Black vent window hinge | FerrariChat

Black vent window hinge

Discussion in '206/246' started by racerboy9, Jul 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I am installing some NOS vent windows in my '74 GTS and the upper half of the black hinge that mounts to the door frame needs a little tweaking so the vent glass sits properly in the rubber seal. My fear is the hinge will break rather than bend. Not too much bending required. Has anyone attempted this? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I think your fear may come true!

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The hinge is a cast aluminum piece that is held to the frame by some copper rivits. The frame is made from fairly thin aluminum so your 'bending' will likely occur via the frame rather than a deflection of the hinge itself. Whether the hinge breaks or not has more to do with the porosity of the original casting than its absolute strength which is actually quite high. I'd chance it as I have found the hinge to be fairly robust and will not be the part that bends in the end anyways.

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Man, that was a fast reply! I'll make a stab at bending it as it only has to go a little ways and I have spare hinges. I'll report back success or failure. The upper half of the hinge is the part that needs the slight bending and it is attached to the rigid chromed brass frame so I am assuming the hinge part will take all the stress.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I've done fair amount of adjustments for vent and other glass fit on Daytonas, which have similar design features on their frames and hinges, but never tried to just "bend" the hinge in situ and would be hesitant to attempt.

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I am very hesitant but I intend to go slow on the bending. I saw in a vent window search on this forum where someones vent window hinge was bent from a break-in attempt so I am hoping that means they will bend a little.

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    will it make a difference going slowly, once you reach the fatigue point it will snap!

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    We will find out. Castings don't bend well. I will look at one of my NOS hinges and see how substantial the bending point is. Given these are old school hand built cars, I can't believe they didn't have to do some adjusting at the factory.

9. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Well, I've decided to leave the hinge alone. I put the original vent window back in and it is off a little just like the new one. An original factory quirk. It's not bad and seals well. If I hadn't been micro-examining it I probably wouldn't have picked up on it at all. My guess is the hinge would have cracked if I tried to bend it.

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Wise decision!:)

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Stefan
    could you contact me by PM please as I want to ask a question on your thermostat housings.
    Tony
    forum will not let me contact you!