Blue Dino at Cooper Classics | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Blue Dino at Cooper Classics

Discussion in '206/246' started by JTranfield, Oct 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It's the February issue, Matthias, and so is almost off the shelves now. But we found one copy at the local bookstore. PM your mailing address to me, Matthias.

Best regards,

Andy

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #152 abstamaria, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unfortunately, the local authorities have announced that they will apprehend vehicles without license plates. This may be the last photo of my car without one. I installed the plate bracket after this photo was taken.

I wonder whether all Dinos were delivered with the front license plate brackets installed? Or were the holes at least pre-drilled?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Andy, I bought my first (and now only!) Dino when it was two years old, from the original owner, and it came with what looked like a bracket for the then-current small front Italian plate! No holes were drilled, and I'm approaching 39 years with no front plate on display! Regards, Fred

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I wish I could do that, Fred. My car's plate bracket was in the boot. l had lo drill two holes. Quite painful!

Andy

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #155 abstamaria, Apr 2, 2015
    I decided to paint the bracket flat black, using a spray-can enamel, which turned out quite good. It was painful drilling holes in the Dino. Ancient metal.

Andy

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #156 abstamaria, Apr 2, 2015
    As with the rear plate, I used these rubber nuts to install the front plate bracket. I forget what they’re called, but the rear section is pulled against the panel as one tightens the mounting screw, like a rivet.

7. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Andy, It must have been very traumatic to drill the front valence, but you did a very surgical job of it! Regards, Fred

8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Fred. Happy Easter to all.

Andy

9. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Andy,
    We have the same problem here with front plates, they ignored missing front plates for years but it seems times changed.
    I really don't want to drill, there is an temporary plate called "plateclip" which look ok and attach to the grill but they are currently not being made. I contacted and tried to order a few times.
    I bought Rob and Pauls magnetic rear plate which is great but the compound curves on the front doesn't really lend itself to a magnetic solution.
    Maybe I'll have to take a deep breath and drill.... I understand your pain!

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #160 abstamaria, Apr 4, 2015
    Yes, Andrew, you need to take a deep breath. I comfort myself by saying the bracket itself doesn’t look bad and makes the car look like it were sitting new on a showroom floor. And at least I don’t have an original part sitting in storage. Still, I wish I didn’t have to do it.

Andy

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #161 abstamaria, May 23, 2015
    This is just to record the new Heuer Rallymaster set I just installed in the Dino. Not original, but I think it goes very well in the Dino. I would have preferred a period set, but good ones are so difficult to come by. These re-issues (they call them "re-editions") look authentic, though, and I am quite happy with these Heuers (no “Tag” on the dials, just “Heuer). Now I have a clock that works in the Dino.

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #162 abstamaria, Jan 7, 2016
    My Dino was delivered to my home on January 3, 2006, which was when I first saw it outside of photographs. Ten years then since it first sat in my garage! I remind myself constantly that I have been blessed and truly lucky.

A Happy New Year to all.

Andres

13. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Happy New Year, and Happy Dino Anniversary, Andres! I will be celebrating my 40th with 04808 this coming May. How time flies! Best regards, Fred p.s.: I love the garage photos, and the lovely T-series MG! f

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This thread has always kept me smiling....

I can so very clearly remember a long car drive talking to Elliot about this car before it was sold. We spoke for a long time about all kinds of stuff.

You can see my early posts, but always knew this was a cool Dino.

I am glad it found a great home.

What is scary, is it doesn't seem like that was that long ago.....

Shawn

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Many thanks, Fred. You are four times more blessed than me. Four decades to enjoy #04808. Congratulations!

Best personal regards,

Andres

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #166 abstamaria, Jan 9, 2016
    I never met Elliott Cooper in person, Shawn, but corresponded and spoke with him a great deal. He is quite an interesting man. I had just returned from New York when I discovered his advertisement for the Dino on the Web. I didn’t want to fly back to New York, so asked a friend who happened to be in Reno to visit Elliott and inspect the car. Elliott didn’t expect a woman, but my friend is quite a car person and, having worked in our concours, very competent. Elliott was quite impressed with her and drove her to the airport in a Rolls. She snapped this photo.

Best,
    '
    Andres

17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  18. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  19. sixtiestoyguy

sixtiestoyguy Rookie

Sep 11, 2006
    I'm back! Andy, here is an old photo I found of my wife in 04866, taken by my Dad using a Polaroid (hence the poor resolution). The vanity plate I got for the car was "FRARRI", the closest I could get to the real spelling in this early age of Connecticut vanity plates with limited number of letters allowed. A side note when discussing the paint on the car, remember that it was resprayed by Cooper. The photos they posted don't show the color shifting qualities observed in the factory paint. To answer a question asked earlier, yes, I know and remember the name of the individual that sold me the car, but for the sake of privacy I won't state that publicly. That original owner said he had the dealer, Algar, put on the Campi's, before the sale completed and he took possession of the car. Image Unavailable, Please Login When I first saw the Dino it was garaged at his house on Long Island, alongside his 1800 mile 365GTB (red, of course). He showed me photos which he claimed were some of his other cars, including a 427 Cobra and a Ford GT Mk4!

20. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Wow, sixtiestoycar! What a joy it was for me to see that photo. I keep a journal for the Dino, so your story and the photo will go in there (as did your email to me a long time ago). I will share this with the local sports car guys.

Do you recall the approximate date when the photo was taken? It is quite a thrill to realise those are the same Campys, mirror, and so on in my garage now.

Best personal regards,

Andy

21. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    lovely stuff....

22. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I reviewed 4866's history, Craig, and figure that the photo must have been taken by your dad probably in the early 1980s, perhaps shortly after you bought the car in April 1980. It is such a treat to see that photo.

With good wishes,

Andy

23. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I keep a journal for each sports car I've had since 1977. In early days, the journals were handwritten, with drawings here and there. They had a certain charm and illustrated how my penmanship changed over the years. By the time #4866 came into my garage, computers allowed me to become more ambitious with layouts and photos, so #4866's journal has been fully digitally prepared.

24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I record service and repairs, parts bought and replaced, drives, any issues that need to be addressed, and so on. But I sometimes also note events that affect my perspective on the car; those incidental, personal notes may mean the journal should probably not go with car, I suppose. But the journals, which I keep with the manuals of the cars in the garage, are a pleasure to take out and read once in a while, as they go back so many years.

25. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    It must be wonderful to have such a write up on your endeavors with the car. I wish I had the back bone to do the same, but i find it hard to find the time for such a time-consuming job. I also find it quite exiting to read through some of my old Fchat stories now and then, mostly because it is all over and done and that I can enjoy the car fully knowing that I have touched every bolt and nuts in the car.

Best

Peter

Nuvolari likes this.