BMW new 5 series beauty!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

BMW new 5 series beauty!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PSk, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    This is not my car, but mine is exactly the same: Same model, year, color and options.
    This is a 2003 530, Bluewater with Sport Package. The Sport Package includes 17" wheels and lowered sport suspension. What someone here called bland I see as classic and elegant (which never goes out of style). To each his own.

2. WilliamT

WilliamT Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    William
    I remember reading somewhere recently that Bangle is on his way out.
    I'm not a big fan of the 7 or 5 series, but do like the 6 and upcoming 4 series.

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    #28 whart, Jan 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, being totally fed up with the nouvelle BMW sedans, but still loving how their cars drive, i brought home this little beauty last nite:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    M3, Imola Red. NICE. Which transmission?

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    SMG. Couldn't resist.

6. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    The only thing I like about the new E60 5-series is that it makes my old E34 525i look classic and elegant... I think I'll save my money and hold on to my car a few years longer without feelings of envy seeing the new design on the road... All I can say is yuck...

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    went to the 5 series launch in September, took it for a drive, impressive car, UGLY, UGLy, UGLY and did I mention it was UGLY.

It only looked marginally better than the 7 series it was parked near and I was glad for my 99 model which is a class design.

I quite like the superceded 5 series and will be trading to it next time not the UGLY newcomer!

The 3 series is the prettiest but a womans car for all intentional purposes (sorry to all the ladies but it is a practical shopping cart :) )

8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Moretti: That would be "for all intents and purposes." At least us ladies speak the Queen's English. **

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Bwahahahahaha...As an owner of an M5, 750, Z8, and past owner of several M3's and a 3 cabrio, I respectfully suggest you're full of it. A 325 will run rings around your Avatar, with 3 people on board. I don't like Bangle or I-drive, as both detract from the experience. 3 series is all that is left to keep BMW afloat. BTW, more women drive 7'ers than men. Our 750 is my wife's car.

From the looks of my local dealer's service department, the new 7 is the auto equivalent of a bad MS product...patches for the patches. All that and ugly too. I drove the 1st one local store got, ran well, but what a waste.

New five and X3 are 1st BMW's in 25 years I didn't want to test drive, actually turned down offer of 545 for w/e. I'm 1st on list for E60 M5, been there since I picked up my E39 M5. Doubtful I'll take it after seeing it, no matter how well it runs.

10. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John

HAHAHAHAHAA good one :)

A 325 couldn't drive out of sight on a dark night with the lights turned off!!

3 people on board !!! It would be lucky to move off the line, go back to the BMW forum with that crap!

I've heard this BS from heaps of BM drivers but when it comes to the track I have yet to see anything other than special M3s do the business.

I've also heard that WRXs will flog the poor old GT4 but still haven't seen one pass me on the track yet.

Bottomline, BMs are dead ducks on the track bit nice to drive on the open road.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think the NEW 5 series is begining to grow on me, and each time a see one I find new things to like about its shape. The interior I don't care for as much, but with time that may change as well. My brother just ordered one (530 sport) so I may get a chance to drive it as well.

I recently bought a 01 540i M-Sport edition up in Canada and imported it into the states. Comes standard with all the sport package options, but adds the M5 cosmetics.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    another view

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  14. moulag

moulag Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    liked the ad

15. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Umm, Like I said, It'll pass the Bertone Lump like it was parked, as will my Cooper JCW, or my 750iL with my kids in the back, wife at wheel. :D

Perhaps you need to go back to your forum, I'm on a few and have never heard such nonsense from a GT4 owner. Ask any real club racer, or anybody on here who tracks their car. I'd run ya for pinks, but I don't want anything you own ;) JK

Mr.green...your cousin???

16. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Well, i guess goodwill extends beyond Lambos.

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    <<well the funny thing about the number of hours they spent on the 360 and still getting it wrong is amusing.

I know a few people who have resorted to putting a wing on their car (something Aircon and I would never consider!! Right PP?) as the 360 seems to suffer severe lose of downforce when the car is at certain angles to the road at very high speeds!!
    This allows the car to move about dangerously (spin, spin, spin) so the thousands of hours didn't help there.

The Enzo has got movable wings which come into operation as the speeds increases (some actually retract!! as the speed goes up) so maybe the 2000 hrs is all they needed to prove the stability whereas the 360 needed more as they were trying to prove it didn't need it ??
    >>

Here is a Comm engineer's insight on how Ferrari Screwed up on the 360 too with 2000hrs in tunnel. Gee, how have all the F1 teams and manufacturers missed picking up this guy to refine their products...

