blue vinyl seats | FerrariChat

blue vinyl seats

Discussion in '206/246' started by GermanDino, Jan 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Has anybody original blue vinyl seats still fitted to his Dino and can post a picture?
    Blue vinyl was not so rare in 1972 in the UK.
    Regards Matthias

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Matthias, this GTS may be of interest. It is coming up for auction at the Silverstone Classic on Saturday 1st August '20. I think it is 06242 but can't be certain. My records show 06242 being delivered new in Azzuro Met 106-A-32 with Blu 135 skai vinyl interior which ties in with the auction description. The car was repainted into Argento Auteil by the current owner some 20 years ago but the car retains it's very rare original blue vinyl interior. The auctioneers haven't taken any good photo's of the interior but you can see it in the short video they have made. The interior looks to be highly original judging by the seats, door cards, mousehair dash and radio blanking cover.

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/events/2020-auctions/the-silverstone-classic-live-online-auction-2020/the-silverstone-classic-live-online-auction-2020/saturday-1st-august-sale-11am-bst/1973-ferrari-dino-246-gts

BigTex, GermanDino and synchro like this.
  3. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    lovely.... my records say Azzurro Dino 20-A-349 with blu 135

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
  5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
  6. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Matthias, I just noticed that you replied at exactly 2:46 !

On purpose ?

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    no, coincidence.... or not :)

8. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    Seeing these blues seats reminded me that when I stripped my seats during my restoration I was surprised to see that one of my seats started out with a blue leather cover and had been dyed black.

I bought my Dino when it was one year old from the first owner so I know that this is one of those "Factory make-do" moves. The first owner had arranged with Algar to pick his Dino up at the factory in order to tour Europe and to attend the F1 race in Monaco.

He had ordered it Silver with a black interior-- but when he got to the factory the workers were on strike. Not sure for how long they had been on strike before he got there. Management told him to pick a Dino GT out of the row of finished ones in the lot by the factory.

I can only assume that management wanted as many completed Dinos as they could get the workers to finish before their strike and dying a blue seat black in order to have another finished Dino makes as good of a story as any other I can think of.