BMW 7 E38 - good idea? | Page 16 | FerrariChat

BMW 7 E38 - good idea?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Far Out, May 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Just swap a 3.38 rear end….it really livens up the car along with the Euro rear bar

2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    already did that last time

3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Hmm
    One of my long term goals is to put a DCT now that you can get independent controllers for the OEM unit from the new BMWs, I think that will also really liven up the car.
    Do you have a V8 or 12? The V8 also has the option for forced induction with good room in the engine bay

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That takes away from the relaxed highway cruising, though. Given the nature of the car, I'd rather cruise along with reasonable revs at 100 than be a few seconds quicker off the line from a stoplight.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    well...seems like the timing belt guides just went.

Seriously bad timing with my raptor still about a month away from being registered to use...ffs.

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What happened? Have you been changing the belt regularly? Do you change the guides as a part of a belt change?

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Started it up this morning...strange rattle sound. Was hoping for vanos rattle first but seems ik not that lucky. Mechanic can likely only look on Monday at earliest.

Didn't drive it further.

Timing chain and guides haven't been changed yet, about 105k Miles on it

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    a bit more on this, car is at the mechanic now. When he was at my house earlier, he revved it and I noticed the ticking noise stayed at the same frequency. Spark plugs where checked but unfortuantely it wasn't as simple as that. He just said he suspects oil pump (chain?). If it was the timing chain guides surely the frequency would increase?

9. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Guides need replacement every 50-60k on the V12s; I never changed a guide on a M62 V8 despite 100k+ miles across 2 cars…..that’s peculiar. Sorry this happened. Fingers crossed can just swap in a replacement while parts cost is cheap(er)

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    well I finally got it back today.

Had a few other things changes. Water pump, vanos issue addressed, gaskets, hoses checked and those that became a bit hard or showed signs of cracking all done and finished. Wasn't cheap but engine runs like a dream.

Auraraptor and TestShoot like this.
  11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I just did a 500 mile drive in my e38 740, and I have to say that it is a great car. Lots of cruising from 90-120, smooth, silent, easily carried four people and luggage. I'm really impressed with it.

TestShoot and Auraraptor like this.
  12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I am waiting to find another like mine. Steel Blue Metallic sport. It's one of three cars I have owned I wish I could get again, alongside my 3.0CSi and p1800s

Auraraptor likes this.