Blue Jeans recommendations sought | FerrariChat

Blue Jeans recommendations sought

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by kevfla, Dec 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Having lost about 30 pounds this year, I've decided to take some Christmas money and buy a pair of jeans dressy enough to wear with sport coats. Went from a 38-waist to a 36.
    My old 36" jeans are too worn-out, just good to wear working on the cars. My newer 38s are now too big.

After noticing ads for their semi-annual menswear sale, I went to Nordstroms this morning and was disappointed: Brands like Tommy Bahama looked too cheaply made. Higher-quality appearing brands (something & something, names I forgot) were marked down to $175 but had "distressed" finishes. If I looked like Russell Brand, that type of jeans would be fine. But I don't. I'm looking for a brand that is more age-specific (50-something) and doesn't have a fading rock 'n roller or hip-hop thug-look. I'm 6', 200 lbs and have a 32-inch inseam. Not much of a "trunk" but not a flat, runners a**.

Any brands I should look for? Thanks in advance!

KevFla

2. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    nordstrom rack is great if you have one in florida. Try 7 for all man kind, they fit well and can be worn by all ages. If you can get Rock and republics without any crazy design on the pockets those you can swing.

3. .:bigred12

.:bigred12 Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Clarence/Ithaca, NY
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Levis 501 are always cheap and always classy. I have a pair.

J Brand jeans are great.

PPD Paige Premium Denim is great.

Not a fan of joe's (ripped too easily) and 7's, they stretch and fit completely different after you wash them. I hate 7's, terrible.

4. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I appreciate it!

There's a local Nordstrom's Rack that I'll check out.

Does anyone have experience or feelings towards Hilt and/or Gregior (sp?) brands?

Thanks!!

KevFla

5. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Sevens are great. I'm into trendy things but prefer a more conservative pair of jeans. I don't like the ripped and hole-y look.

Try them out. :)

6. kali

kali Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Elle
  7. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    I would recommend the Zegna jeans. I had the "normal" looking ones (straight cut?), no holes or rips and definitely no intentional fade.

They were exceptionally comfortable and could be worn with a sport jacket, golf shirt, etc. I'm not a jeans guy at all but would get another pair in a heartbeat.

8. dream34

dream34 Karting

May 31, 2005
    New Orleans, La.
    This....I have 4 pair and they hold up great. I saw the other day that Brooks Brothers carries an exclusive line of 501's that are "Made in the USA". I have no idea if they are better in terms of quality, fit, or finish. They retail for just over $100 and can be found at their website. So far as the Rock and Republic/True Religion type of stuff it just has no appeal to me as it is far too trendy (and I think tacky), never owned a pair, never will.

9. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I've been happy with the "Lucky" brand and find them at Nordstrom, and as someone else stated, the "Nordstrom Rack" stores are a great place to save a few bucks. With any brand/model, once you know what fits, then look on Ebay, especially when rebuilding a wardrobe.

10. Steve Miklos

Steve Miklos Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    The Etro outlet in Orlando has good buys. Etro is great quality
    Steve

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Gap.

Or Lucky.

12. Kayvan

Kayvan Karting
    BANNED

Mar 29, 2009
    Citizens for Humanity are like $185 at Bloomingdales

I went thru 15 brands, and the color of these is more navy not indigo / denimof Diesel, etc.

Pockets are blank; thread is navy too.

They are not usual skinny-leg or low-rise...which make u look like a punk-skater.

They tailor hem for $15 with rolled edge.

13. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Another for Levi 501.

You can get the Tidal Blue from Lord and Taylor for $38, and they are nice business casual jeans. True classics.

-dsd

14. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I won't buy Levi's, they always tear in the crotch or they rip near the edges of the back pockets. Also, they are big supporters of so-called 'gun control' so if you have any sort of strong opinion on that, it is something to remember.

Believe it or not, I have had great luck with Carhartt "traditional fit" jeans. They wear very well and look very nice too. To keep them really looking good, spray starch and iron them.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

15. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    7's are past their prime. Forget those...

I like Joe's, and Citizens. There might be some other newer brands, but I too am past my prime ;) :D

16. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    I like 7's and have a pair of Parasuco's that I really like although they are a little to snug in the crotch and thus can only be worn in places that are dark enough where I can get away with, ahem, adjusting things from time to time.

17. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

PRPS enough said

18. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    I really enjoy Hudson, Joes, and citzens. Joes makes some nice darker washes that work well for dressing up and down and just look really classy.

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    What he said. Diesel jeans are nice too.

7 aren't even at Costco anymore. They're done!

20. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    I like Evisu and True Religion.

21. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    Nudie or bust. Dry til you die!

22. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    im a fan of AG jeans. specifically the hero cut

23. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Cinch- a good selection of styles and colors of blue. I must have six or seven pairs, they don't seem to ware out.

24. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Buy Joe Jeans Classic fit.

I too have a tough time finding jeans to fit. I'm a big guy (not fat, workout, and naturally larger frame). Joe's look and feel amazing and are the only jeans other than levi's that I can get my large butt into comfortably. They almost drape like a nice pair of dress slacks, and are soooo much nicer feeling than traditional jeans. Highly recommended.

25. BAKY

BAKY Formula 3

May 23, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bobby
    +1 Me too!