Blue Dino at Cooper Classics | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Blue Dino at Cooper Classics

Discussion in '206/246' started by JTranfield, Oct 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #126 abstamaria, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I wouldn't clean those safety belt labels AT ALL, anything you use will lighten the label printing.

Just also know that the belts are "expired" due to age!
    :D :D :D

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    That's a Tubi, Mark.

Yes, I won't clean them, BigTex. Thanks!

Andres

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #130 abstamaria, Dec 5, 2014
    A photographer came by the other month to photograph the Dino for a local car magazine. He took a photo from this interesting angle. I was going to paint the rolling jack red, but I realise now it goes with the Dino. (Photo by Jerel Fajardo)

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. sixtiestoyguy

sixtiestoyguy Rookie

Sep 11, 2006
    Andy (et al)-
    I know it took FOREVER, but I finally found these photos of my/your 04866, taken in 1980, right after I purchased the car from the original owner. These pictures were taken as 35mm slides from which I had prints made by Kodak. Now those prints have been scanned in 600dpi. The prints were a bit aged after 35 years, so for the most part that has been corrected digitally. I am sure the scanned images are too large to post in a thread, so I attached a link to a photo hosting site. Somewhere I have the original slides, along with about a hundred more, but they are mixed up with all the old family shots.

However I did come across one other slide packed with the photos, a picture of the car parked alongside a nearly identical Dino, but with Chromodoras, taken at the Ferrari Owners' Club track day at Lime Rock Park, 1980. No, relax, I didn't track the car, although I did take the Skip Barber Competition class there a bit later.

Look how the original paint was slightly different from the repaint performed well after I sold the car. On the surfaces in direct sun it was a brilliant, electric blue. Those surfaces hit obliquely by the sun actually appeared purple(!) and those in shade went very deep blue, almost black. I have yet to see a repainted Med. Bleu Dino Metallizzato with these exact same visual properties. By the way, when I sold the car a can of factory original paint went with the car, but I am sure that is long gone. Evidently, I took these shots before my custom vanity plate was put on the car. Note that the gold stickers are still on the Campagnolos, as they were when I sold the car.

Anything else I can add, just ask! I am attempting to find someone that can digitally scan a group of other old slides for me and when I find that person I will post the shot of the side-by-side mentioned above. Glad to see the car is still in great shape!

Photo 2 of 3, Uploads
    Photo 1 of 3, Uploads

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #132 abstamaria, Feb 14, 2015
    What a surprise and such a great pleasure to find your post, Warren. It is really great to see those old photos of #4866. Those were taken where? I keep a journal and will keep the photos there. I have already shown them to Felice, who was quite happy to see them. Your car is a cherished member of the family.

I have uploaded your two photos here, to make it easier for the others to see them.

For the journal, what was the vanity plate number number on the car?

Naturally, I would be very happy to see more photos, including the one in Lime Rock. It is quite a coincidence that I took the Skip Barber course there, too, in Formula Fords in 1994.

It has been almost nine years since we’ve communicated, and I appreciate the fact that your two posts on FerrariChat have been on the car. Even then you were raving about the original color. I wish I had seen it. It may still be beneath the respray.

I hope you are keeping well, and best regards,

Andy

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    great picture!

9. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    lovely....
    do you remember the name of the first owner?
    how long did you own the Dino?

10. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#135 dinogts, Feb 19, 2015
    I was looking at a Scaglietti paint sample fan from the era last week at Dennison International (who are doing my paint-outs and matches), and found Bleu Dino Metallizzato 106-A-72, but not a Med. Bleu Dino Metallizzato. Are they the same color?

Interestingly, the one part of my Bleu Dino Metallizzato Dino that looks closest to the "electric" blue paint (the horizontal photo) is in an area on the rear panel that had apparently been covered at one point by a N.A.R.T. badge (my Dino was imported and sold by Chinetti), and also shifts slightly purple blue at certain angles, especially in full sun.

Oddly, my Dino has a very very slight green depth shift to it, but exactly matched another Dino (with Hawaii plates) that I parked directly behind on the street in Carmel during the Pebble Beach/Monterey Historics week a few years ago. It also appears to match Andy's Dino too.

I posted two photos of the Scaglietti paint sample elsewhere in OMGJon's thread about Shawn's Change of Heart Dino, which I have re-posted here. As I wrote in the other thread, the paint sample has an extremely fine metal flake in it, much finer than most paints I have seen in the U.S.

Darren at Dennison said that there was often some color variation (usually small) during production due to a variety of factors such as unintended/unnoticed slight variations in the paint mixes, underlying prep issues, heat/humidity differences from one painting day to the next, etc., that would cause (even with absolutely identical mixes) to reflect light differently.

I thought maybe clearcoat aging might account for the differences, but looking at the sample paint-outs of Bleu Dino Metallizzato 106-A-72 that I have seen, now I am not so sure. In fact, I am not sure that we can say with certainty what ANY color always looked like coming out of the factory.

11. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#136 dinogts, Feb 19, 2015
  12. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#137 dinogts, Feb 19, 2015
    Here's some more photos, the first two are from Andy's posts #46 and 48 in this thread. The 3/4 shot from the rear shows a green shift pretty much all over, and especially in the sail panels. The overhead shot shows virtually no green shift.

The bottom photos are of my Dino. The photo from the top of the garage shows a green shift in the sail panels (that is one of synchro's Dino's across the street), as does the photo taken in the vineyard, but the photo taken from the rear 3/4 at Exotics at Redmond Town Center doesn't show a green shift.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #138 synchro, Feb 19, 2015
  14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This is the EXACT situation I didn't expect to deal with whe it came to a large paint spray out.

In a small paint sample set, it isn't noticble, but when you make it a large paint piece and bend it in different light and shade, it is CRAZY how much it changes!!!!

Pretty cool color!

15. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#140 dinogts, Feb 20, 2015
    Additional photos of Bleu Dino Metallizzato ("BDM) Dinos - and a correction. The other BDM Dino that I parked with in front of the Cypress Inn in Carmel in August 2010 was a GTS with an Illinois plate and not Hawaii, although the owner has a home in Hawaii. The serial number on the GTS is 03890. Several people came up to me startled to see two blue Dinos together.

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #141 abstamaria, Feb 21, 2015
    I took the Dino out for a spin this Sunday morning, not having driven it for a while. I had been putting kilometers into the new car, wanting to get it past its break-in threshold. What a pleasure the Dino is! I love the small cockpit, the sound of the exhaust, and the directness of the controls. One must drive a new car to treasure what we have.

After I got home and the gate closed, I jumped out and took this phone photo. The sun is bright – summer is around the corner – but the Dino was in the shade. No trace of green here.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Beautiful. They don't make em like that anymore.

18. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #143 abstamaria, Feb 23, 2015
  19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #144 abstamaria, Mar 13, 2015
    As I may have mentioned before, I keep a journal for the Dino, as I have been doing for the few cars I’ve had these several decades. I took these phone photos to show you. The contributions of sixtiestoyguy form an important part of the journal, so I welcome and treasure his posts and messages.

(By the way, I made that cover before I discovered the car was actually manufactured in 1973, manufactirer’s plate notwithstanding.)

Andy

20. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #145 abstamaria, Mar 13, 2015
    The California jack tool kit I bought off eBay to use as a carry-on for the Dino comes with a scissors jack. That and the fabulous leather case were the drivers for me.

But let me show you the 22mm socket that came with the kit. It seems brand new and unused. When I fit it on a lug bolt, it twists more than usual before it engages the bolt. That is probably due to the very different design, seen in the photo below. I assume it is intended to engage the flats of the bolt, as with Snap-On’s “flank-drive” sockets, but the design is quite radical. I have to trust ferrari’s judgment here and hope it works!

Andy

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I stole the jack kit out of an old Toyota I owned before I traded it in.
    Nobody noticed.

Now there is a first, the jack being held back from a car to go INTO the Dino - LOL

22. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Andres, where can I get this magazine?

23. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It's a local magazine, Matthias. Let me see if I can find another copy.

Andy

24. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I would take two if possible, happy to pay for the magazines and shipping....

25. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #150 abstamaria, Mar 13, 2015
    Yes, quite funny actually, Scott. Don't tell the 348 and Califoirnia guys I put their tool and jack kits in a Dino. They're much cheaper than the Dino set, but so visually appealing.

Andy