Binotto's Technical Leadership. | FerrariChat

Binotto's Technical Leadership.

Discussion in 'F1' started by Kimi2007, Nov 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    #1 Kimi2007, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Putting aside the bad strategy, the pits screw ups, the bad political leadership, the internal fighting, and the general utter humiliation under Binotto, I'd like to ask a question that I don't see asked.

I honestly don't know how Binotto has a reputation for being such an technical wizard. He worked in the engine shop in the Schumi years, big deal. Doesn't make him an expert at aero, good at organization, politics, strategy, budgets, etc. In fact, since he became technical director Ferrari cars have had piss poor development cycles, where they fall of a cliff in the summer, and go backwards technically.

And speaking of engines, Binotto has been head of the engine department since Mercedes rise to dominance. The 2019 fuel scandal should've told us all we needed to know about Binotto's judgement, and how he didn't have any technical answer to Mercedes. What's more, Ferrari engines are unreliable, the cars have been lacking in aero efficiency, and oh yeah, TD39. Another instance of Binotto being totally reliant on a loop hole for an advantage.

I'm sorry, what am I missing here?! Where is this amazing technical leadership I keep hearing about? Because Ferrari's technical department seems to have been as bad as it was under Pat Fry.

ingegnere, montegoblue, Bas and 2 others like this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari developed the split-turbo design of Mercedes but ditched the idea and are still holding on to their original design as they[Ferrari] see it "bears fruit."

They're the only team and engine supplier to not adopt the split-turbo design....currently.

So after 9 years of this turbo-hybrid era formula, Ferrari PU's are the least reliable engines.....across the board.

Honda has made progress in their engines after the redesign in 2017 and followed the split-turbo design of Mercedes.

Ferrari has instituted a path of regression with their engines.

There's ALOT to fix.....STILL....at Ferrari F1.

How many TP's in this turbo-hybrid era for Ferrari?...4

Mercedes still has Toto and RedBull still have Horner.

250boano, Bas, Kimi2007 and 1 other person like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That tells us all we need to know, IMO.

Binotto has been in post for 3 years which is generally the shelf life of a principal at the Scuderia, with race exceptions (Todt 14 years, Domenicali 6), with many doing only 2 years and some only one! So far 22 team principals since 1950 !

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    All of that notwithstanding, sending him back to the technical office, as some have suggested, would be a mistake from a management standpoint. It would be perceived as a demotion regardless of the PR flak. I’ve seen things like that happen many times in business and it rarely works out. Of the four possible options….leave in place, promote, demote, dismiss…a demotion is the usually least satisfactory. Well there’s a fifth, actually, and the absolute worst: title sharing.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Forghieri was effectively demoted in 1972 when the "Spazzaneve" did not do what was expected, and others designed the 312 B3 for 1973. When it proved to be hopeless, Forghieri was reinstated and eventually turned the 312 B3 into a winner, proving that some of the principles employed in the "Spazzaneve" had been correct after all.

375+ and william like this.
  6. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    They'll give Binotto the option to either leave, or take a lower position. He'll take the gardening leave and the payout, if he is in fact being replaced.

Bas likes this.
  7. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    The biggest problem is that those overseeing and designing Ferrari's cars went from being the cream of the crop, to those who were still learning or were a step below the best and brightest.

Domenicali had Fry, then Binotto lead the technical direction under Arrivabene, as well as his own tenure as TP. the results speak for themselves.

Ferrari's cars need to get better. Period. They need to work on the problem of aero drag that is killing them down the straightaways, as well their tire degradation issues, and that's going to require fresh eyes. Binotto had his chance. Time to give the controls to somebody else.

IMHO, an all hands on deck approach is needed. Vasseur, Reista, Sanchez, and Byrne need to work together day and night to solve Ferrari's aero shortcomings.

Bas likes this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari F1 has lost some key players......only to work for Mercedes F1 or other car manufacturers whom have become successful in their future endeavors.

It seems Ferrari F1 stifles the progression of its engineering along with its drivers.

william and Bas like this.
  9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    He was the exception, in many ways.

10. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    But hey........he's Italian!

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Oh, I thought he was Swiss.

Born and bred in Lausanne (French-speaking region), that looks very Swiss to me.

LVP488 likes this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The French think that Swiss - French ( Suisse Romande ) are farmers and idiots... its kind of how New Yorkers think of people from the Southeast... Hey ya'll....

13. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    And New Jersey!

14. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Nah. Nobody thinks of farming in New Jersey ;)

15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    And for all the reasons you listed, I don’t understand people saying he’ll take his knowledge or capabilities to other teams.

His management skills have been opened to be lacking and as for his technical skills, he’s been out of the detailed design of engines for years and as TD he never really was involved in chassis and aero design so what does that leave?

Kimi2007 and william like this.
  16. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    He's Swiss-born Italian and his parents were Italian.

17. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Let's hope that by Monday Binotto's replacement is named and reshaping the team and the 2023 car goes forward quickly.

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Replacement is due to be anouced only first january. Possibly because it's Vasseur and he's got a contract t'ill the end of then year.

19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Binotto has left the PU in good shape it appears. I think Binotto being burned at the stake is not necessary!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ferraris-2023-f1-engine-is-the-bomb-says-steiner/10408041/

Ferrari’s 2023 F1 engine is ‘the bomb’, says Steiner
    Haas team principal Gunther Steiner has hinted that engine partner Ferrari has made major progress with its 2023 Formula 1 power unit, which he has cheekily praised as ‘the bomb.’

By: Jonathan Noble
    Co-author: Franco Nugnes , Featured writer
    Dec 5, 2022, 2:51 PM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari’s 2022 engine was a good step forward this year, with outgoing boss Mattia Binotto claiming that the Maranello squad had made the biggest progress season to season that he had ever known.

"On the power unit, we set big numbers in terms of objectives,” he said over the summer.

“And what I've seen that we have been capable of developing during last season for 2022 on the power unit, in more than 25 years in Maranello, I never saw that.”

However, as the Italian manufacturer pushed hard on performance with F1’s engine freeze locking in development, it did suffer some reliability problems.

Binotto subsequently revealed at the end of the year that the team had had to wind down its power over the second half of the campaign to ensure it did not hit repeat trouble.

But, as revealed by Autosport, Ferrari was able to go more aggressive for the season finale in Abu Dhabi after getting to the bottom of its earlier issues.

That has set the squad up for maximum performance from its engine in 2023, which could boost the title hopes of Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz as well as the form of its customer teams.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Photo by: Glenn Dunbar / Motorsport Images

Steiner, appearing at the Lorenzo Bandini Trophy Awards ceremony in Faenza at the weekend where driver Kevin Magnussen collected the accolade, has offered clues about optimism from within Ferrari.

“On Thursday I met Mattia Binotto and he told me that next season's engine will be the bomb,” he said.

“In Emilia Romagna, there is a lot of support for Ferrari. And if it [the engine] is competitive, it will be positive for us too.”

Steiner added he was encouraged by the progress that Haas made in 2022, which included a shock pole position for Kevin Magnussen at the Brazilian Grand Prix, but said the team’s targets had not been met yet.

"We've had two difficult years with the pandemic,” he said. “The championship that just ended went well, but it could also have gone better.

“We consider it a year of growth: Magnussen gave us a pole position that wasn't in the plans and in 2023 we want to grow further. The goal is to make another step forward in the standings, to always fight for points and one day get on the podium".

Speaking just down the road from rival AlphaTauri, which Haas edged in the constructors’ championship this year, Steiner said that the efforts of parts supplier Dallara, and input from technical director Simone Resta, left him confident about prospects for 2023.

“You'll see next year we will have a single-seater that will represent a step forward,” he said. “We hope to beat AlphaTauri again.”

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I am not so sure using the term "the bomb" to describe an engine that has to last 5 races is "wise".

Jeronimo GTO, Bas and william like this.
  21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Well the top 3 routinely bring new PU's into the useage and does it need to last 5 ideally. Possibly but they are using more than 3 each year.

william likes this.
  22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I meant that it was poor form to describe an engine as a bomb.

Remember the old days when an engine might not even last a practice session.
    Those were actual bombs.
    And it is poor form to use a term that accurately describe those engines in the past as the antithesis of modern engines (which don't go boom).

Modern terminology................sheesh.........

23. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    I don't think "bomb" is necessarily a good name for any engine.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't care for talk about how good an engine is going to be. Seeing is believing.

Very dangerous to claim your engine is great. Better back up your claim with results. We saw that with renault all too often. Best was non-renault drivers laughing out loud at Renault claim of reaching 1000hp, made even funnier with those same engines blowing on the same spot the same lap...

25. USMCS6

USMCS6 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Like the old saying in drag racing.... You dont race the dyno.

william likes this.