Bleeding cooling system | FerrariChat

Bleeding cooling system

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Nov 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    First off, I've read everything out there that's been written on this subject so we don't need to rehash the basics. I just want to see if my experience with this is normal. About three months ago I drained and refilled my system. I just poured coolant into the expansion tank with both bleed screws removed until it started coming out of them. All seemed well but I began noticing signs of coolant on the left end of the rear sway bar then one day I was stuck in traffic and the temp went up to around 220. I discovered I had a bad cap so I replaced that and it's been good but after every drive I open the radiator bleed screw and air comes out. I've done this about 5 or 6 times now.

I've read that the system takes about 5 gallons and I can safely say that there is no way I have put 5 gallons in since I drained it. Maybe I'm up to 3 1/2 or 4 by now but not 5. So where the heck does this air pocket hide and has anyone found an easier way to purge it than to bleed it out of the radiator a dozen times. The manual says it should only take 3 bleeds and if it still has air take it to the Ferrari shop. Yea, right.

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Bleeding the cooling system ?
    I'm usually bleeding after changing the cooling hoses under the Plenum .. if that helps.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Have you done a pressure test on the system to verify there are no leaks?

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have bled the system in my 328 3 times in the 8 years I have owned the car - each time when I changed the coolant. It has never needed "re-bleeding" between coolant changes. I do it pretty much like the book says - frankly not any different than bleeding the cooling system on any car. As Thorn mentioned, do a pressure test on the system. If it's "generating" air, there's a leak.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I have had a similar situation with my 77 until I saw the post on the small radiator bleeder valve. As others have not seen a need for one I found it a simple fix that eliminated the bleed process that these cars seem to have. I did a coolant change (done with tee fitting under the car) and installed the little valve on the radiator. Filled the system which took 19 quarts and started it up . Let it run for a while and the system normalized . Never had a problem since.

obertRo likes this.
  6. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I seem to recall reading that one has to jack up the front of the car or something like that to get all the air out. In fact I remember doing that once.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    For a 308/328, you use a hand pump to fill it until it comes out of the bleed port, then you run it until no more air comes out. Close up and you are done.

I recently just bought this fill kit for my Porsche 997 and I have to tell you it makes this a bleed free refill. There are two operations, you use 90PSI air and the venturie effect to create a vacuum in the coolant system, then you use the vacuum to draw in the coolant. 10 minutes, you are done, no need to bleed. I am doing that from now on.

8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't have a pressure tester but I do have a vacuum bleeder so I used it to bring the pressure down to -10 in Hg and it's been sitting for an hour with no change. I think that's a valid leak test. I didn't want to use the vacuum bleeder because I wasn't sure what effect drawing 29 inches of vacuum would have on all of the connections and long hoses. I guess maybe it wouldn't be a problem.

9. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Hope all this advice cures the prob. If it doesn't, maybe you should rehash the basics, because it's easy to overlook something.
    Be sure you are getting the car up to proper temp and the thermostat is fully open. Turn on the heater, as the cores can have air also.
    Your car may have 2 bleeders, one on the thermo housing, and one on the radiator. (early cars had only the one on the radiator)
    So after bleeding, make sure the coolant tank doesn't get low, as this may introduce more air(don't remove the cap hot).
    The advise on lifting the front of the car may help also, although I never found it necessary.

Nuvolari and thorn like this.
  10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    It seems very common to find air in the radiator on an almost perpetual basis. My 328 does it, I know Rifledriver has commented that it happens a lot. People have addressed it with automatic bleeders but I have stopped worrying about it, the car runs at a constant temperature so it seems its not a problem if there is some air in there. When refilling the system I have tended to jack up the back of it & then bleed the radiator followed by the Thermostat. I did get an airlock in the heaters once & the only way to cure it was to remove the tub round the spare wheel well to get to the pipe connections at the heater cores at which point I undid one or two & let the air out there. Once I'd done that water started circulating through the cores properly.

Nuvolari likes this.
  11. FerrariMech1

FerrariMech1 Karting

Dec 14, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Back when I worked at a reputable Ferrari shop, common practice was to open up both bleed ports until nothing but coolant came out. Tighten them back up. Run the car until hot and open the radiator bleed screw until only coolant came out. Methods are different across the board on the "proper" way to do it, but this is only a refinement of the way many other shops do it and works 100% of the time... of course, after making sure you dont have leaks anywhere else :D

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    EXACTLY! With a non-leaking coolant system It's a one time operation until the next time you decide to change the coolant!

13. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Last time I replaced my coolant I used an Airlift tool. It was easy and worked great.

14. bonneaud

bonneaud Karting

May 3, 2004
    The air you get after a sweet ride from the "bleeding "port at the radiator is totally normal and is due to the re-distribution of the coolant throughout the engine-part of it being super hot and creating pressure/vaporisation (hence the gas escaping). i was concerned i might had a nasty leak.and kept venting after every ride...No need for that said my mechanic(Rock'restoration in Toronto).: there will always be pressurised gas coming out until the coolant cools down and everything return to liquid.
    Is stopped venting and enjoy the ride a new cap every 5-8 years is more important than the bleeding.
    Cheers

15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When I first got the car I didn't pay much attention to the cooling system because it seemed to work fine. It wasn't until I noticed the overheat due to a bad cap that I started looking at it and obsessively fussing with it. There seem to be a lot of varied opinions on the subject and over the past few weeks I've tried to figure it out. For me, and apparently others, if I open the radiator bleed screw after a drive there always seems to be air in there. I even went so far as to buy and install those automatic bleed screw/valve things but no difference, same result. I've done a leak test and a block test and both indicate no problems. I've also noticed that if I fill my tank to a level that is 6 cm below the top of the filler neck it will spit coolant out (even with the new cap) until it settles at a level that is 9 cm below the top of the neck at which point it stabilizes. I've also had no further overheat issues, I can let it idle all day and it will stay right at the 195 mark in the center of the gauge. So, for me at least, I'm done worrying about it. It is what it is.

16. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    My car is stock with the exception of auto-bleeders at both the radiator and t-stat housing. It runs a notch below 195 unning down the interstate, no matter the ambient temp. It never goes above 195 in traffic unless something is wrong. I backed her out yesterday and let her idle for around 30 minutes while I cleaned it (washed with water for the first time this year) and it just sat at 195. That should be the goal. Sounds like you are there so you should be good to go.

Below is a list of the normal suspects for overheating or coolant being expelled from the expansion tank in no particular order:

1. overfilled expansion tank
    2. air in the system from improper bleeding
    3. failing or incorrect expansion tank cap
    4. failed expansion tank....pin hole from rust
    5. missing radiator foam
    6. fan motors not operating at full speed due to tired brushes
    7. old fuse boxes not giving proper power to fan motors
    8. failing radiator mounted temp sensor
    9. failing or incorrect thermostat
    10. leaking peecock or other leaks within the system
    11. failing water pump
    12. failing water pump belt