes, exhaust positioning etc....

and then its all downhill till you buy one :p

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I would have to check the authentication certificate. Pretty sure he did, as well as many others.

18. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    mmm, i listen first, it's easy enough to tell if it's a 250cc L plater trying hard or a proper 'muscle bike' coming at you. if it has an F1ish burble i look around and usually see a 996, rider sitting up with left hand resting on thigh. :cool:

my mate's a huge bike fan, knows all of them... was even sh!tted oneday a year or so ago when we saw a bike go by giving it some with a bit of wheelie action...

he goes "ducati 7... something something" feeling real proud of himself

me goes "stupid ferrari-wannabe badges"

he "nah, trust me man, that's a biker. the *aprillia* (i don't know :confused: ) logo looks a lot like the ferrari logo"

me "well, trust me man, i know exotics and that was a prancing horse on that bike"

2 mins later the bike comes back past us slowly and we get a close up look, f&*king ferrari badges on it.... :rolleyes:

he "shut up. just shut up."

:D

19. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yes, I could never get into the current shape Ducati's though I admit Stephens bike looks nice.

The decals are correct. The very FIRST 996SPS wore "916" decals. It was model year 1997 from memory. From the following year, they wore 996 decals.

The bike cost me $75k all up after all the modifications. As I said, pretty much everything is carbon fibre and magnesium. That gold single sided swingarm is a corsa magnesium item, as are the Marchesini race wheels. It also runs a full Corsa large bore titanium race exhaust and a number of Corsa engine mods. Goes like stink; but a little bit too stroppy for traffic use.

20. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    haha nice :)

yeah the note gives the game away quite often. a raspy motocross bike 2 stroke sound usually denotes a nice aprilia RS250 or Suzuki RGV250 (same engine)

a big capacity jap bike is generally alot deeper obviously, but still rather shrill and screamish when provoked hard

a duke on the other hand.....sounds like the world is coming to an end....just perfect :D

21. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    hmm interesting bit of trivia there

i must have a duke one day. not really fussed about the 900cc + models, id like a 748SPS

neighbour across the road has a yellow one with termi system, carbon huggers and detail pieces, braided lines, marchesini rims and a couple other minor tweaks

sounds brilliant and he says a bit lighter at the helm than a 916+ bike

thing with the 2 ends of the spectrum, and say R6 vs R1 Yamaha....is the R1/916 will walk away on a nice long straight or freeway but the smaller bike, well ridden, will be just as fast, and easier to ride, thru the tight stuff....

22. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    thing is, that's the sound i want coming from my car. i hear that sound and see a bike go by and i think "mm nice", but if i heard that coming out of a little sportscar my jaw would drop.

what does a stock duke rev to? what do they 'cruise' at?

23. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You should hear the carbon bike, it's out of control. It sets off all the car alarms as you ride down the street. Also makes little kids cry as has happened several times :)

24. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    scaring young children is a great pastime

what brand is the exhaust on it?

25. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Rode a borrowed 748 up and down the great ocean road once. Not enough power to break traction, so harder to get into trouble. The 996 SPS is a classic, just like the old 851 SP's.

The bike Stephen put a deposit on is tempting (if I started riding again). The only good looking Ducati since the 916 series.