bleeding 355f1 system | FerrariChat

bleeding 355f1 system

Discussion in '348/355' started by tr512, Mar 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I just installed one of daniels 360 pump updates,can the 355f1 system be bled with out an sd2/3 ? The pump comes on and builds pressure and stops, but i still cannot engage first gear.I was told it can be done with out the machine but nobody seems to know how.I have tried a few things and it seems like it wants to engage.
    Thanks

2. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was thinking about that the other day. Other than turn the pump on while a mechanic opens the bleed fitting what could it possibly to do facilitate bleeding, and we can get the pump to operate in bursts by turning the key or build a simile cable to power it directly.

3. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Oh and since you just replaced the pump, I recalled Watson posted this; When I replaced my F1 pump with a 360 one, the leads on the new pump were reversed and the pump ran backwards.

4. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks
    I did reverse the leads.

5. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I did undo the 10mm bolt with the slot on the side of the block and turned on the key,pump runs but no fluid comes out.

6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I simply hooked everything up and turned the system on. I filled the tank a bit and then cycled the gears a bit and drove off. It ran fine.

To properly bleed the system you need an SD2 computer. I had mine done with the SD system later but truthfully could not tell the difference.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The factory recommended procedure includes the SDx machine that cycles through the solenoids and purges the fluid out of all circuits. In reading the "other" board, there is a guy that invented a diagnostic switch that turns the pump on. He uses that to purge the system while manually cycle through the gears. He sells it on ebay for $250.

If you are lucky and did not let much air in the system, then it will likely drive just fine. If not, you can do what the "guy" did, or take it to the dealer and simply say "bleed it for me."

I think this is going to be a hit and miss thing for a DIY.

8. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks guys for your help. I bought my car in the states and the dealer up here will not touch it because it is a us car,so i'm a bit stuck with out the sd machine.

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Canada is a big place - where are you located?

10. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good info, we really need to get the mystery out of the SDx as a magic wand in some regards. There are only so many things it can do given the hardware, it can operate the pump and the solenoids because that is all there is. So manually powering up the pump and cycling gears would do the same thing, that can be done with a harness and a switch. Some seem to tie the dependance on the SDx to exclusivity, I would rather maintain the car.

11. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks
    I tried to find it on ebay with no luck.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You dont want one anyway. I told the inventor all that his device did was to bypass several safeties in the system exposing it to damage. If you want hydraulic pressure, leave the key on. It will maintain F1 hydraulic pressure until the battery goes dead.

His inability to understand that just highlighted his total lack of understanding of how the system worked. Also I seriously doubt he carried liability insurance to cover your damaged hyper expensive F1 components when his stupid device destroyed one of them.

Simply creating hydraulic pressure does not give one the ability to bleed the system.
    The shop manual has a very good explanation of how the system works and how to bleed it.

While a jury rigged device and the proper methodology could bleed the system you will still need to understand how to do it without damaging something expensive and that information is all there in the book.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not true.

Maybe buy a shop manual and understand it so you can spread truth rather than wives tales.

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Brian, are you referring to the workshop manual or some other shop manual?

I'm interested in learning about the system so please point me in the correct direction.

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #15 ernie, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    Thanks goes to Eddie for this bit of info.

I was having trouble getting the clutch in my 348 to bleed, and ended up having to dead head the clutch master cylinder. You can see what I did here http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/372483-348-throwout-bearing-removal-3.html But since the F1 has no clutch peddal I don't know how you would dead head it????? I also have no idea if the F1 has a bleed nipple on the master under the trunk carpet, but you may want to see if you can bleed it there first, and then follow Eddie's instructions for bleeding the F1 pump.

Hope that helps.

16. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Man your needlessly abrasive.

If the SDx commands various components in sequence and uses various sensors, it stands to reason a general purpose computer like a raspberry pie could be interfaced via a harness to manually turn on the pump, cycle the valves etc. performing the function of the SDx.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    that was you ???

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You are reading too much into what I wrote. He shifts it in gear, then turns the car off, thereby turning off all the solenoids. Then he pressurizes the system manually from a separate battery to feed the fluid into a circuit that is now comprised of all solenoids turned off. That is probably not the best idea.

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #19 taz355, Mar 19, 2013
    Brian is it in the shop manual because I read it twice and although a bit technical I thought basically it says to use an sd computer. My understanding was to set the octopus manually was just so you could get to a shop so they could do it properly? One question I have is can you bleed the clutch without the computer because I believe in the manual you need the sd to do that as well? Now I'm going to reread it again so I do not sound to stupid.

20. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was also reading the shop manual and i thought it said the same thing that you need the sd computer.

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #21 taz355, Mar 19, 2013
    I am re reading now but I do know it says something about manual calibration give me an hour maybe it will make sense this time! No promises though.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The Subaru Brat AH seems to know everything.

I am sure he can guide you through it.

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just read the self calibration for F1 but can not find anything to bleed system still reading though in section d1 page 41 etc. I thought someone said you turn the screw with slot in it but I would not recommend without a reputable ferrari mech says its ok. These manuals give lots of info but I would not trust this without someone with a lot more experience that me giving directions.

24. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Grant
    I just want to thank you for all the help.
    I was also reading something about the screw with the slot,I did try having the key on the opened the screw but no fluid came out.

25. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Classy