BMW tech question? | FerrariChat

BMW tech question?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jdubbya, Jan 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So it's not a Ferrari, or even Italian. But I've got an issue on my '03 330Ci that is driving me nuts and thought someone here might be able to help. I've searched (**gasp**) "other" forums but none of the answers I've found have been the cure yet.

The dash warning light came on for the right headlight (should indicate a bulb out). This warning light includes EVERY light associated with the right front of the car, low and high beam headlight, turn signal, side repeater, and fog light. Most of the answers I've found elsewhere say to check grounds, check bulbs, and as a last resort change the sockets.

So I've done almost all of that and I can't seem to get the light to go off. I put in new sockets for both headlights, new bulbs for them also and new turn signal bulb (bought a new socket for that one too but got the wrong one). I just got the new sidemarker bulbs today so will replace that tonight.

I should have said, all the lights come on, work fine, turn signals flash faster than normal because the warning light is on, but other than that they ALL are working just fine.

I also read that the lighting control module which is behind the switch could be the issue. In most cases what people say is it is a bad connection like a plug or bulb with corrosion. Everything I've looked at looks great, all shiny and new looking. I also put Stabilant on all of the connectors with no effect.

I haven't taken the fog light out yet so I'll do that tonight too and check that socket and bulb but man this is driving me nuts. Oh, and I also found where all the grounds go to one common point and I took that apart and cleaned and added Stabilant to those.

After checking the fog light and replacing the side marker bulbs I'm about out of ideas. Hopefully someone here will have some new ones!!

Thanks!
    John

2. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    LKM can cause this, but it's usually a rear bulb warning. if you have Xenon, the level mechanism can be malfunctioning even if bulbs are lit.

If it is the LKM, reflowing the solder joints on the circuit board may fix it.

3. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Do you have a BMW code scanner? The trouble codes (DTCs) can provide additional information on what is causing your problem. After tying a fix, you can also turn off the warning light to see if the fix has worked.

4. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Had a similar issue with wife's 535i and I put the incorrect wattage bulb which soon as I corrected it the dash light went out on its own.

5. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry I should have mentioned it's halogen so no leveling mechanism. The front warning came on a while back but the lights work just fine. After I started messing with the front lights then the back came on. But I did find a bad bulb back there, not out, but as I was taking the right side apart the bulb almost fell apart in my hands.

It doesn't show anything on a basic code reader. I bought a cable and have downloaded INPA and NCS but I haven't played with them yet. I need to figure that out anyway so I can reset the airbag light after replacing the blown safety connector on the battery cable.

It only came on after I owned it for a while and I hadn't touched the headlights. I wish it were that easy!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess worse case scenario is it's either the module (about $400) or a ground fault/short somewhere. But I thought it was odd the lights were working just fine and the warning came on.

I didn't get to the fog light or side marker bulb last night and I'm still waiting on the tail light bulbs to show up. So hopefully one of those fixes it!!

6. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I have a '04 E46 3-series coupe. I have a BMW-specific code reader which provides much more information than a generic one. If you do a lot of your own troubleshooting, it might be a good investment.

7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I can get to all that and more with the cable and INPA or NCS but I haven't played with them yet.

wmuno likes this.