DFW - Boardwalk Ferrari Fall Concorso 11/12/22 10am | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DFW Boardwalk Ferrari Fall Concorso 11/12/22 10am

Discussion in 'Texas' started by SAFE4NOW, Oct 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    There were at least three instances on Saturday where people said something to me in the effect of "there's a back lot?". :) There were a LOT of cars back there, mine included....

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sounds exactly what we need! Does Boardwalk still do FCA memberships with car sales?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    No. Most of those members, at the time, never renewed, so no return on the investment.

However, I offer as many benefits to FCA and FC members as possible to add value for the members.
    $175.00 buy in gets 10x the benefit.

Steve

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's great, especially in these times when Ferrari shops have more business than they can handle efficiently.

tomc, SAFE4NOW and crinoid like this.
  5. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I enjoyed my time at the show as it was my first since moving here from California and congrats to the winners. :)
    I would like to see modified categories added for shows that are judged.
    I like making my car my own and it’s typically why I don’t enter judging’s as it gets looked down on or disregarded.

My 348 spider is modified with 360 wheels, custom stereo, fabspeed headers & shields (the sacrilege!) and there were many other modified cars too that get disregarded in judging’s as they are not “as they left factory”.
    I stopped being a member of the FCA in California when I lived there as I did not seem to fit.

Something I will never forget:
    I went on an FCA drive in California and during the lunch stop everyone was talking about the service on their cars and I said, “I work on my car myself when possible and just recently pulled and replaced my headers”.
    Several people looked at me with this blank stare and one guy spoke up said these exact words:
    “You work on your own car; I just write the check” which some people at the table laughed at.
    I knew right there this was not for me and let my membership drop.
    I like to work on my car when I can, and I like to drive the crap out of it on back twisty roads and I don’t just write the check.

Maybe the FCA here is different, not sure yet but like I said maybe consider some modified categories for shows.

tomc and SAFE4NOW like this.
  6. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    “Maybe the FCA here is different”

I know you will find members from all walks of life in the DFW chapter from full on mechanics to don’t know a boxed end wrench from a Phillips screwdriver. I like it like that as I can learn something from everyone. I have not met anyone that has disrespected me or made a snide remark at my expense. It’s a typical club that you’ll get back what you put in. The most important thing is don’t leave your sense of humor at home as you’re in Texas now.

jeffb99tx, SAFE4NOW and tomc like this.
  7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    We've got a few in just our Ft Worth group who do their own work just because they enjoy it, from "What if I....?", to engine-outs and suspension rebuilds.
    I expect that Dallas has its own, too.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You might want to lower your shields around this group, we’re not a judgmental bunch. Unless someone is a jerk. :) But they’ve put up with me for 20+ years!

Out local FCA buddy Mike W won a lot of shows in his modified 458, including the Modern V8 category at Boardwalk. The car had a body kit, custom wheels with raised letter tires and STICKERS! Not to mention the badge on the back that said “1 of 1 R”. Mike had a lot of fun poked at him but the car was damn cool and drew crowds wherever it went.

Regarding the comment about writing the check, that sounds exactly like something I’d say. Not in a derogatory way, but because I don’t have the skills to do it myself….

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The "FCA" here is not a monolithic block. We have folks who have significantly hot-rodded and modified machines, and we have folks with meticulously maintained time capsules. Some folks like to spin a wrench, and others open a checkbook. Some like fancy dinners and some like road trips and BBQ. And a lot like all of it.

Just relax and enjoy the folks, and start with the assumption that we're mostly good folks who might like to pull a chain once in a while :)

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for all of the comments everyone. :)
    Sounds like its different here and that's great, one of the many reasons I left California.

tomc and SAFE4NOW like this.
  11. Chewys5

Chewys5 Formula 3
    Miami 2018 Owner

May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn R
    Lol!!

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    FWIW, the Boardwalk event is a peoples choice event, its a really cool and interesting car show.

While I personally have immersed myself into the IAC/PFA world by becoming a judge at Cavallino & other FCA National/Regional events, not every owner is interested in that.

I don't have anything against personalized vehicles, its your car, do what makes you happy. When I had the 308, the very first thing I did was research if there was anything unique about it , then made the chose to change wheels, perform some repairs with non-OEM parts, etc. It's current owner is going even farther with what I believe is a wide body kit, performance adders, upgraded brakes, and more.

Where-as some special cars, IMO need to be kept "as delivered" to preserve the brand.

All of this to say, we are glad you are here, we are glad you have made your Ferrari your own, and we look forward to having you out in 2023 to all the events we have planned for members!

If you haven't already, contact FCA and change your membership to South Central Region, DFW Chapter so you get our weekly notices of events.
    I can help if you'd like as well.

BTW, have you met Mr. Bunch yet? ;-)

Steve

13. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks Steve,
    I have not been a member for many years now.
    I will try and get out to some local stuff and meet people that I see posted here in the Texas section.

VelocityTexas and SAFE4NOW like this.