I mean, he and Ellen can get BMW and Ferrari turned around...besides, Morettis personality is like Bangle's(you're all wrong, I'm a genius) from looking at his 9 posts.

BTW WHart, the M3 is pretty, SMG only way in that car. Wish my E39M5 had it....

18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    you have a problem dude, I have been on this and the previous forum since the beginning and just because I don't spend my whole life posting insults (sure you're not AL in drag?) doesn't make me an idiot.

I like what I own AND I like what you have owned but don't try to convince me that BMWs are better than Fcars, especially wheezy 325s and barges like 750s.

Judging from what you have owned and currently own I'd expect to like you in person but slagging off a man's Fcar is not on and you know it but want a rise out of me,..and you got it so good on you, feel better ?

I've rebuilt many cars in my time and had several other jobs before my current one (I was an aircraft engineer before) so now you are saying that a comms engineer is not permitted to express their opinion on a stupid OT BMW thread when he has driven the damn thing, has owned several others and driven all manner of sports cars for the last 30 years on and off the track.

Oh, and BTW, you may (or probably may not) notice that all the 360Ch cars ended up with wings after all the non-winged crashes they had in the early events, if Ferrari got it so right why did they do this?

Anyway, I'll put you in my buddies list as I'm sure you're a nice guy and probably just having a bad day, or two :)

We are all Ferrari brethren aren't we ??

19. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    one other quick reply,

BMW 325 = 184hp/1460kg
    BMW 750 = 300hp/1860kg

GT4 = 255hp/1300kg

I'd leave the kids out if I were you, mine is a Euro spec car, not the wheezy version you poor buggers got :)

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Another fine post Moulag. Reviewing your wonderful contributions to Ferrarichat (in your profile), it seems all you can do is post pictures. :)

Drive on...

21. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dave H, quite like the model (01) you got and am considering the swap to it right now after just visiting the local BMer dealer.

It retains the classy lines of my model 5 series but adds a nice agressive front and rear treatment.

I found little difference between the 540 and 530 in real terms to justify the extra money but either is a nice car to drive if a bit dispossessing.

You always seem like a passenger in the 5s and 7s but a bit more involved in the 3s, 635 and 850 although I have not driven an M5 so they may be the exception to the generalisation in the 5s.

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The M-Sport version with the M5 body kit was only available in the States in 03', hence my trot across the border to Canada, where it was available since 01'. I would agree that there is a significant cost difference to cut the 0-60 time by one second...otherwise the 530 and 540 are pretty similar. I have driven a friends 330 and like the size a bit better, but didn't feel comfortable driving something that is so common in my neighborhood. I felt the 5 is more of an "adult" car, and suited me better, now that I have reached the ripe old age of 42 yo. But the 5 feels "big" to me and a bit of a pig when pushing it in the corners.

23. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Congrats whart - I have the same car in silver. You will enjoy it.. Have fun.

24. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    agree totally Dave although I found that if you turn the ASC off and hammer it in Steptronic mode you can have some fun :)

I'm 48 and have done some silly things as a youth such as outrunning the cops and street racing (in deserted industrial zones - still didn't make it right) then went track racing in underpowered sports cars (MGs, Hondas, FIATs) so now find the 5 a mature car for my old age and am about to swap the GT4 for a 328 with 106K kms on the clock but still love my old 2300S FIAT coupe which was clocked by the police in the outback of Australia at 237kph on laser (which my brother was driving at the time).

I'm heading oer to the US for he monterey thing and want to go to the Boeing facility in Seattle (old loves die hard :) ), wouldn't mind having a coffee and a chat if you are in town.

Cheers

John

25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I love Ferraris. They are my favorite cars. In an ideal world I would drive nothing but fcars. I love BMWs they are my second favorite cars. I have/had a number of BMWs from 3.0CSi to 633CSi to the 750iL.

750s will CRUSH a 308GT4 in a straight, any straight, all the time. And its 326 HP with 360 ft-lb, with intake limiters; and without them, the 750 gains a noteable punch in the 70+.

With modern Tires, and equal drivers, the 308GT4 will crush the E38 in a autocross course, and slightly beat it on a very very twisty track. Any normal track the 308GT4 will lose if E38 has the sport package (lateral grip is around .86 with standard sport package, and around .88-89 with the version I use with 255s in the front, and 285 or 295s in the rear).

Braking if the 308 has stock means the 750 will beat it, unless its a long track, where the weight will induce fading.

Driving dynamics, the 7er will be easy to drive, as it really is.

Again I am being objective, as I love both marques very much. A slightly 'modernized' (brakes and tires mainly) GT4 will be a decent match against a 7er.