BMW 7 E38 - good idea? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

BMW 7 E38 - good idea?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Far Out, May 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Nice! Those are hard to come by as well. Please post pics. That's my favorite E38 year and model down to the color (excluding the E38 Alpinas which I consider different cars).

2. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I did, AC compressor quit due to low oil two weeks ago, was luckily able to refill and recharge and still good.

Then last week, windshield wiper linkage broke leaving passenger wiper inoperable. Part is on its way. It never ends! :)

And to top it off my check coolant light refuses to stop coming on despite having the all new aluminum radiator, new expansion tank, new pipe, etc.

I think it just must not like my radiator or there is a leak somewhere. ALthough the compression tests say no leaks! LOL

4. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Sorry, I don't know how to embed photos on Fchat,
    but here's a link to a few photos I took after washing it the other day: https://miatawoman.smugmug.com/750iL/i-tCKM7RT/A

5. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    damn, never heard of a wiper linkage breaking.. that sucks about the coolant light. If there's no leak it would have to be the sensor, right?

Wow that looks awesome Julia!! Nothing looks better than a freshly washed black car. Until it gets dirty :p

Best of luck with it, post up any maintenance/upgrades you do here I'd be curious how the V12 treats you.

6. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks, I will. Good thing I can type pretty fast. ;) (It needs some sorting.)

7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Looks like a nice car!

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    That looks to be in great condition! Thanks for posting.

9. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Are S62 swaps really worth it? It would seem that the engine would be better suited in the smaller, more agile E39 anyway...

I guess if you're in love with the E38 or you want a fast limo it's a good idea, but otherwise I don't see any sense behind it

10. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    E39 isn't much smaller or lighter than a 740 shorty.

Honestly, I'd say the manual is the best part of the conversion. A supercharger on the M62 will give you the same hp as an S62 swap, for a third of the cost.

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Crank case ventilation valve just went last weekend. Loud whistling noise when idle. Fixing it shortly. It never ends! Aghhhhh

12. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    ^Mine's been at the shop for almost two weeks. A/C wasn't performing as it should and was making an intermittent terrible noise that sounded somewhat like running over a rumble strip on the highway, and there was hot air coming from the lower and windshield vents that couldn't be turned off. In addition, they found leaky power steering hoses and a possible coolant leak.

I miss it.

13. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Yeah pretty much any time you buy one of these you will be putting 2k into it right off the bat. It's to be expected. Your ac compressor is probably good, just low on oil. Have them recharge and fill the oil. If the coolant leak is from the radiator, replace it with an aluminum one otherwise it will leak again.

14. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Changed the 5000 mile old oil in my 740i tonight.
    Going to send a sample to Blackstone labs for analysis out of curiosity.
    She's up to 138k miles now. Hearing a little clunking from the front suspension occasionally but not bad.
    ACs been working great in the 100F temps.
    Last week the CD changer sent a "no magazine" message to the dash, still ejects the mag just no music from it. Bummer as I've really been enjoying the new Monsoon speakers in the rear deck.
    Just need her to keep on chugging for another 6-8 months until my Tesla 3 is ready then the plan is to sell her for $5k or so.

I don't really get the S62 swap in a 4100lb car, but then again my commute doesn't have many opportunity to enjoy running through the gears. The 5-sp manual is perfect and she's got plenty of power for me stock.

15. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Struts are probably bad. If they're OEM then they definitely are.

I've never had the no magazine error. Just the cd error every now and then. Maybe your magazine is broken or bad

16. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #141 ibesuc, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anyone know what kind of wheels these are? A modern iteration of the E38 M wheels, really nice...

And rather have this exact E38 manual transmission, dyed tan leather and all, but with an M73 V12... (choose your power source: McLaren F1 or E39 M5 ... hmmm... )

Everything else about the car below is beautiful though, have not seen a nicer E38.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  18. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    They called today and said the coolant leak was found to be a cracked overflow reservoir. I should get the car back tomorrow.

They said the A/C was OVERcharged, and that's why it wasn't working right. I don't know, I guess I'll try it and see.

19. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#144 Bradwilliams, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Yeah I had my ac serviced a month ago and they said the same thing. Pretty sure it just means that it hasn't been recharged in along time. The pressure apparently builds up in there big time and the freeon expands? Overflow reservoir is more of the same plastic garbage used by BMW. Unfortunately there isn't an aftermarket upgrade that I know of. Those things are very brittle and break often. I changed mine out preemptively to an aftermarket one. They're pretty cheap and easy to replace.

20. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  21. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

22. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Brad, what aftermarket expansion tank did you use? What makes you think it will last longer than the BMW one? (AFAIK, the one in my car was the original, though I don't have complete records.)

23. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  24. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    haha cool
    it's a cheap little part but I must say whenever I pop the hood and happen to see it there I feel nice, and with it bleeding the coolant system is at least 60% more enjoyable :)

25. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

All the ones that I could find were similar plastic junk but have to be better than the OEM. I think I paid about 60 dollars for it. I'll have to find the record. The problem is the dipstick leveller thing cracks and erodes over time, quits working.