Black vs. brown in Ferrari-themed "art jacket".Opinions? | FerrariChat

Black vs. brown in Ferrari-themed "art jacket".Opinions?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by bitzman, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I've been collecting leather bomber style jackets to act as a display piece for my automotive art. My favorites are lambskin or other soft leahter (not like real bomber jackets that are more hard surfaced) I have accidentally bought some black ones but wonder if any of you feel like me

-black is too severe a color to depict an italian car
    -black is more suited to Porsches and "colder feeling" German cars
    -brown leather works more harmoniously with red cars

Also I did put Ferrari emblems on some jackets but any opinion out there on whether it's better to leave the front and sleeves emblem free so the wearer isn't touting "Ferrari" from the word "go" It's only when you see the back of the jacket you know they are a Ferraristi. I ask this because out where I see Ferraris in Malibu in the am, everybody is "dressing down" with a nondescript jacket, denim or leather, not touting any brand of car from the front view or side view.
    The jackets I really covet to modify are the ones were the leather is worn--like the jackets been worn for 40 years. I saw one in a shop on Melrose (a fashon street in Lo Angeles for young folks) and it was $500! Ralph Lauren sells jackets that are vaguely military and looking well broken in for over $1000!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Decided brown. I checked Ralph Lauren country store, they had a dark brown bomber jacket at over $2000 and a lighter shade at over $2000 both lacking the pseudo militay insignias.My latest is brown but not "aged" though I'll try to get closer to what he has. That's my prototype painting on the back with Enzo

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Turns out there is a whole website devoted to nothing but vintage leather jackets . Fortunately they have a forum that allows some discussion of replicas, but I am glad to find this site because these are the guys that know everything about the originals. I suppose in the bomber jacket world there's purists that only love originals like Ferrari purists like only like the cars actually from Modena and then there are those who will accept replicas....in jackets I'm a replica as the original bomber jackets are too stiff...

The site is called VintageLeatherjackets.org

Here's my first post there

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/fine-artist-looks-upon-vintage-look-bombers-as-incentive.24301/

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Could get bogged down there wuth endless descriptions of real military jackets vs. replica ones that are softer leather. I did get my
    250GTO engine up on one, might only do racing engines as street engines with air filters look too tame to me...