BMW 7 E38 - good idea? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

BMW 7 E38 - good idea?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Far Out, May 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My '01 Sport is in the shop now for a front passenger window regulator and worn ball joint, then will be up for sale. Thinking Bring a Trailer. I'd like it to go to an enthusiast, not some yahoo.

2. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Moving on eh? How long have you had yours, and what's your mileage?

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Four years, 102k miles.

4. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#154 Bradwilliams, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Damn that's low. 6300 miles a year!

I'm kind of getting the itch to let mine go after year four or five but I think I'm going to brave the storm and go for broke instead. Nobody is going to pay me what that thing is worth. And it's the crown jewel of the E38. I'd like to go Arnage, but it would be just sitting outside in the driveway rotting. A creampuff first gen LS400 sounds good after dealing with this thing's whiney tempermant! :)

At the end of the day I think the style is what keeps me put. It just looks too good. It drives wonderful too, but the style just keeps getting better as time passes.

5. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I went and visited mine today at the shop. They swear it'll be done tomorrow. I hope so.

I saw an Arnage at a car show last year - that interior looks so sweet, but I really can't say I like the exterior styling the way I do the E38 styling.

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yep, it's time. I've enjoyed the car immensely and I feel it really is a great expression of the Ultimate Driving Machine. It's a great looking and fantastically driving car but my needs and wants have changed.

7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

What are you moving on to? Please dont say minivan! Lol

8. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Got my car back Friday, and have driven it a few hours since then. The AC hasn't made the noise, and it has performed flawlessly, so that part is fixed.

Next on my list is a suspension rebuild. I notice there are kits on offer with everything needed. Any advice on which of those I should choose? Are some more complete / better quality than others?

Thanks.

9. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    If you're planning on keeping the car, spend the few extra bucks on Lemforder (OEM spec) parts vs Meyle, Karlyn, Febi, etc.

front:
    https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-8-Piece-Front-End-Kit-OEM-p/31121142087kitoem.htm

rear rebuild is tougher because the "integral links" need to be pressed out of the hub. There is a guy that will rent you the $300+ BMW tool set for $50, well worth it if doing yourself.
    I rented it from him for my E39 rear end rebuild 3 years ago.

https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-8-Piece-Rear-End-Kit-OEM-p/33326770059-60kitoem.htm

I've only done the front on my 140k mile E38 and it made a HUGE difference.

10. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    what did your shop charge for a new window regulator? Front or rear?

I've done one on my 740 so far but if the price is right could pay someone to do the next one that goes.

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#161 Bradwilliams, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did both front struts when I bought the car along with motor mounts and did tranny service. Went with bilstein and bought them from Turner motorsports. DO NOT put OEM struts back in. They will break again on the dot at 60k miles. Good aftermarket brands will last forever.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It was the front passenger and was just south of $700. The part alone was $485. The shop I go to will only use genuine BMW parts so repairs can get pricey.

I could have bought one of these:

https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-E38-7-Series-Front-Window-Regulator-By-Uro-p/51338125201-202prm.htm

and done it myself but I am short on time this month and I need the car. Plus, I read that even though they advertise as being improved they are still crap compared to OEM and will fail soon. Since I am selling the car soon I just didn't want to be "that guy", even though I probably just flushed $500 down the drain....

13. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Interesting the one in your link comes with the motor.
    I did a front one in my E39 and rear on my E38, and both required swapping in the old motor (broken plastic pulley on both, motor and gearbox were fine).

Very nice of you to pay for OEM part :)
    A Uro "Premium" went in the E38 and it's been working fine (daily) so far, hope it holds out until I sell probably next year....

14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jesus, go to a different mechanic! I had both of mine replaced with labor for 300-350 a piece. The Uro ones are half the price and 10x better! LOL

That OEM part will break again, just not on your watch I guess. I did my driver side last time, and I have zero doubt that it was the 3rd regulator to go in there.

15. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
  16. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I've read good things about them, but if OEM/Uro ones last 10+ years unless you plan on keeping your car forever (which I wouldn't fault you for!) not worth the money.

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Uro is not OEM. Have any of you guys upgraded your speakers? The sound system is good but I'd prefer the speakers to be a bit better. Looking into it in the next few weeks. But if it's a big hassle of retrofitting to fit doors then I'm not doing it.

18. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    True. But I've had one in my E39 for close to 10 years with almost daily use so in my experience at least they're approximately as durable.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #169 Bas, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not just speakers but I'm pretty upset the Dynavin setup doesn't fit in the E38 properly...I hate CD's, **** I don't even have a cd/dvd/bluray drive in my computer anymore. The FM transmitter things you plug into cigarette lighter all have bad sound quality (especially on low tones doesn't transmit well at all). I guess one option is a bluetooth amp that actually does all the sound. But the Dynavin is just complete IMO, everything from music to satnav all on the same unit.

20. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I pulled out my faded rear package shelf and rear sun shade today. I'm going to repaint them with a flexible coating (SEM Landau Black) and redo the rear speakers as well. I may just leave them out until I have new shocks installed...not a job I want to do twice. I removed the package shelf and sun shade without taking the seatbacks/head rests out. It was a tight fit. Still not sure how to remove the powered head rests for the rear seat, if I should need to - any tips?

I read somewhere that if your headliner is giving up adhesion, steam it with a hand-held steamer and then press it back onto the backing with a clean paint roller. I tried this with the c-pillar covers, since they were out of the car and it was easy to do. We shall see how long this works. Parts of my headliner are starting to look saggy as well, though it's not super obvious yet.

21. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I haven't tried replacing any speakers yet. I used the sagging headliner as an excuse to have it switched to suede. I was planning on doing it at some point anyway.

22. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Are you having it recovered, or doing it yourself? Are you going to do the A, B, C pillars as well?

23. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I did it a few years ago. I just pulled it out along with the pillars. Had it redone with suede then reinstalled it.

24. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Drove to the grocery store last night and got a "Check coolant level" warning just as I shut the car off in the parking lot. Opened the hood and there was coolant splattered on the top (there's a seam about 1" from the top, that's where the coolant was) of the overflow reservoir. This same reservoir was just replaced - so, what do you guys think? Did the new reservoir fail?

25. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Very odd. Actually sounds like the bleed screw or cap must be loose. If reservoir is good then that is what I would look for first.