BMW engine evolution in F1 | FerrariChat

BMW engine evolution in F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jun 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I found this very interesting paper (co-authored by Mario Theissen).

Interesting to see that not only Ferrari and Toyota where exploring a return of the V12 engine in 1998-2001, but so was BMW until the FIA shut it down.

The final bit is very interesting as well, that with the final version of their V8 they basically had the same engine power as they did 10 years earlier with their V10, despite losing 20% capacity and engine lifetime was increased fivefold.

Another interesting bit is that because of sudden FIA interference, BMW didn't explore direct injection at all, this would've seen power increase also. I don't think it's too far-fetched that had F1 stuck with V10's through the V8 period, even with the 5x increase in engine life, the 1000bhp barrier would've easily been broken, let alone had the FIA allowed more than 100 bar fuel pressure so that direct injection would've been worth it.

The engine weight even today astonishes me. 82 kg for a 950bhp V10 that lasted 1600km. 69kg possible for the V8 if it was allowed!

http://sd-2.archive-host.com/membres/up/10237196789579146/moteurs_BMW_F1.pdf

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The engine in my Fiat X1/9 weighted more than 69 Kg and only had 72 HP.

Bas likes this.
  3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Great paper - thanks!

Didn't realize they had cylinder bore integral with the cylinder on the later engine. Not a new concept but just image the cylinder head machining complications.

Bas likes this.
  4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I found the paper fascinating. I'm not the most technical guy but everything was explained so well. I'm always in awe of the 3 liter NA era. The way they ramped up the power from 2002-2005 is amazing.

Imagine if the FIA didn't mandate V10's, but just kept it at 3 liters? I don't think the outcome in WDC/WCC would've been any different (given how much more Schumacher enjoyed driving with V12's, how he could manipulate the car better), but especially post 2002 when the packaging standard Ferrari set, we could probably have some really interesting concepts. I'm sure we would've seen a couple of very tight (for the time) V8 cars, and some utterly glorious V12's alongside the V10's...

375+ and ingegnere like this.
  5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Schumi only drove the 1995 V12 after his signing, before his first season using the new V10, yes? If I recall correctly he said he could have won the 95 championship in that car. As it was, it only won one race.

Was never a fan of the V10s - preferred the high-revving V8s, but especially the v12s. The most vicious sounding V12 ever was the '94 Ferrari. I recall the sound it made exiting the "improvised" chicane on the front straight of the Montreal circuit - it was literally an assault on the senses!

Still regarding V10s, I still remember Irvine (coming form a Peugeot-powered Jordan in 1995) on his first test with the V10 powered Ferrari in '96 describing the engine as "just another V10", ha-ha.

stavura, 375+ and Bas like this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Schumi's exact words where (acknowledging that the Ferrari wasn't the best car, either) ''I could've won the title easier in this car''. Schumi quickly beat the pace of all Alesi/Berger and the test team within a few laps. He was able to use the torque and engine braking to manipulate the car much easier with the V12.

I loved the V10's. V12's where my favourite but the V10's had such a great sound. The V8's weren't very pleasant to hear, especially the Honda. The last V10's actually revved higher than the V8's did, as they where rev capped (I do remember the Cosworth V8 on the test bench breaking 21K rpm!).

But yes...The V12's provided the most beautiful F1 noise ever, full stop.

ingegnere, stavura and 375+ like this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As I recall the Honda V12 had a harsh and unpleasant exhaust note.

Bas likes this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The Honda V8 wasn't pleasant on the ears, either. Mclaren Honda V6 had a very erm, distinct noise also (and I don't mean coming from the Spaniard driving that thing about, either).

I spot a trend....

ingegnere and 375+ like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    And their leaf blowers are incredibly annoying. I suspect that something sinister is afoot o_O has Honda been weaponizing sound--what will they do to Formula E?

ingegnere and Bas like this.
  10. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    My Honda lawn mower is powered by a GP2 motor.

ingegnere, stavura and Bas like this.
  11. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Said all the people who had to follow Senna around . . . .

ingegnere likes this.
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    LOL. But in fact the V12 Honda did not dominate as much as the V6-T and V10 cars, though it did a job job its first year.

13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Forgot above the rev restrictions on the V8's - must have been thinking about the 21K being promised by the Cosworth.

Even as a novice spectator, even I could identify the distinctive V12 sound announcing the unseen arrival of a Matra or Alfa V12 car so distinct and lovely was the sound.

Bas likes this.
  14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Cosworth got it to run well on the dyno, but it kept failing in races.

Bas likes this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 yep

Bas likes this.