Blinking Gear indicator | FerrariChat

Blinking Gear indicator

Discussion in '360/430' started by ICULUKN, Jul 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Highway Driving in 6th gear today in my 430 and I saw my gear indicator blink... Not rapid... but a slow methodical blink... It blinked 4-5 times and stopped and it only did it in 6th gear....

Ideas?

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

my experience said it could be a lot of things.
    even changing an TCU will solve the problem
    sometimes do a self-learn will solve the probelm
    sometimes it means there's a tiny leak on the valve body
    somtimes there's an actuator centering issue
    sometimes none of above, and i couldn't figure out why, just like you

3. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Had the same experience with my F430. The potentiometers failed a year later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    The flashes indicate the gears are not engaging properly. As suggested by @ideloera, the potentiometer is failing or has already failed. I would also get the actuator flushed and perform a self learn.

5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #5 Skippr1999, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    I had this on my 355. Researched some old posts by Dave Helms who said it can be just electrical grimlins. I’m getting a new clutch right now and hoping that is my issue. My Flywheel had not been properly resurfaced when the last clutch plate was installed, thus it wore very unevenly and had begun to slip.

How old is your clutch ?

6. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    I had exactly this on my F430, the gears need re-syncing, it is a simple process, but a dealership job if you want it done right, my car only took a 1 hr to reset, they run through a procedure with software, car was sorted and problem gone, over time the F1 shifters can slightly misalign, the blinking is a warning that it is not syncing properly, more use may skip a gear or simply not go in gear in the case of 1st and 6th. Nothing to worry about in my experience, nothing has broken, it is the car letting you know it needs a small resetting/adjustment on the gearbox, and protecting itself from ramming gears home when they may not mesh perfectly and causing much more trouble.

Mark T

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

KC360 FL likes this.