News

Bleeding the air out of coolant on 456M (?)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Mirek, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Mirek

Mirek Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    J,Mirek
    I think I have an air pocket in my cooling system and the WSM I just bought is less than clear on removing the trapped air via the bleeder screw?

Do I open the bleeder valve when engine is cold to release any air trapped and then, start the car and keep open until the car is up to temp or do I close it and then reopen when the car is at temperature (which seems dangerous) ? It states to have the heater dial turned all the way up but does not say to start the engine (?)

Thanks for any help guys, I know this must be a simple task but I just do not know.
    Will I hear the air escape ?

F456M likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Jeff. This is not rocket science actually. Just fill the tank with the screw open till it pours out of the screw. Tighten the screw and then start up. Screw it out once in a while to let the air come out. It can take some time. The tank has several hoses connected to it. They will all have to be open and unblocked. You can take them off the engine is cold and try to blow and see that they are open (pressure come put of the other hoses). Especially the small one from under the plenum can block quite easily. Just let the engine run at idle with the heater on. When steady flow of water comes at the bleed screw you are done. Drive and get some revs and then bleed some more. That should do the trick. Dave here (Ferraridriver), made a «steam vent hose» which is basically a small hose from the bleed screw to the top of the expansion tank. It makes this process no more a process. It becomes self bleeding and just add coolant and it is done. I did it to my car and I really love it. All new cars are like that. No reason ours shouldn’t...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Mirek

Mirek Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    J,Mirek
    Thank you for taking the time to provide that direction F456M. Greatly appreciated and I get what you are saying.

Oddly, I just noticed some white “spray pattern” residue on both the underside of the hood above the air cleaners and directly below that covering both air-intake boxes. I just detailed the engine bay yesterday, what the heck ?

F456M likes this.
  5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That sounds a bit odd to me. I had the same white residue of coolant spray when my reservoire cap was not tight. Bought a new one and it never came back. Air expands a lot more so when the engine heats up while you have a lot of air in the coolant system, the pressure get excessiv and the overflow function in the cap can open and make things start to happen. Make sure it is a tight cap first.