"Bluebird" flies again (the boat) | FerrariChat

"Bluebird" flies again (the boat)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by swift53, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am well aware that this does not pertain to Vintage, yet it is heart rendering for me, and for all of us, that we used to play with Malcolm and Donald Campbell's, Dinky and Corgi toys of their wonderfully insane, mad if you want, quest for speed.

We all wished to be them :)

If you are a romantic like me, please watch and enjoy:

Regards, Alberto

Pranucci, boxerman, NürScud and 7 others like this.
  2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Wow. That was fantastic.Thanks for sharing it Alberto.

NürScud likes this.
  3. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MODS, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THIS FROM THE VINTAGE SECTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alberto, Thank you so very much for this post. It was wonderful to see the dedicated people who
    restored her, and to see her planing at a fairly high speed

I have a copy of the book "The Bluebird Years: Donald Campbell and the pursuit of Speed" by Arthur Knowles
    which I have read carefully.

I rummaged around the web and finally found a site that said that this recent high-speed test of the
    restored boat was 150 MPH.

Again, Albert: thank you so very much for the post.

Again MODS Please Leave the post in this section. I it were to be placed in another section,
    please leave a copy this original post here.

Lowell

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Lovell, I thank you on behalf of all of us, that are such consummated petrol/motor/anything that moves, heads.

I would really love to see this short documentary remain on F-chat as a posthumous remembrance to the Campbells.

It pleases me that this very complex situation, was solved by bringing back a fantastic piece of history, that otherwise

would have remained buried forever.

This, is another interesting bit of very

Regards, Alberto

5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  6. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Thanks you Giotto. Terribly sad, but very moving and the final part very respectful.

NürScud likes this.
  7. cheesey2

cheesey2 Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ivars Blumenau
    Don Campbell made an excursion to the finger lakes region in New York state, Canandaigua Lake, in search of his record run. It was an unsuccessful attempt, that ended with the boat getting airborne and being destroyed He hit a small wake left by some fisherman who had his head where it don't shine and missed by the police securing the area. Saw it in real time from the porch of our house. It was an event that lasted for a few weeks while making preparations, test runs and waiting for ideal conditions. Too bad we didn't have video and U-tube back in the day

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Awsome post!!

NürScud likes this.