Blue Angels......... | FerrariChat

Blue Angels.........

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by max930, Aug 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    This weekend is my local airports airshow (Abbotsford), its a pretty big show. My short cut home from Costco takes me passed the airport. I was just in time to see the Canadian Snowbirds practice on the way too Costco and the Blue Angels on the way back. My iPhone camera is broken and I didn't have my regular camera, so no pics. I was going to get tickets for the show. But the VIP tents are sold out. I parked at a strip mall near the airport and got a good view of the Angels as they circled the airport. I'll go there tomorrow and see if I can get pictures.

2. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Oh also saw an A-10 landing just before the Snowbirds took off. The shows website is hard to get on to see the schedule. But the mall is the best place without tickets to see the show for photographs.

3. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The Blue Angels were in Seattle this past weekend for Sea Fair. I love watching them. Enjoy the show!

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Abbotsford has always been a good show. In the late '80s they tried to promote it as the American counterpart to Paris and Farnborough, but it never quite caught on that way. But it was the first place I ever saw a MiG-29 and an An-124, when the Soviet Union was still in existence. Then there was the Avro Vulcan, which for years was the unofficial symbol of Abbotsford.

5. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Yep, I was at the show with the Mig. They let a CDN F/18 pilot fly it. It was the first appearance of a Mig 29 in North America...…….

The Angels start at 4:30pm. So I'm going to set up at the strip mall for pictures around 3pm or 4pm. Its Friday, so don't expect the vacant lot next to the strip mall will be crowded.

6. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
  7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was also there at that show and somewhere I have a video tape that I shot of the AN124 doing a touch and go but the most enlightening performance was made by the Russian aerobatic Yak and (Su?). During the weekend of the Paine Field show we entertained the Russian crew that was commanded by Viktor Zabolotsky and they were a kick to be with but impressive in their intelligence and obvious resolve. My partner and I performed at the '66, '67, '68, '69, and '70 Abbotsford shows and saw some great equipment and met some great people, too.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Abbotsford Airshow, Centennial Year, 1967, IIRC.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Island Time, max930 and Streetsurfer like this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's as decrepit-looking an airshow aircraft as I've ever seen. I can imagine an airport owner saying "Get that piece of trash off my airfield!"

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That is exactly what the Air Show Program said in announcing our act. " Get that junk off the field!" As the "Crazy Clowns" we had a ball up there for four years and even the great Art Scholl told us that we were nuts. Bob Hoover said the same.

Island Time and Streetsurfer like this.
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If Art Scholl and Bob Hoover said you were nuts, you most certainly were! :D

12. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    i take my boat out every year to watch the blue angels here in seattle. tough to get decent pictures with my little canon , but here is one with mt. rainier in background. Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I borrowed my Dads Cannon Camera yesterday. He forgot to put the chip back in and it wasn't in the bag. So I'm going back to my spot today for some pictures. During the show they all pass the mall more then a dozen times. I think its a better view over being at the show itself for pictures.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    A great shot with Mt. Seattle in the background.

Island Time likes this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Nice shot! Rainier often isn't that visible this time of year because of haze caused by evaporation of glacial snow.

16. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  17. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    good pictures - you're right - they move so fast it's a matter of luck to get them ! looks cloudy today.

18. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Boomhauer and Gatorrari like this.
  19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    A 1956 version in plywood that I built for my little guys.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Yep, it was overcast. Made pictures more complicated. That and trying to time when they flew overhead was complex. One of the solo guys fly right over my head. Didn't see him until he lit the after burner and was long passed. It started raining, so I didn't bother waiting for the Snowbirds. Might go there again tomorrow.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Those are certainly very "fifties"!

22. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Those pedal cars are cool...…..

Its raining today. Not sure if I'm going up there again today. If you have a chance to see them live, its highly recommended.

23. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    too bad with your weather - seems to never fail , weather is great for weeks leading up to an event and then it rains ! "THE GREAT NORTHWEST "

24. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    thats a cool dad who builds something like the plane for your kids !

25. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    If you mean me, thanks. My kids and all their neighborhood buddies had a blast with that Thunderbird. They literally ran it into the ground.