BMW DESIGN...love it or hate it? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

BMW DESIGN...love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by need4speed, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. reinerkaiser

reinerkaiser Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Reiner Kaiser
    BMW never built a good-looking car, if you don't count the old M1!
    But the old 7 and the old 3 (especially M) looked ok.

However, that said, all the new designs look like crap.
    Am I getting old? Or take a Z8. I guess it looks decent, but
    more in the sense of "homely", not "sexy/cool" like a Ferrari
    or Lambo! Why can't Germans build cars like that?
    I guess it's the understatement thing!

2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It's sad when the experience of motors for a child happens with a Mercedes and not a BMW. :(

3. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    This pic from the Roundel itself, it does look like a pontiac GrandAm

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Actually the GrandAm looks more masculine and the bimmer looks...well....

5. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    I am very disappointed with BMW's current generation designs. They seem to be following an Asian design influence, and they are doing a very bad job at it. They had the potential to start clean with the resurrection of the 6 Series, but they blew it.

It's not hard to consider Audi as a viable car. The A8 is something that impresses me to no end. I'm waiting for the S8's release. It's about the only sedan that I would consider.

When the AWD Chrysler 300C with the 6.1 Hemi (430 HP/ 470 ft-lbs of torque) hits the floor earlt next year, that might be something to look at too.

Brad

6. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    I have owned several BMW's through the years, starte with a Bavaria, 3.0csi, 530i, 535i, 735, Euro M635csi and IMHO they have lost it completely.
    The design style they are following is compeltely and ASIAN style, nothing wrong with it if your NISAN, TOYOTA or HONDA, but it does work on a german car. They have lost their edge.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There's an article in April's CAR mag about the designer of the late 80's through early 90's BMWs, up the the recently deceased 5 series... apparently he stabbed and killed his deranged adult son in a household spat in the mid-90's. Didn't serve much time, but obviously didn't get hired at BMW again. Sad, sad story, esp. for BMW lovers.

8. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I think Bangle and Donkervoortdingleball gave the hapless kid an OD of their flame surfacing mushrooms...Sad end to a nice career for the father, sad end to drivers cars...see newest Automobile drive of 6'er...:(

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm currently driving an '02 530I that is due to go back in a couple of months. When I went to the dealer to talk about another 5, I looked at the new one and sald, "It looks like the Maxima on steroids." My sales guy looked at one of his buddies and said something like, "That's what I've been saying all along." Oh, and the lease numbers are about $150 a month more than what I was paying for the same car. Pretty hefty inflation, bad dollar, and of course, lower residuals than the old 5 series.

Moved on the the X3 for a look. Sales guy said, "It's the best sales tool for the X5 BMW could have sent us." I think that pretty much says it all.

The rear on the 7 series looks like a kit car.

Don't hold your breath on the 3's, they are sure to follow suit with the 5,6, and 7.

10. ForzaMe

ForzaMe Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    From most ugly to cool

new 7
    new 5
    tie - new 6/new Z4

So I guess they're beginning to straighten things out.
    But have you seen those weirdo flower rims on the new 6?
    Holy shat, they're ugly... and make the car look ugly. Look at the difference a nice set of rims make...

11. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    You read my mind!

12. I loved bmw's old designs the 5 series the 7 the X5 and others espacially the M models. The new 7 series is a very nice car Im still not to fond of the interior. But the cars that are coming out the 1-2 and X3 are horrible just cars to flood the market with and make money. I also hear BMW is having some quality control issues. I would buy MB over Bmw any time now I like the designs much better.

As others said the 3 series is the only car I would get now the M3 looks wonderfull with 19's.