BMW new 5 series beauty!!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

BMW new 5 series beauty!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PSk, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Omar:
    I agree ;) The intake cleanup, K&N's, and 3.15 rear, plus 245/275 Pilots with H&R's made a nice car into a very hard runner. My wife had M3/4 5spd a few years back, and she loves the E38 more than that car.

Hope something changes @ BMW soon. But, may force me to get Maser QP. My wife liked it on the website. Wish it had a 12 though.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Just wondering, where did get the 3.15 from? With LS or without? And finally, how low did you go with the springs?

3. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    3.15 LS OEM 740i Sport part...also avail aftermarket, but ours was oem. Springs dumped it too low, so fiddled with several sets. Looked great, but rubbed speed bumps @ sons school. Grrrr. Now only a bit .5 lower than stock.

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I only just saw this! You're right, I'd rather be 2 seconds a lap slower than put a wing on my car and spoil the designer's good work! BUT...how on earth did you know?

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sfumato,
    Are you sure the stock (sport) 3.15 diff is "limited slip"? I ask, because in looking through the Dinan catalog, that is one of the upgrades they offer, to convert to limited slip. I know on my 540ia M-sport, if I turn off the DSC and traction control, I can get some pretty impressive amounts of wheel spin on dry pavement. :) The 5 series catalog makes no mention of it being limited slip, not that this couldn't be in error...

Dave

6. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Dave:
    It's an LS, but not a quaife. Bought it thru parts network, stock is 3.15 non-LS on 740 sport, but LS is in pipeline, if you know where to look :)

I could bust 'em loose nicely with my M5 as well, but it had LS+ASC. 540 does not have LS standard, I am unsure about 540iS.

FWIW
    Lee

7. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Lee:

The 540 sport does not have a LSD either. One of the few drawbacks of the car IMHO.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks for the explaination Lee. I looked through some of the BMW option codes and find that there IS a LS diff, but no explaination of what is was available on...M5 as standard? Anyway, I am quite certain my 540 m-sport does NOT have LS, based on it's behavior. But if I felt the need (I don't) my local dealer carries Dinan. They did do the software upgrade to the engine management, only adds a few hp and improves the mid rpm response, but more importantly got rid of the 128mph speed limiter...so now I can keep up with the rest of the F-car gang if my 328GTS is in the shop.

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Yes, I had a 540i6 before my M5, and it was a great car. M5 is amazing. Too bad new E60 is diluted, distracting. I had the E38 750 in yesterday for wiper blades, and I looked at everything again. I don't even want to sit in the 5er, and I tried the back of a 760, doesn't look or feel as nice as ours.

750iL sport comes with a 2.73 intergalactic final drive. 3.15 made huge difference, mileage is better around town. Now you can hang the tail in it, but not many places.