News

BMW guys on FerrariChat?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by DriveAfterDark, May 14, 2011.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    They are great cars, especially for commuting. They are more nimble than the previous generation and more engaging to drive, but still not on the level of an E39 chassis. The BMW straight 6 is a gem, always has been, and the new one has some nice power to match. One big drawback---the driver assist is HORRIBLE. Its so bad, my local dealer disables it on loaner cars because they are afraid someone is going to get into an accident. It gets confused by various road markers and will jerk the wheel violently because it thinks you are leaving your lane. If you aren't ready for it, it will scare the crap out of you. The adaptive cruise control is also complete junk in that it drives with all the finesse of an alcoholic. If this is the best BMW can do, Tesla can sleep easy at night.

I also have some gripes with material choices--- the center console cover is untrimmed along the edge so when it is open it looks like a rough cut piece of plastic, the aluminum look is not very convincing and the dash materials have definitely taken a step back, but this is more nitpicking--especially for a daily driver. All in all, its a really good car and an improvement over the previous generation.

GuyIncognito and tantumaude like this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Professional Ferrari Technician Consultant

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Make sure it has an extended warranty, or you purchase an aftermarket warranty. Nice cars, but when stuff goes south (especially the electronics) your wallet is in for a rough ride with zero lube.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Have done a bit more researching and I really thing BMW was just being lazy and saying it was the transfer case. My symptoms just don't match. Pulled the underbody plastic off and saw this very scored driveshaft.

Image Unavailable, Please Login 20190708_222248 by Alex Eichmiller, on Flickr

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Driveshaft is rubbing on the heatsheild. Move it away, no issue.

Front driveshaft is however well known for u-joint failure. They can be rebuilt contariy to BMW.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Took a look at the u-joint as well. Symptoms I was looking for is the "red dust". There is some rust and corrosion, but i don't see what was described as u-joint wear. How much should the driveshaft move with the car in park?

Image Unavailable, Please Login 20190708_222253 by Alex Eichmiller, on Flickr

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Take the shaft down and check it. It should move freely in all directions. It the only way to know.

Devilsolsi likes this.
  7. DIE_SILBERPFEILE

May 28, 2010
    buenos aires, argentina
    Full Name:
    gustavo
    hi, price???

8. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sorry man, already paid it forward to bart12

9. 1guy

1guy Rookie

May 25, 2014
    kansas city
    Full Name:
    bill
  10. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I do like these a lot. I'd settle for a V8 840i

bart12 likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Love it. And the E38 next to it as well.

I spent this past weekend reading up all about the E46 design failure. So sad as I love the design of that car...last good looking 3 series imo. I couldn't believe why BMW designed it that way...the rear subframe literally mounts to sheet metal (couple of them) and NOT the frame of the car. Hence why it cracks over time and in particular with cars driven harder (i.e. M3). The BMW solution was to inject resin that hardens to eliminate the space between the sheet metal panels, but it still didn't fix the issue as the subframe was still not connected to the frame. The aftermarket "reinforcement" plates don't do much either except shift load and cracking elsewhere on the panel. This is the panel and costs $7k to replace with labor, but will still crack over time: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/rear-sub-frame-support-panel/41117000246/

I've been looking for a 2003+ E46 wagon to do an S54 swap and that is now scaring me. Only solution I see is to weld in metal bracing back there to connect to the frame rails to subframe mounting points...almost like a crossbar/cage just for the rear.

E46 and Z8 both with garbage chassis, but drop dead gorgeous design and nice engines...

Tu160bomber and bart12 like this.
  12. bart12

bart12 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2008
    Dallas/Westtexas
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    My M5 is always ready to give me a smile.

I added a GROM audio wireless bluetooth where all connections are hidden then added a iphone wired charger on the glove box so now its basically a more modern car.

Then i added a LOUD version of a TUBI exhaust and its perfect. Actually, the loud version is not really loud like catless or a ferrari but gave it a growl which I like.

Who cares about depreciation.

Image Unavailable, Please Login