blinker fluid question...PLEASE HELP! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

blinker fluid question...PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Robz328, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    This thread makes me so sad....to think someone has gone their whole life, achieved so much personally and financially, and never learned the value of a proper blinker fluid flush, rinse, replacement technique. It's a sad world we live in.

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Close.... but a bit more... ostentatious, yet fruity and subtle.

It does have a good nose, however...

Mike in Kuwait

3. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Hi y'all

I refer below to post #7 (above) re: the possibility of interference with the "aerial lift mechanism", et al ....

This is a common complaint in the 308/328 thread. Do a search if you dont believe me.

Please note that according to the owners handbook, and my Maranello trained auto audio technician confirms this; this interference only occurs with aftermarket 16" replica aerials mounted on the OEM aerial brackets using more modern rubber mountings. Correct use of the OEM 390 mm alloy aerials (with 1970's spec rubber mountings) should not cause any lack of audio performance, even under extreme track day / hard cornering conditions.

From personal use in my 308 QV (after I upgraded to a replica 16" alloy aerial); I have found during extreme track day events that I was losing radio signal in tight left hand bends. This can be irritating but I found a quick and inexpensive fix was to slow down immediately after the bend to allow the radio signals to change direction and re-connect to my aerial.

Just my 0.02 worth.

Regards

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I would suggest getting a set of ear plugs so you don't hear the screaming. Problem solved

5. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Steve,

Have you seen the PRICE of the OEM Ferrari ear plugs????

Jeez... my first car (1969 Pontiac Firebird) didn't cost that much!

I just can't justify that...especially with the additional cost of the annual ear plug service...

Mike in Kuwait

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    If you want to play you got to pay:D

7. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Yeah, but at the end of the day, is there REALLY a difference between a $50 hooker and a $1,000 hooker?

Just sayin'

Mike in Kuwait

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#58 dm_n_stuff, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    good point...

Mike in Kuwait

10. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I would pay $50.00 for the one on the right.

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Mikey paid $1000 for the one on the left and tipped her an extra $500:eek:

12. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    A simple trick i have found to extend disc pad life is to simply flip them around upon installation, so the pads face to the outside. Not only does this eliminate pad degradation considerably, but it also means after market undercar neon and led lights are no longer needed on our ferrari's as the light show is truly amazing........at least upon braking.

13. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    She looked completely serious when she told me the money was for your birthday present...

I mean, being family and all...

:D

Mike in Kuwait

14. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Now that's a cool idea...SPARKY LIGHTS (TM)!!!

15. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    What was the present...I know, Ferrari ear plugs, right?

BTW, the one on the right is my sister...she gives freebies for family...I provided a gracious $50 tip, though (she always wants shoes)...she has ceramic teeth, so watch out for the biting, brother;P

16. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I thought the smoke indicated your fliud level was low.

17. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Not really, if you have smoke associated with your blinker fluid problems, then you have a car fire...very bad.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You already said you would pay $50.00 for the one on the right and now you are saying she is your sister. I guess you really are from Georgia.

19. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #69 MBFerrari, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    My blinkers just exploded because I didn't do the three year blinker out "smoke fill" service on them.

20. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    You're screwed now. You will need to order a new wire loon which has refillable end fittings. The problem is finding a new can of OEM smoke. I understand that it has been discontinued and replaced with 431B smoke substitute. I recall that this circuit takes 2.3 giga lbs of smoke. Good luck.

21. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Great. It figures that they have stopped making the OEM smoke, and if anyone has a can of it they certainly don't want to part with it for less than $500, and that just seems unreasonable to me.

I think my best bet is to see if I can find a local shop that can capture the 2.3 giga lbs of smoke in a bottle, and then see if my local Ferrari mechanic can install it without damaging the flux capacitor in the process.

Thoughts?

22. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter

Roll the windows down and use hand signals, just be carful which finger you point with.

23. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Hey, it's fun here, dude!

The women are hot, too!

24. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I think you might be relegated to using hand signals. I hope you have a GTS...or, at least, a really big middle finger.

BTW, the flux capacitor has flux so it is easier to install smoke...this, of course, is for the early Ferraris (pre-1990, before the computing revolution at Maranello).

25. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #75 MBFerrari, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!!!

I just sourced an OEM bottle of Smoke and I found it for only $350. I couldn't believe it at first, but the little old lady who only drives her Ferrari on Sunday to the store at the end of the block said she would have sold it to me for less, but her late husband told her not to take any less than what I paid her for it.

Soooo, standby for updates, as I will let you know how the new smoke works in the blinkers. My only concern is the age of the smoke, as the lady who sold it to me was 114 years old and therefore has been on the Today show 14 times, but she has a magic beanstalk out back and she said the little bag of seeds she gave me should put the blinkers back together so I can install the smoke.

Magic Beans + Smoke + Blinkers = bliss.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login