Bing ?? | FerrariChat

Bing ??

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TheBigEasy, Jun 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    So Microsoft has replaced their "Live" website with something called Bing??

I don't really get it... I thought Live was an awesome URL for them to use to compete with Google.

Anyone use it?

2. Ralph K

Ralph K Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2008
    Full Name:
    Ralph
    Hehe nice, I didn't know that. I just checked it out.

I only used it for Live Maps coz their resolution is 10000X better than google maps and google earth.

3. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Because It's Not Google

4. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I don't think anyone will ever match Google's search engine and AdSense business... but I do like Live Maps better than Google Maps. IMO the "Birdseye" feature is much better than the "streetview".

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    How can you post this without the wonderful backstory of geeky self-recursive
    program names???

The original internet mail program in SCO UNIX was called ELM - ELectronic Mail.

A better version came out later - it was called Pine - which of course stood
    for Pine Is Not Elm - I believe this was the first of the self-recursive names.
    I was a Pine user on SCO Unix myself 'back in the day'.

So Bing is really quite nostalgic in its own geeky way...

Jedi

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Firstly, IMHO, to be recursive (and very pedantic), "Bing" is "Bing is not Google".

:D
    No sir! - GNU ["Gnu's not Unix") was coined by Richard Stallman (one of the Gods IMO), back in 1983: http://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html

If you're a true "free software" believer, it kind of sucks that many of us now run "Linux" - It really should be called "GNU/Linux" - Linus Torvalds (another God btw!) developed a *kernel* using the GNU tools: http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#windows

Cheers,
    Ian

7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Golly it's fun to find old-school geeks! I totally stand corrected :)

Most of my machines now run Ubuntu (Debian) 9.04, but my first Unix was SCO in 1994 - no idea what build after all these years...
    It was EVIL to use, even after I found a copy of X-Window.

Cheers back atcha!

Jedi

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Oh dear....you're one of THEM ;)

9. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Bing looks like Google with desktop wallpaper :eek:

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ?? [As you know, I am sponsored by the Hemp Industries Association after all ;) ]

I am proud of my support for the FSF over the years..... I'll concede that rms is a little "out there" on occasion, but they do have a point IMHO - GNU (and the FSF) really did legitimize the whole open source / free software movement..... Linus himself is the first to admit he couldn't have done his Linux kernel without the GNU tools.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :) I seem to remember there's an even earlier use of recursion in names, but can't remember any more [Yep, I am getting old!]

Wasn't it Xenix back then? - Difficult, not at all "user friendly", but I wouldn't go as far as "evil" - *That* moniker is reserved for Bills Evil empire IMHO. ;)

IIRC, SCO could have dominated the Intel / Unix market if they'd concentrated on developing it rather than trying to claim they owned "everything" - Didn't they try suing IBM (!) at one point? [Silly Santa Cruz people!....]

Geek on!, cheers,
    Ian

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Granted -- but until HURD actually runs, this whole thing comes off more as sour grapes than a legitimate issue. Heck, if the GNU/Advocates :)D) spent as much time coding as writing missives on websites, they'd be done by now.

SCO at the end and in the courtroom wasn't the same company that was great Back In The Day. I wonder whatever happened to Tarantella?

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fair comment - "Political activism" has certainly hurt their "credibility" - Which is a shame IMHO.

+1

From Wikipedia: On July 13, 2005, Tarantella, Inc. was purchased by Sun Microsystems for US$25,000,000. Tarantella exists now only as a division of Sun, and will likely become a division of Oracle Corporation.

At least some people made some $.......

14. Market Mover

Market Mover Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2006
    Glastonbury CT
    always used live for the maps this makes it a little prettier
    I thought they named it after Chandler

15. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I kind of like the name now that I know "B-ecause I-ts N-ot G-oogle". Kind of...

16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hopefully it will do better that Cuil. Anyone know about Cuil? Yeah thought not. Google killer it ain't!

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I realize this is an old thread but I’m looking for some assistance with Bing. MSFT recently changed the dashboard on the Bing home page and there doesn’t seem to be a way to prioritize search results by date…not exact dates but within a certain range, such as 24 hours, one week, one month, one year, etc…,as was the case before. Can someone assist in finding this feature?

Thanks.

Jack.

18. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Well hello 13 years ago!

They shoulda stuck with Live.com

They certainly didn’t put any dent in Google.

19. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    You are a bad human being. :D

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Anybody have an actual idea?;)

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I wish there was a good search engine these days. Google used to be decent (forget the data accumulation for a second, any device you do it off anyways will get the data so if we won't want "them" knowing anything burn your computer, books, the ****ing lot and live in a cave), but they noticeably changed their algorithm a few years ago and ''fine tuned'' it ever since, and it's only getting worse and worse. It's ridiculously hard to actually find what you're looking for. 99% is the same news story (for example) over and over again, just under a different website name. Really frustrating. I tried them all, google, Bing, duckduckgo etc etc. They've all turned to ****. Yes even with ''advanced'' search terms quote marks and so on.

22. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes. They are 100% on AdWords.

The crazy scam they have now is you search any major “brand” out there….. and the actual site you want is almost always below the first screen (you have to scroll down)…. With the top results all ads.

So the idea that you have to big highly on your own brand name just to be the top result for people searching for you directly costs a fortune.

We have spent over $100k a year on Google ads for 10+ years. We have tried the other search engines but they are insignificant.

Bas likes this.
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    absolutely. And Ads themself is a PITA to manage as well. A couple of years ago we launched an app and used google Ads for promotion. We had to pay something like a dollar per download. It was live for maybe 10 minutes and we had 5000 downloads. Great right? Not really, when you consider that of those 5000, we had 12 actually use the app (I could see this through our CRM). Of those 12, only 1 got beyond the sign up page (it was literally step one) but used fake phone # and name to "register". 100% a scam run by google itself. They couldn't care less. They waived part of the fee but still cost us 1000s.

Other search engines like you say are absolutely irrelevant and a waste of time.

When is google officially naming itself Skynet?

TheBigEasy likes this.
  24. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    When it becomes self-aware. ;)

Bas likes this.
  25. Bas