Black Enzo Restoration | FerrariChat

Black Enzo Restoration

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by RedRacer, Feb 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    I am excited to have started the Enzo restoration. As promised I am posting to share with my fellow F chatters. This will probably be at least a six month journey.

imahorse, Sickpuppy, E60 M5 and 4 others like this.
  2. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    simsko, F140C, NürScud and 1 other person like this.
  3. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    Sickpuppy, F140C, NürScud and 4 others like this.
  4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Very interesting thanks for sharing . Can you sum up the story behind this car ?

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes - why does it need "restoration"? I'm confused? Thanks.

6. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    Enzo was driven a bit over 13,000 miles before it came to me. One of the earlier owners did a lot of driving between Utah and Florida. I want to bring the car to Platino Level. This is my journey (restoration). Gauge cluster is currently out for rebuilding.

F140C, NürScud and of2worlds like this.
  7. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I vaguely remember this car. Was the original owner a salesman or somehow affiliated with Steve Harris Imports in Salt Lake City? During the Ferrari Challenge weekend in April 2010 I stopped by SHI and this car was on the showroom floor. My memory is a bit fuzzy but I seem to recall being told the car was owned by a guy who was retired or something and was working at SHI for fun. This might be completely wrong but it was such a random story it stuck with me.

Looking at my pictures it shared the floor with some good company: Rosso Dino 430 Scuderia, 575 SA, and a 212 that once belonged to Mike Hawthorn.

Congrats on the purchase and I look forward to this thread.

NürScud and of2worlds like this.
  8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Enzo is my favorite car, especially Nero :)

JJ likes this.
  9. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    Gran Drewismo,

That is correct, but thank you for adding more to what I had heard. I am building a binder on the history and Love learning all the details. Old photos are a plus of course. Cheers

NürScud and of2worlds like this.
  10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aguh2btnWEVMgpEAHd86eu3zMWiz3A

Here's two that feature the Enzo the most. What sucks is I didn't take any pictures when I got my tour of the dealership and then went back on Sunday to take some but SLC being SLC....the place was closed.

You can PM me your email if you want and I will send you the original photos. They are a bit higher resolution.

NürScud likes this.
  11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    A lot of 'bad history'. Thank God the car is now in good hands. Enjoy it!

:)

F140C and joe sackey like this.
  12. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thankfully

NürScud likes this.
  13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'd French Connection the car and see if any drugs or large sums of cash were left over. The car was Classiche Certified from Ferrari of Los Angeles. I think they even put a new clutch in after it was toasted at Mecum Monterey. Don't know how it would need much work? Aside from the paint

14. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    I did my PPI through RNR. Lots of smaller wear and tear type repairs. Gauge cluster being rebuilt and should be in the car in a week or two. Interior work will commence in a week or two. Original exhaust is missing. Will need to find a replacement exhaust. Aftermarket exhaust currently on the car. Classiche was done and I have the red book. New clutch working fine. No bags of cash.

Makuono, F140C and of2worlds like this.
  15. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Who’s RNR?

16. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
  17. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Noted you didn't state anything about the drugs though ;-)

Congrats on the car and thank you for taking the time to document the restoration process here!

dhari, GHG and of2worlds like this.
  18. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
  19. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Still no drugs?

ewright, Bas, Makuono and 1 other person like this.
  20. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Is a 13k Mile car a sub 2 million dollar car?

21. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Pretty close. I was the under bidder on the very clean 17k mike Car at $1.885 and that was last August. With the history, condition, Miles.... I’d say $1.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The original owner of this car was Bruce G. of Utah; I don't know if there were any other owners between him and the drug traffickers, but the car was seized from Alvaro Lopez Tardon, "a Miami drug dealer," who was apparently sentenced to 150 years in prison. One of the many articles surrounding the seizure of this car and its criminal owner said this:

"Alvaro, and his one-eyed brother, Artemio, moved massive shipments of cocaine from Spain to Africa and Europe. They laundered their money through - where else? - Miami."

But the negative stigma attached to this car is irrational. First off, just because the previous owner was a criminal doesn't mean he abused the car - there are many law-abiding citizens who abuse their cars, so, again, the stigma is irrational. Also, there are plenty of criminal Ferrari owners who DON'T get caught, and whenever they sell cars, there's no issue.

So, yeah, the previous owner was a drug trafficker. Big whoop. Not the first - not even the first on this forum - and it certainly won't be the last.

Moving on...

I got to see this car in 2005 in Vegas during Clarence Habovstak's Scuderia Rampage - back when it was owned by Bruce. I got to see it again in 2016, right here in California, when Exotic Euro Cars brought it to Motor4Toys back in December. Here are some pictures from '05...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login