BMW Z8: Structurally shaky? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

BMW Z8: Structurally shaky?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by tfazio, Jan 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    The Z8 was designed under Chris Bangle. :) Modern classic.

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    drove my friends on several occasions...a nice drive, nice engine from the m5 and solid feeling car....the center instruments drive my crazy and its seems stupid to put them out of the line of sight...its almost the opposite of the heads up display..its like a head to the side, eyes off the road display...all for the sake of getting a clean art deco look, form over function in its worst example...i would buy one if not for this feature....

3. waldo

waldo Rookie

May 23, 2004
    Arizona
    According to the Z8 brochures I have, the list is accurate. The interior of the car listed in that ad is Crema. With the exception of the Bright Red Z8's, the painted instrument panel matches the exterior of the car. Bright Red Z8's have black instrument panels. Crema/Black and Red/Black refer to a mix of those two colors in the leather portions of the seats.

[/QUOTE=Koby]The Z8 was designed under Chris Bangle. Modern classic.[/QUOTE]

It is my understanding that while Chris Bangle was in charge of BMW's design department when the Z8 was released, Henrik Fisker has been widely credited with designing the Z8.

[/QUOTE=ryalex]Andrew Macpherson, a Los Angeles-based commercial photographer and president of the U.S. club, says he has checked his Z8 (one of three he has owned) and found no distended parts. But Macpherson refuses to drive his car nonetheless for fear that hitting a bump or pothole could result in a problem.[/QUOTE]

Macpherson has owned three Z8's and still has a pristine low mileage '02. His 50K mile '01 had shock tower deformation issues. He has mentioned that he does not want to drive his as new '02 Z8 until BMW can offer an explanation and a fix for this issue.

I was planning on buying a Z8 this spring/summer, but I'm going to wait to see how BMW handles this before I pull the trigger.

It looks like I still need practice perfecting the art of quoting multiple posts.

Best Regards,
    waldo

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I think everyone should ask Sfumato about BMW's customer service before pulling the trigger on a Z8.

I'll give you a hint, he'll never buy another BMW product because of it...

5. waldo

waldo Rookie

May 23, 2004
    Arizona
    Oh why ruin my dream of owning a Z8 with tales of bad customer service and inadequately designed aluminum frames? While I've spent the last year and half stationed overseas, I've been trying to decide which sports car to buy when I get back to the states. ZO6? AMV8? 997C2S? 996TT? 987S? F355? Z8? After much thought and deliberation, I finally decide on the Z8. Now the frame issue comes up.

I may just take it as a sign from the almighty to forget the Z8, continue to save my money for another 2 years, and buy a Ford GT.

cheers,
    waldo

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    It wasn't the frame, they never could get the engine to work correctly. Car spent more than 150 days in the shop over two years...

7. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I sold the first one in Texas when I was with BMW. The owner of the car let me drive it for a day before he took delivery. It was $128K. Solid as a rock. He had no trouble with his at all. He is a long time BMW owner and has at least three of them in his garage at any time---along with a few more interesting items.

8. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    [ QUOTE ] opens the quote.

[ QUOTE=username ] is when you want to identify the original submitter.

[ /QUOTE ] closes the quote no matter which type.

All tags need to be typed without the spaces I included. Yours were messed up because you included the "/" in your Open Quote tags. Hopefully this will help for next time. :cool:

>8^)
    ER

9. waldo

waldo Rookie

May 23, 2004
    Arizona

Got it. Thanks!

10. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name: